What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent On Matty Johns Show Saying The Broncos & Other Clubs Are Cheating The Cap

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Re: Greg Inglis - Paul Kent On Matty Johns Show This Evening Saying The Broncos & Other Clubs Are Cheating The Cap.

Paul is questioning how Darren Lockyer is listed on the cap as $250k?

For once I have to agree with Paul Kent and the Daily Telecrap.

well he has to provide proof and if he has proof then he has to give it to the NRL.
It's all good to say it but he has to back it up, he needs proof.
In any case the Salary cap is not working and hasn't been for the last 10 years, needs to be changed to a points system.

well he has to provide proof and if he has proof then he has to give it to the NRL.
It's all good to say it but he has to back it up, he needs proof.
In any case the Salary cap is not working and hasn't been for the last 10 years, needs to be changed to a points system.
its not cheating the cap like melbourne and is legal but still massively unfair the broncos have 20 third party sponsors paying their players lockyer probably is on the books at 250k....and getting that much or more again from third party sponsors how can teams like the sharks compete? what about the six sydney teams all fighting for a slice of the same sponsorship pie while the broncos have another one all to themselves?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tme is right to throw in another Brisbane side in the NRL and see how they go

South Queensland Storm has a nice twang to it :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
it's a brave thing to say< I hope Kent and channel 7 have some handy legal eagles available.

Kornstar

Coach
Seriously though, only Brisbane, Manly and Melbourne (most consistent and successful teams recently) should be justified in paying players over the cap! If ANY other team is over the cap then the hack players getting the extra money should bloody give their money back as they aren't earning it.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think when lockyer re-signed he looked just about finished..250 + 100 in sponsor would be about right!
Paul Kent needs to keep coming up with somthing otherwise he wont have a job so maybe he is just looking for controversy

Gigolo

Juniors
Well done to Kent for having the balls to do that.

Salary Cap in its present form is a benefit to Brisbane, just give those inbreds the title on a silver platter.

For it to work there needs to be notional values. If this is not workable the cap needs to be scrapped.

grapeape

Juniors
that guy kent enjoys an argument.

he is always angry. he is trying to rip league apart.

he has a combative adversarial approach.

strider

Post Whore
Cullen said he'd show anyone how its all done .... if I was Ossie, I would have been on the phone in a flash - "I'll be up on Friday, can we book in a Salary Cap 101 course for the morning session?" :lol:

Broncs4ever

Juniors
Some of you will be up here tonight (hope you have a good time win or loose – what to expect? 40,000 fans plus and probably close to capacity 50,000 plus – this is a big game for both sides! A low rated game at the beginning of the season with Masterchef on TV and you will still find 20,000 plus supporters in the stands at Lang Park (rated as one of the best venues in the world). Our park looks quite full on TV all the time.

Compare that with a typical televised game on 9 in NSW and the look on TV - an 80,000 capacity stadium with 8,000 fans scatted around the ground, 50% of them on the same side as the cameras. Not a good look. That’s why we have lots of third party sponsors and that’s why we can afford who we have and who we are going to get.

strider

Post Whore
no - you have lots of 3rd party sponsors cos you are a one team town and any businesses operating out of Brisbane want to put their money into the broncos

Gigolo

Juniors
Some of you will be up here tonight (hope you have a good time win or loose – what to expect? 40,000 fans plus and probably close to capacity 50,000 plus – this is a big game for both sides! A low rated game at the beginning of the season with Masterchef on TV and you will still find 20,000 plus supporters in the stands at Lang Park (rated as one of the best venues in the world). Our park looks quite full on TV all the time.

Compare that with a typical televised game on 9 in NSW and the look on TV - an 80,000 capacity stadium with 8,000 fans scatted around the ground, 50% of them on the same side as the cameras. Not a good look. That’s why we have lots of third party sponsors and that’s why we can afford who we have and who we are going to get.

My club has the biggest and richest leagues club behind it. If there was no salary cap we could easily take the Gillett's, Hoffmans, Yow Yeh's etc. I wouldn't get arrogant about your position, it's only there because the Draft was eliminated. The salary cap by itself is a waste of time and grossly unfair. If you think Brisbane won 6 comps since 88 purely because of good governance then you are pretty naive, they have a massive advantage and use it to the enth degree.

Get rid of the cap or introduce notional values and I bet you come back to the field pretty quickly, but sadly the anorexic donkey will have none of that.

Mickyd39

Juniors
I'm sure i heard Webke say it was "Sydney sinicism" when Kent was ripping in about Inglis.

Webke is a merkin.

Typical response, i remember back in the day when the Broncos had players suspened, they cried it was a conspiracy by the NSWRL so they would fail.