What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patten strip - what advantage?

Joe Davola

Juniors
Patten was stripped right back at the very spot where Hayne had dropped the ball....... how does that constitute taking the advantage ?

And no, I am not a Dogs fan and this is not about the result....... just highlighting yet another dud call by the officials.

innsaneink

Referee
He ran some distance, had already beaten one player...I think he took his advantage.
Good call.

stuke

Bench
it was pretty poor call. there was no advantage for the Dogs on that one

it went both ways though. O'Meley dropped the ball cold just before Sherwin was held up over the line.

Hayne was out of his depth tonight.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
I'm a parra fan and when i saw that i blew up, my dad couldn't understand why so i told him the call is correct by the rules but where was the advantage? He lost the ball where Hayne lost it, no advantage.

stuke

Bench
though how Patten could get stripped by a bloke on the ground at the time is pretty poor too!

CrazyEel

Bench
He did have advantage, he could have run anywhere, just because Hayne stripped it back makes no difference. Good call

Dogs Of War

Coach
El Diablo said:
advantage was played. it's not Union

What advantage, he only ran 4 metre's!? Not that it would have made much difference, the Dogs were flat after SBW went off, and decided they didn't know how to wrap up the ball carrier anymore.

nqboy

First Grade
Good call according to the interpretation they've been using for a while now, but I think the interpretation should be broadened to encourage teams to chance their hand.

innsaneink

Referee
WTF? said:
I'm a parra fan and when i saw that i blew up, my dad couldn't understand why so i told him the call is correct by the rules but where was the advantage? He lost the ball where Hayne lost it, no advantage.

You dont have to gain metres upfield to get your advantage.....you can run back and forth across field, losing ground in the process trying to beat defenders, advantage taken despite ground lost.

mattyg

Bench
i don't know the rule fully...but it was bullsh*t coz it was stripped one on one by Hayne and as soon as that happened the ref blew the whistle...we coulda regathered or something?

Packy

Bench
Too many bad calls in every game to make an example of this one. sh*t happens.

One ruling I was interested in was when Sherwin was held up over teh line. The ball was stripped in a 2/3/4 on one tackle when he was already stationary and clearly tackled over the line yet deemed a play the ball.

Anyone have knowledge on that area?

CrazyEel

Bench
mattyg said:
i don't know the rule fully...but it was bullsh*t coz it was stripped one on one by Hayne and as soon as that happened the ref blew the whistle...we coulda regathered or something?
Actually parra regathered and should have been allowed to play on as it went backwards from Hayne.

innsaneink

Referee
Packy said:
Too many bad calls in every game to make an example of this one. sh*t happens.

One ruling I was interested in was when Sherwin was held up over teh line. The ball was stripped in a 2/3/4 on one tackle when he was already stationary and clearly tackled over the line yet deemed a play the ball.

Anyone have knowledge on that area?

Judgement call.

Too many in the game now.

If it happens in field of play its a penalty.

I was actually thinking at the time will he play it or get a penalty>?

CrazyEel

Bench
They changed the rule to allow playing at the ball in the act of preventing the grounding. Hayne was trying to hold it up but I thought Sherwin actually lost it in the struggle to get it down.

mattyg

Bench
CrazyEel said:
Actually parra regathered and should have been allowed to play on as it went backwards from Hayne.

they did??

i was probably too busy smashing my flag on something :lol:

mattyg

Bench
oh i dunno how the stick is in one piece...it copped a hammering in that 2nd half...we were so frustrating to support.

mattyg

Bench
innsaneink said:
bulldogs fans...smashing things....yeh, we know

:lol: typical response from you inky boy

smashing it in the most non violent way possible...something you see done on a weekly basis at any footy game ;-)