What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels five-eighth Ben Roberts hitting his stride

Parra Pride

Referee
616709-ben-roberts.jpg

Ben Roberts is hitting his straps with the return of Parramatta club favourite Jarryd Hayne offering him and Chris Sandow plenty of support. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE 13,158 fans who turned up at Parramatta Stadium last weekend were not the only ones to celebrate the return of club favourite Jarryd Hayne.

It seems teammate Ben Roberts took his game to a whole new level with The Hayne Train back on the rails and at his disposal.

After a shocking month in the blue and gold, Roberts hopes he can continue his on-field chemistry with Hayne and Chris Sandow on Sunday in Newcastle as the club tries to drag itself off the bottom of the NRL ladder.

One of the toughest and fittest players at the Eels, Roberts, 26, said of teaming up with excitement machine Hayne this weekend: "Jarryd is the kind of guy who can win a game on his own. Having him on the field is a huge relief and he takes the pressure of myself and Chris Sandow.

"Any team would benefit from Jarryd at the back, having his direction and loud calls.

"One of my strengths is my running game, and when Jarryd wants the ball I'm happy to be the runner."

Roberts certainly did run during Saturday night's 29-20 win over Manly as he chalked up the best statistics of his NRL career. The muscly No. 6 made 10 runs for 176m, and 10 tackle busts, including one which led to Hayne's second try.

Roberts this time last year was running around for the Bulldogs NSW Cup side. So it comes as no surprise he has no intentions of blowing his NRL second coming.

"The first four weeks were tough, there's a lot of expectation at Parramatta, and for myself I was most disappointed in my defence," Roberts said. "Over the years my defence has been one of my strengths. The first couple of games I was rusty, and it was something I've really worked on.

"As for Chrissy and I, we're both off-the-cuff players. A lot of people expected us to click overnight, and I think it's taken us a lot longer than we expected as well. We'll only get better with each week."

Ben Roberts - first four rounds:

Possessions: 30.5; Runs: 7 (55m); Kicks: 4.8 (122m); Tackles: 11; Missed tackles: 1.8; Tackle busts: 9; Linebreaks: 0

Round 5 against Manly: Possessions: 40; Runs: 10 (176m); Kicks: 7 (224m); Tackles: 12; Missed tackles: 1; Tackle busts: 10; Linebreaks: 3

MEANWHILE, Eels forward Shane Shackleton has not given up hope of pulling on the Parramatta jumper again this season.

Banished to NSW Cup side Wentworthville the first month, Shackleton did himself no favours when he labelled coach Kearney a "f...wit" on social media. Shackleton, in his final year with Parramatta, said the matter had quickly been put to bed, and did not believe it would hurt his NRL chances.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tting-his-stride/story-e6frexnr-1226320632652

Missed tackles: 1.8;

But but but he is a bad defender. :crazy:

#Roberts>TrueEEL

natheel

Coach
He's played well for us so far. Hope he continues tomorrow against newy! He and hayne look to be forming a pretty handy combo

87eelman

Juniors
"said the matter had quickly been put to bed, and did not believe it would hurt his NRL chances."

#yeahwhatevachampgoodluckwiththat

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I for one hope he backs up this performance, one swallow a summer does not make. I still don't rate him and he deserved his rocket blah blah blah.

#TrueEEL

Gronk

Staff member
Yep he needs an encore to last week to win me over. We would obviously all be pumped if he could reproduce that regularly.

Consistency has always been Bens problem. He just needs to concentrate on his own game and back himself to run the ball. At the dogs Sometimes he'd hesitate with ball because he'was always in two minds as what to do. With Hayne and Sandow in the team he just needs to take on the line just as he did against the Eagles. The rest will come.

natheel

Coach
Consistency has always been Bens problem. He just needs to concentrate on his own game and back himself to run the ball. At the dogs Sometimes he'd hesitate with ball because he'was always in two minds as what to do. With Hayne and Sandow in the team he just needs to take on the line just as he did against the Eagles. The rest will come.

i think it was against Broncos he did this a couple times. like on the third he tried to put in a little grubber behind the defensive line for the winger where all he need to do was draw in hodges and pass and we would've made some metres. I agree he just needs to concentrate on his running game when he has confidence in this the rest will come.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It's really strange that Shack called Kearney a f**kwit on twitter. What on earth was he thinking! Nothing good was ever going to come out of it.

He should be just concentrating on playing his best for Wenty and trying to pick up a contract elsewhere for next year.

TheRam

Coach
Also besides being more consistant, I would like to see him do what he did last week against better defenses.

87eelman

Juniors
Also besides being more consistant, I would like to see him do what he did last week against better defenses.

They are the defending premiers. Down on troops yes, but they weren't the premiers last year for no reason.

TheRam

Coach
They are the defending premiers. Down on troops yes, but they weren't the premiers last year for no reason.

Did you watch the game mate? That team(Manly) was playing like they dropped a couple of tabs valium before they ran out.

Pazza

First Grade
I can't count how many none parra fans laughed at me when i told them our season hangs on the form of Ben Roberts. If this guy can keep firing we are going to be a good footy team!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If he keeps going like he has been this year - being consistently solid with a blinder every five weeks - then he will be doing exactly what we need him to do.

So far he's been a great signing.