What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent is an idiot

Joel Kicker

Juniors
Paul Kent said:
SO the reactionaries and the hysterics, all together on this one, look like getting their way and having Danny Williams rubbed out for life.

Hang him high, count the cost tomorrow.

On the same weekend that Brendan Cannon gets a two-week suspension for punching All Black Keven Mealamu, whose arms were down by his side, the Hanging Judge has been called in to prosecute Williams.

What to give for similar consistency among the faithful?

Just because rugby league is the most high-profile sport doesn't mean that every time there is an incident we have to go running down the streets screaming like our fingers have been jammed in the car door.

There is no doubt that Danny Williams is guilty. He has already apologised.

There is no doubt he will get a long sentence. He has already said he will accept the decision of the judiciary.

Yet none of that is good enough for some, who have added to the din with their righteous cries.

Yesterday's column calling for control in the Danny Williams case met with the expected hysteria.

"The biggest load of crap I have read this year," wrote in Chris Rose, a noted reader.

"You have written total rubbish before but this takes the cake ... Find another job, imbecile," wrote Brett Day, apparently a job counsellor.

One man called talkback radio saying he had just about got his wife to agree to allow their son to play rugby league - but now Williams had gone and spoiled it. A tip: if the kid goes out and king hits someone first time on the paddock, the problem's at home, not with Danny Williams.

Earlier this year Cronulla's Greg Bird was rubbed out for 10 weeks for kneeing South Sydney's Shane Marteene.

Bird and Marteene had had a running battle all game, as both sides illustrated during the case. The prosecution to indicate intent, the defence to suggest provocation.

Williams and O'Neill have also had several run-ins this season.

The first was in round 13 when Williams broke O'Neill's nose.

Then Saturday's incident, when O'Neill tackled Williams high and Williams retaliated, as we all came to see.

But where does each incident sit on the scale when the emotion has been removed? If you measure a punch against a knee, most will argue that the knee is far more dangerous.

If you argue the degree of provocation most will argue that Williams was provoked more than Bird, particularly given their recent history.

Against that certainly the result of Williams' punch caused more injury than the Bird knee, which will be a consideration for the judiciary.

But is a bad swinging arm, thrown straight across the chin, any worse than a punch? Or a spear tackle?

Do some even care? Or think about it?

"All in all, I felt compelled to write to you to make my feelings heard," wrote Jonathan Lee, "which I'm sure at least 90 per cent of the public will agree when I say that your column was a crock of S*#T."

Williams looks like paying the cost for the high profile of the incident.

Any suspension near the 18 weeks or so being privately spoken about will almost certainly cost him his career.

He will almost certainly leave the Storm at the end of the year and will need to convince an English club to take him with whatever suspension still remains.

If no club is willing to do that next year he is gone. He won't have the required quota of NRL games for following years.

Sorting through all the e-mails I prefer to go with Marjorie Tahija, a female rugby league fan.

"I watched that game on Saturday night and I was appalled at the media attention it has brought against a player who will probably lose his whole career over something that he will live to regret for the rest of his life," she wrote.

you say im lower than Danny Williams cos i ask about the well being of someone, then what is this guy?

Tigerpete

Juniors
I've seen incidents similar to the Williams incident in lower levels of the game , for instance park football. Last year i think it was a QLD based player was banned for life after punching a referee. I ask , why should it matter wheather Mark O'Niell is a referee or a footballer? In this case i think the panel should hand out the strongest possible punishment for his actions. There;s not one way he can be defended for this and he needs to be made an example of, not just to punish him for his actions but to tell any other players that this sort of behaviour is unacceptbale will NOT be tolerated for one second.

Im not saying we ban him for 6 years or for life, but i think calls o 12-15 weeks are soft, if i was on that panel tomorrow night, i'd be recommending a 12 month ban.

hemeroid

Juniors
the way i look at it
if hopoate gets 10 weeks for an innocent act of poking
hwo long should u get for this - 20 times worse

Suzie

Juniors
Innocent act? Sorry, that was sexual assault and he was lucky to get away with 10 weeks.

hemeroid

Juniors
how can u compare a little tactic with no intention meant bye it to a deliberate punch which has seen ppl like david hookes pass away from?

j_tig

Juniors
a lot of ppl have come out and said rub him out of the game, just like after the hoppa incident, the rodney howe, etc incidents. noone really believes it or means it. we all just want to see justice. if justice means that hes gone for 18 weeks and this then ends hs career then so be it! otherwise we'll c a string of incidents with a 'its my last year, dont end my career' defence

Swampdonkey

Juniors
Paul Kent is a clown who is just after a reaction. I doubt he even really believes what he has written, if he does then he doesn't have much of an idea.

I stopped buying the Telegraph ages ago because of clowns like him and Jeff Wells, they are entitled to have their own opinion's but that doesn't mean I need to know about it......

18 weeks suspension is not going to ruin his career, players have been suspended and injured for much more to return and play first grade. Anything less than 18 weeks sends a message that this thuggish behaviour will be tolerated. Maybe Danny should go get himself a job for the next year, it will give him a good opportunity to decide whether he wants to sacrifice being a thug to play football for a living.

There are plenty of players who play the game tough and would not take a backward step for anyone who have all managed to play the game at the highest level, Williams is a fringe first grader with anger issues who needs to learn that you can be intimidating without decking every bloke who gets in his way.

The part of the article I found most annoying and I even find it hard to beleieve it was written -
"One man called talkback radio saying he had just about got his wife to agree to allow their son to play rugby league - but now Williams had gone and spoiled it. A tip: if the kid goes out and king hits someone first time on the paddock, the problem's at home, not with Danny Williams."

I think the man's point is that he and his wife don't want to see their son get hurt, not that they are guilty of raising a son who is going to go around decking players on the footy field......

Paul Kent you truly are an idiot!

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I quite like Kent, but he is wrong in regards to this matter. His writing style is really different and is a breath of fresh air amongst most of the other crap in the Tele.

For anyone who would like to know, Wells left the Telegraph about a month ago. And good riddance!

Paul Kent works for News first and foremost. The same people who have a huge investment the NRL. Also the same people that invested alot of money in the Melbourne franchise.
Frank Stanton (News employee) asked for Dannys hearing not to be a trial by media.... NRL tribunal (News funded) grants a two week lay over for evidance to be gathered on a flimsy premise of amnesia.
Danny Williams (employed by News) gets two weeks to be off the back page.
Paul Kent (News journo) writes a small but insignificant article, two weeks from now, three pages from the back page, that Danny Williams got given an eight week suspension last night and will play in England next year.
News looks after it's employees and Danny been a good 'club' man after all. :clap: :clap:

Latest posts