What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

paul deacon

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I don't know what happened to British league during the period in which Deacon came through, but it is shocking how few halves we have. We don't have a single half back in Britain who is anything like international class.

Sean Long is our best scrum half still. That says it all. But he is, he really is.

The future looks brighter in this regard. All the teams in Super League virtually have a young 6 or 7 who hints at better things than their current seniors do. Scott Moore at Saints, Bridge at Warrington, Tommy Lee at Hull etc. But they won't be ready for years yet.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
No you haven't. Only recently GB won our first EVER international series against Australia I believe. We even white washed you.

We've never been good enough even at that level and used to regularly play against younger sides to make it even. That has changed recently though.

See what I mean.

The great white hope of a school boy footy team.

Thing is, they've been producing good young British players for 30 years. None of them every kick on....just look at Iestyn Harris.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
This just highlights the fact that GB do not have a true world class halfback and will struggle until they get one.

God-King Dean

Immortal
If GB had a good long kicking-game today (better yet, in the last few years), they could very well have been th team winning 20-6, leaving the AUS team tired in the final 20 minutes. I have no doubts about that.

Great Britain WILL NOT be able to claim a Tri-Nations until they establish that part of their game

GBT2

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
I don't know what happened to British league during the period in which Deacon came through, but it is shocking how few halves we have. We don't have a single half back in Britain who is anything like international class.

Sean Long is our best scrum half still. That says it all. But he is, he really is.

The future looks brighter in this regard. All the teams in Super League virtually have a young 6 or 7 who hints at better things than their current seniors do. Scott Moore at Saints, Bridge at Warrington, Tommy Lee at Hull etc. But they won't be ready for years yet.

Almost as shockinghh as your spelliyng.

GBT2

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
See what I mean.

The great white hope of a school boy footy team.

Thing is, they've been producing good young British players for 30 years. None of them every kick on....just look at Iestyn Harris.

Once more unto the breach.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The GB halves this morning were passing as if their teammates were 4 feet short. I thought the long kicking game was better than it was in previous years, but their passing game was ordinary. One of the reasons why they lost the game.

ali

Bench
Maybe the problem is that these 2 look good at club level because they play behind Super league's most dominant pack. I think Deacon is a poor mans Brent Sherwin and I've always thought Harris plays like a poor mans version of Adam Dykes. They are both crap, and I remember having a good laugh when Harris was getting rave reviews during the Union world cup. For mine he has always been way over rated, and Leeds got a fantastic deal by selling him to the Welsh Union for millions.

Mcguire is the best half in Britain, mainly because he at least has some spark. We need to find him a partner. I still think in the short term maybe Chris Thorman could be the answer. He struggled out here, but missed most of the pre-season and Parra he played behind an ordinary Parra pack.

The problem appears to be that all the GB halves are of a similar level. In the last few years we've now had Ryan Sheridan, Sean Long, Harris, Deacon, Mcguire, Burrow, Sinfield, Sculthorpe and maybe others I've forgotten named in the halves. Others like to talk up Lee Briers and Wakefield's Jamie Rooney.

To take a wild guess at the problem, I'd say the kind of athlete who is likely to end up a good halfback, could also turn out a good soccer player. And I'd suggest with the size of soccer in the UK, then this may be where all the halfbacks are going. Just look at the number of lock forwards in the UK who play like 5/8's. Are junior teams full of massive halves?

bartman

Immortal
They still have Richard Horne in this year's squad, will be interesting to see if Noble tries to use him?

As for next year, you might be right about giving Thorman a go, his game has been coming on well this season with Huddersfield. And if Maguire has a good season and is fit, then he'd be worth including.

But like Fairleigh Good wrote, waiting for the next generation of halves (incl. James Roby) to come through might be where GB eventually matches Australia in the halves. Same with NZ, post-Stacy they'll also need one of their younger halfback prospects to blossom...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
6. Cooke
7. Horne

The best halves available to GB, yet Cooke can't even make the squad, what a joke :lol:.

Mal Meninga

Bench
nospam49™ said:
10 years ago they had the names of Edwards, Schofield and Goulding, who you admitted to being atleast dangerous.
They now have Sculthorpe, Sinfield, and Mcguire. They're good, but on the Lockeyer/Johns level? Who is........

There's not just a major problem in their halves, i've said it before, i'll say it again, they lack in gun centres and wingers. The names of Robinson and Offiah are Rugby league Gods compared to who they've got running around, including the over-the-hill Carney.