What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Gallen wants to quit Sharks

butchmcdick

Post Whore
serves the club right for not sticking by him for irrelevant rubbish like pissing in public. Sharks have been more interested in PR than their players for too long and its going to bite them in the arse big time

Cause sticking by the players works a treat at the roosters

_snafu_

Immortal
Gallen should HTFU and stop sooking.

He has already admitted to his racist rant and caught red handed pissing in public. The club had no other choice than to punish him for unacceptable behaviour.

drake

First Grade
Send him to the Warriors as part of a racial understanding program. If all else fails, I'm sure the boys will provide him with some free dental reconstruction work.

Vic Mackey

Referee
everyone seems to have forgotten that the sharks need to release him for him to leave

theres no way they will do that

Ali's Choice

Juniors
everyone seems to have forgotten that the sharks need to release him for him to leave

theres no way they will do that

Why not?

Apart from being septic to their club's culture he's clearly no longer motivated to play for them. Having such a senior player around the club, who didn't want to be there, would only be a disaster waiting to happen and hugely destabilising for a club in desperate need of improvement.

Gallen would easily be the Sharks' top earner. Letting him go would free up much needed revenue for some marquee signings in 2011 and beyond.

Goddo

Bench
Marque signings? if gallen goes, they will continue to underspend the salary cap. The club is run on a shoe string. any money free'd up will be spent on debt repayment

Loudstrat

Coach
Sharks need a facelift like the Bulldogs gave themselves. I use to hate Bulldogs, but with the players they now have on the books, they make it hard to hate them.
Canterbury - you can like the odd player (as I do Patten and Hazem), but the club is still pure evil and is progressively turning the likeable Hannent into an a grade twat. Their list of hookers for example - Ennis, Corey Hughes, Mark Bugden - have they ever had a likeable hooker?

Paul Gallen is not only the biggest grub in the game (Bird gives him a good run for his money though, there is a schooner in it) but he is also the most overrated player running around and biggest wanker we have in the NRL ranks.

Make the goose sit on the sidelines until his contract runs out Cronulla.

I would wish Paul Gallen on no club. Send him abroad to the UK or French Rugby.
Whn you put it liker that he's almost acting like Tallis did.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Marque signings? if gallen goes, they will continue to underspend the salary cap. The club is run on a shoe string. any money free'd up will be spent on debt repayment

Better to repay debt than force the NRL's most hated player to stay at your club despite him expressing publically that he no longer wants to be there. There is no player in the NRL that is bigger than his club, and Gallen is no exception.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Would definately make the Sharks more likeable without Bird and Gallen. Still wouldn't cheer for them as long as Stuart is the coach though.

Speaking og, can't help feeling that if Gallen left Stuart would be quick to sign up Mason.

_snafu_

Immortal
The other issue at stake is the fact that the Sharks don't have a major sponsor (as far as I'm aware). I'm not sure that having a serial grub on the books would be conducive to securing a major sponsor.

snickers007

Juniors
Make the goose sit on the sidelines until his contract runs out Cronulla.

Couldn't agree more! I hate it how easily it has become for players to get out of their contracts. If they ask for a release, tell them to jam it, and sit them down for the remainder of the contract.

Make it clear that they are still recquired to attend training, and if they don't, simply don't pay them. If they're on an incentive based deal, tough. They should have thought about that before they signed the contract, and before they thought they could walk away from it.

Excuse them from official club functions, and place a media ban on them.

The NRL needs to back the clubs also. Any player in this position who is sacked for failing to train or who breaks a media ban etc, needs to be deregistered for the remainder of their contract.

Players these days take zero accountability for their actions. Clubs need to put them in their place. If the measures stated above mean that we get every player in the game opting for a 12 month contract only, so be it. That should also act as an incentive to play well, as they're literally playing for their future every single week.

I hate the Sharks as much as the next guy. But they shouldn't have the disadvantage of Gallen playing for another (stronger) club, just because they tried to pull him in line.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
The other issue at stake is the fact that the Sharks don't have a major sponsor (as far as I'm aware). I'm not sure that having a serial grub on the books would be conducive to securing a major sponsor.

If you were on the Board of a major corporation, would you want Paul Gallen endorsing your product or company? He's the face of everything that is unsavory in the NRL.

Dutchy

Immortal
We will be able afford him for the 2011 season easily as well as upgrading Watmoughs and Stewarts contracts. I have a feeling Kite and Matai are playing their last season in the NRL. Both on decent amount of money to grab Gallen and upgrade the other two.

I am all for it.

Goddo

Bench
Better to repay debt than force the NRL's most hated player to stay at your club despite him expressing publically that he no longer wants to be there. There is no player in the NRL that is bigger than his club, and Gallen is no exception.

True, but the Sharks are still in a very bad way. They have no money to draw quality players, they spend the least in the NRL on staff and off field, so they will likely continue to languish at the bottom of the table (but still capable of sneaking up the ladder from time to time especially if they uncover a good player or two). No quality + no sponsor = less fans = no income = still up creek.

The "development" will only stave off disaster too. They have no money to get it going, and so will have to bring in a property developer who will leach off the profits. The Sharks remind me more and more of the pathetic sydney clubs of the 80s and 90s... Newtown, Bears, Rabbitohs, Magpies... teams that either no longer exist in the NRL or have completely reinvented themselves.

The only thing the club has going for them is the swamp they own. Reminds me of that bit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the lord keeps building castles on a swamp that fall down and is desperate to marry his son off to a girl with "huge tracts of land".

Gallen would suit Manly well with all the off fields dramas etc. Can you imagine those meat heads Watmough and Gallen on a night out together HAHAHAHAHA