What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passive defence

Anonymous

Juniors
Effective defending is something that has confused me in this game. Usually on defence I feel at the mercy of my opposition, both in 2 player and 1 player. When playing on seasoned mode I feel that if the CPU "wants" to score a try, it can, and I have no way of stopping it. It's hard to explain but I think you'll know what I mean.

Recently I have experimented with a more "passive" style of defending and have found it unusually effective. My old style was more or less button mashing. I have a PS2 and I would hack change player and the tackle buttons. Lately I have been pressing change player once, getting the player I'm controlling into the defensive line (whether or not he is actually making the tackle) and just letting my AI controlled teammates defend. I actually feel that all I was achieving by button bashing was creating chaos in my defensive line, but I am a little concerned that it seems the best way to defend is basically just to leave the controller on the ground and watch the CPU attack. Any thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Juniors
The passive style works for me. I think its great that they encourage less button bashing and a lot more thinking when you're defending.

Monkey

Juniors
Thierry Henry ur a kn*b. sorry mate, didnt mean u, meant the real henry. arrogant tosser like mark calderwood (leeds rhino's). :mrgreen: =D>

budz

Juniors
Thierry, i think that style works pretty well. But what i think works better is if you select a player just as the dummy half passes it. Then you can line up the ball runner and have a go at tackling them. Its just sometimes with that method the player seems to run in the wrong direction just as you select them.

eastsrule

Bench
In legend, I make my fastest and fittest player my fullback, and i select him when im defending and keep him at the back, that way, when teh opposition makes abreak, i meet him head on, and its a 50-50 whether the runner will dummy or hand off, either way, it slows him down for cover.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
I had to go passive, because I am used to playing madden, it always seems to pick the player next to the player I want it to and then I just end up leaving big holes in my defence.

I just won SofO on the hardest, I usually just pick a marker and chase the player from there, that way I don't screw up my defensive line :)

ngunity

Juniors
I play passive defense too, which distresses me as Defense in MAdden is something you can play, and the player selection logic works well.

I don't like the idea of not having much control in defense, but fighting the bloody game engine is not something I enjoy either.

Thing that annoys me most is when opposition takes their fastest guy and runs straight at a hole in my AI defense, I can't select a player properly to stop it quick enough and if they're less than 20 metres out it's try time. usualyl happens of scrums :evil:

gman

Juniors
Defense is pretty annoying in this game... I am like others, now I normally just select the fullback or a marker from the previous tackle.

If I try to select a player in the line who I think it will be it is normally another player on the other side of the ball runner.

You should be able to change player and then for example when using a PS2 controller use the R1 or L1 buttons to move along the line to select your defensive player...

I don't know how many times I keep pressing the change player button to try and get the player I am after. :?

NPK

Bench
I agree, the triggers should let you select the player you want in defense.

Latest posts