What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Part One: What Should The New Brisbane/Southern/Western/Ipswich etc Team Be Called?

What should the location identifier be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

docbrown

Coach
Brisbane
Ipswich
Ipswich-Logan
Logan
Queensland
River City
South Brisbane
South East (Eastern) Queensland
South Queensland
South West (Western) Brisbane
South West (Western) Queensland
Valleys
West (Western) Brisbane
Western Corridor
West (Western) Queensland

The top 3 choices will be combined with the top mascots in a 3rd poll so keep that in mind when you choose.

Karl

Juniors
Can you add just South-West s an option? Not South-West Brisbane, just South-West

docbrown

Coach
Can you add just South-West s an option? Not South-West Brisbane, just South-West

I can't now but if people want it then post it here and if it's more popular than the 3rd best location then I will use that instead.

Anybody else want South West?

Spitty

Juniors
Personally if they're going to use the name Western Corridor to attract fans then that'd be the best name for the club. But with Wests Tigers and WA Reds (assuming they get in), West is probably being overused. Short of that I'd go with Ipswich-Logan, something to represent the area away from generic Brisbane, inclusive enough to branch outside Ipswich alone and with some individual representation as opposed to Sth Queensland.

docbrown

Coach
Well obviously it's early days - I set a 30 day time line - but if the poll reaches 100 votes and South Queensland has 50 and no other option has more than 10 then I think you can call it early.

A choice needs at least 10% of the total vote to be popular enough to be considered later IMO.

Reborned

Juniors
Interestingly enough I was thinking about this today. The worse possible name on docbrown's list is "West (Western) Queensland". For that to be a name that represents the location of the team then this team would have to represent all of Western Queensland and not just Western Brisbane which is the attractive part of this bid.

I voted for "West (Western) Brisbane" option but I would rather it be "Western Brisbane" than "West Brisbane". It would be good to have this team referred to as "Wests" in Brisbane in everyday talk.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Interestingly enough I was thinking about this today. The worse possible name on docbrown's list is "West (Western) Queensland". For that to be a name that represents the location of the team then this team would have to represent all of Western Queensland and not just Western Brisbane which is the attractive part of this bid.

I voted for "West (Western) Brisbane" option but I would rather it be "Western Brisbane" than "West Brisbane". It would be good to have this team referred to as "Wests" in Brisbane in everyday talk.

There's already a team in Brisbane called Wests

http://www.westspanthers.com.au

sherrinator

Juniors
you bunch of sap heads. call it brisbane, play it out of milton and be done with it otherwise don't bother.

Quidgybo

Bench
you bunch of sap heads. call it brisbane, play it out of milton and be done with it otherwise don't bother.
And thereby substantially limit the ability of the side to appeal to those parts of the SE Queensland Rugby League community not already targeted by the Broncos. Very wise.

Leigh.

Last edited:

KnightsMan90

Juniors
Firstly calling the team South/Southern/West/Western/South-West/South-Western Brisbane would have the same limiting affect as calling the team Ipswich only also putting most of the people the team is aimed at offside. I've yet to met people in Ipswich or Logan that say oh im from Western Brisbane or i'm from Southern Brisbane, It's i'm from Ipswich/Logan.

If you want the bid from Ipswich then it's Ipswich/Ipswich-Logan/The initials of the areas involved e.g ILT or ITL or South Queensland, if you want Brisbane in the name support the bomers.

Bringing in a team from Ipswich based in Springfield and calling them Brisbane is akin to bringing in the CC Bears bid, playing them out of Bluetongue Stadium but calling them the Sydney Bears.

docbrown

Coach
Well judging from this poll South Queensland is by far the leader with Ipswich-Logan second.

Somehow I don't think that will change but it might be worthwhile considering Brisbane just to see how that sounds with the mascot.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Ipswich-Logan, River City and South Brisbane round out a top 3 for me

Problem with south brisbane is does that identify with Ipswich at all?

Can South Queensland even be used legally?

RedVee

First Grade
Springfield Isotopes?

Someone on a previous one of these threads had one I thought was really good. Had something to do with River Valley ?
Is there a term used locally for the area in that vein that could be adopted?

What about South Queensland Crushers ?!

Yes! But for the Bombers BrisII bid.