What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen wants to quit Sharks

maelgwnau

Juniors
Paul Gallen wants to quit Sharks and has opened negotiations with Wests Tigers and Manly

CRONULLA star Paul Gallen wants to quit the Sharks - and he has begun secret negotiations with Wests Tigers and Manly.
In a bombshell that will rock Cronulla's off-season, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Gallen is looking to play elsewhere in 2010 because he feels aggrieved by the club's hardline response to his on and off-field indiscretions.
After being stripped of the captaincy and fined $10,000 for a racial slur earlier this year, the aggressive international was last week slugged a further $10,000 for urinating in public.
Although half the latest penalty was suspended, Gallen is privately fuming and has told friends he no longer feels inclined to return to Sharks training after the Christmas break.
Despite having a further two years to run on his current deal, the 28-year-old now wants out immediately.​
In the week since the fine was imposed, approaches have been made on Gallen's behalf to the Tigers and Sea Eagles. Both clubs have shown interest in poaching the firebrand back-rower - provided they can accommodate him under their 2010 salary cap. Manly would appear to be in the box seat after Matt Orford's $250,000 contract extension talks collapsed last month.
The Sea Eagles could use that money to lure Gallen to the peninsula, where he would complete the NRL's most formidable back-row alongside Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart.
But stand-in CEO Wayne Honeywood last night said the preliminary talks only related to 2011.
"We've got two high-profile back-rowers (Watmough and Stewart) coming off contract and we wouldn't want to jeopardise that," Honeywood said.
The Tigers have less space after embarking on a 2010 recruitment blitz, which will soon include dual international Lote Tuqiri.
Wests CEO Steve Humphreys confirmed an approach had been made to his club, but declined to comment further on the matter.
Few, if any, of Cronulla's administrators know of the depth of their former captain's discontent.
Just three months shy of kicking off his 10th season at the Sharks, Gallen feels damning public comments from several Sharks officials don't befit his commitment to the black, white and blue.
The obvious sticking point for Gallen moving on is the fact he's contracted to Cronulla until the end of 2011.
However, there have been high-profile players in the recent past such as Craig Wing and Mark Gasnier who have escaped existing deals because their third-party payments have not been met.
Gallen is not required back at Sharks training until January 4.
Gallen's record of on-field controversy has landed him the game's longest judiciary record.
He's also fronted the Sharks board over a series of hot-headed acts, including pulling a player's head bandage and allegedly squeezing another's testicles.

Link:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tigers-and-manly/story-e6frexnr-1225812584858

All things considered, I'd take him. Not in expense of Gift or Choc, but it's not like we're going to sign anyone better for next year (if it was possible), and that would be an awesome back row. He cops a lot of hate on here, and sure he's a dick, but anyone who says he isn't a good player is lying. We might go over our 'niggler/dickhead/merkin/grub" cap if we signed him though, we've already got Matai and Choc...

Edit - Sh*t reason to get out of a contract though.

adamkungl

Immortal
serves the club right for not sticking by him for irrelevant rubbish like pissing in public. Sharks have been more interested in PR than their players for too long and its going to bite them in the arse big time

Hallatia

Referee
that is pretty funny, but it would be weird to see him playing anywhere else. He is half the reason Sharks are considered scum. If he feels uncomfortable there and can get out of his contract then he should leave. It would really screw the sharks over to lose him and he could be a good buy for the Tigpies, Manly or Melbourne

lolesi

First Grade
serves the club right for not sticking by him for irrelevant rubbish like pissing in public. Sharks have been more interested in PR than their players for too long and its going to bite them in the arse big time

Its not just one incident now, its multiple. He has to be punished for these incidents due to the large media following bad public images of nrl players now attract and Gallen being an international player.

More interested in PR is pretty vital now to, no major sponser for 2010 and the need to establish themselves with a lot of fans after a terrible 2009. Yet you fault them for doing this?

Small incidents like these need to be addressed and action needs to be taken when someone (Gallen) keeps re-offending.

MsStorm

Bench

He'g got a bit of history though. Sounds like a spoilt brat to me, he should stick out with his contract.

BWNB

First Grade

Its true... but what can they do about these issues that only our players seem to have?
We're f**ked either way, if he wants out let him go, i dont care anymore.

It would be another great reason to hate Manly.

Exactly what I was thinking. My goodness, all they'd need now is Mason and they'd be set.

I think I'm in the minority but I don't mind the Sharks at all, Gallen is the only player at their club I dislike. I hope for their sake he leaves. While he is a good player, I think he's a cancer off the field to that club.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Doesn't seem good for the Sharks... I see no new moment to improve on last season, and losing Gallen won't help.

bfoord

Juniors

If the Sharks didn't fine him then the NRL would have said it was an inadequate penalty and then fine him themselves.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
What a chump. Gallen has an incredibly poor behavioural record, on and off the field, and now he's having a cry because he feels the Sharks haven't shown him enough support? Pathetic. The Sharks have been nothing but supportive. Does he expect no sanction when he racially vilifies another player, or urinates in public? Please.

TBH, the Sharks would be much better off in the medium to long term to let this guy go. As someone else has said on this thread, he's a cancer to their team. I was shocked last year, after begrudgingly giving up the captaincy, when he said during a media interview that he still considered himself the captain of the club.

Gallen might be a representative player, but his misbehaviour on and off the field have done more harm than good to the club. He should flee to Manly, where his behaviour will be more accepted by the likes of Watmough, Stewart, Matai etc.