What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent On Matty Johns Show Saying The Broncos & Other Clubs Are Cheating The Cap

fish eel

Immortal
I think Shane Webcke has more integrity than Paul Kent.

Just making an accusation that the Broncos and other clubs are rotting does nothing. Time to put up or shut up

Suitman

Post Whore
I think Shane Webcke has more integrity than Paul Kent.

Just making an accusation that the Broncos and other clubs are rotting does nothing. Time to put up or shut up

Fair point, but I don't think that was Kent's point though.
He wasn't so much accusing them of rorting but asking how could they be under the cap, and was just expressing what most people (except Broncos fans) are thinking anyway.
I don't like the bloke, but it's good for a change to see someone express what is generally felt to be Joe Public's opinion. All these former NRL players in the media sh*t me to tears for never having the balls to say what they think.
If nothing else, Kent has put the heat on the NRL to an extent to ensure that the Broncos are complying with cap rules, and I'd dare suggest that Schubert and his boys will do a far more thorough job there than they did at the Storm.

Suity

applesauce

Bench
No-one has mentioned the veterins allowances that Lockyer gets that are not included in the cap = 100k.

Plus at least 100k (could be anything though) in 3rd party with non-affiliated sponsors (there are tones of companies in QLD wanting to back a champion like him).

He is also allowed 50k not included in the cap of 3rd party deals with club affiliated sponsors (150k max per club, with 50k max per player).

So his 250k he would be on in the cap his wage would be around 500k per year (with a car).

Get off your asses and do some research, you would be one step closer to more of a journalist then Kent is.

This is from the NRL website on the salary cap:
Is any remuneration excluded?

In addition, a player's salary package may include benefits that are specifically excluded from the Salary Cap, such as the payment of medical premiums, university fees etc.

The Salary Cap Auditor has specifically excluded the following allowances for players to encourage clubs to spend money on career development outside football for players in the Toyota Cup:

Up to $10,000 net per player for Tertiary education (TAFE & University)
Up to the award rate for Approved Traineeships
Up to $10,000 net per player towards an approved apprenticeship or pre-apprenticeship program.
Up to $10,400 per annum in living away from home allowances.
Medical insurance costs.
Relocation & temporary accommodation costs.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
From a Brisbane stand point this whole issue reeks of sour grapes. It's been known for about six weeks that the club has been after Inglis yet when they finally announce his signing everyone and their dog comes out calling us cap. cheats. It just reeks of jealousy and bitterness.

All you have to do is look at the gains and losses of the Broncos over 2009 and 2010 to understand how the Broncos have been able to fit both Inglis and Hannant inside next year's salary cap.

The only thing that looks extremely shady to me, is the Thoroughbreds.

born an eel

Bench
From a Brisbane stand point this whole issue reeks of sour grapes. It's been known for about six weeks that the club has been after Inglis yet when they finally announce his signing everyone and their dog comes out calling us cap. cheats. It just reeks of jealousy and bitterness.

All you have to do is look at the gains and losses of the Broncos over 2009 and 2010 to understand how the Broncos have been able to fit both Inglis and Hannant inside next year's salary cap.

The only thing that looks extremely shady to me, is the Thoroughbreds.
I think this is the point Kent was trying to make, how independent are they?

The 3rd party agreements that are not part of the cap is what is ruining the game. You just have to look at the unfair bias of single city clubs and craig wing and Gasnier as examples.

boxhead

First Grade
I'd rather believe the Broncos are merely just smart with their salary cap than cheating the cap, thank you very much. I don't believe any team is rorting the cap, the difference between teams this year-and next year too-will be how the team is mentally, physically, etc; how they perform, not so much the difference in talent in my opinion.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I just can't believe that a club - especially one as smart as Brisbane have proven themselves to be - would risk breaking the cap to recruit a Storm player after the rorting scandal.

If there's something wrong with the cap, that's one thing. I don't think anyone should be levelling accusations of cheating against the Broncos without some shred of evidence.

And for the record, I frakkin' hate the Broncos. I'd love to see them fail (got prematurely excited this year when they had the wobbly boot on), but wanting something to be true (that they are rorting) and it actually being true are two different things.

Freak2

Juniors
I love the fact that Paul Kent came out and basically said what most punters are thinking. He wasn't afraid of what the biased Webke had to say and he made some very interesting specifics in relation to The Thoroughbreds and the $250K figure for 1 D. Lockyer.

In saying this I personally believe there is no way that the Bronc's are over the cap. They don't need to be!!!! They have that many "so called" non related third party opportunities that players do take the unders knowing that there final take home is far better than anything they would get at any other club. A 1 town club is one thing but a 1 town club that is predominantly owned by News Limited well that is a whole different playing field again.

Is it fair? No
Can the NRL fix it? I doubt it, not until they change the structure of the cap to include all 3rd parties (which is a restriction of trade) or re-introduce a draft which we all know is illegal.
The only way I can see this problem getting fixed is for the NRL to introduce an American system used by their Baseball competitions where the rich clubs can spend what they like but if they go over the "Cap limit" they must match this amount to be distributed to all other clubs under the "Cap limit".

Until something like this happens Brisbane will continue to be the strongest club (by a long way) in the NRL and field a more competitive side than the majority of all other clubs and as per ALWAYS will make the 8.

Broncs4ever

Juniors
My club has the biggest and richest leagues club behind it. If there was no salary cap we could easily take the Gillett's, Hoffmans, Yow Yeh's etc. I wouldn't get arrogant about your position, it's only there because the Draft was eliminated. The salary cap by itself is a waste of time and grossly unfair. If you think Brisbane won 6 comps since 88 purely because of good governance then you are pretty naive, they have a massive advantage and use it to the enth degree.

Get rid of the cap or introduce notional values and I bet you come back to the field pretty quickly, but sadly the anorexic donkey will have none of that.

Paranoid

Juniors
Paul K*nt is like the kid who cried wolf, after years of dribble followed by more even dribble, no one’s going to listen to this clown when/if he ever breaks a real and accurate story.

Broncs4ever

Juniors
Boy you are a touchy lot - I was not being arrogant, bragging or anything of the sort. I was making the point as to why we have the 3rd party support that we have - yes I know we are a one city side, I would love for there to be a few more up here in Brisbane.

Yes Gigolo you have a very rich club - last time I was at a St G v Broncs game down there, there were 14,000 of us in the crowd - that's 13,983 St George supporters and 17 Broncos supporters. Last time I went to a Broncs v St George game up here 35,000 nplus Broncos fans and about 13,983 St George fans. A large percentage of the fans there tonight will be Eels fans - I'm going with one of them

DeanPay98

Juniors
Boy you are a touchy lot - I was not being arrogant, bragging or anything of the sort. I was making the point as to why we have the 3rd party support that we have - yes I know we are a one city side, I would love for there to be a few more up here in Brisbane.

Yes Gigolo you have a very rich club - last time I was at a St G v Broncs game down there, there were 14,000 of us in the crowd - that's 13,983 St George supporters and 17 Broncos supporters. Last time I went to a Broncs v St George game up here 35,000 nplus Broncos fans and about 13,983 St George fans. A large percentage of the fans there tonight will be Eels fans - I'm going with one of them

I understood what you meant mate. Don't sweat some of the narkier comments. Brisbane is a very passionate league town and it should be a great game.

fish eel

Immortal
Fair point, but I don't think that was Kent's point though.
He wasn't so much accusing them of rorting but asking how could they be under the cap, and was just expressing what most people (except Broncos fans) are thinking anyway.
I don't like the bloke, but it's good for a change to see someone express what is generally felt to be Joe Public's opinion. All these former NRL players in the media sh*t me to tears for never having the balls to say what they think.
If nothing else, Kent has put the heat on the NRL to an extent to ensure that the Broncos are complying with cap rules, and I'd dare suggest that Schubert and his boys will do a far more thorough job there than they did at the Storm.

Suity

I thought he did come out and accuse them of a rort when Webcke said something along the lines of 'if you have something to say, say it'

Suitman

Post Whore
I thought he did come out and accuse them of a rort when Webcke said something along the lines of 'if you have something to say, say it'

No, he was just questioning how they could be, or how could they be? I know it's a fine line, but probably enough to keep him out of trouble.
I'd like to know the same answer tbh.

Suity

Daneel

Bench

From memory after webcke said that he replied with "i think the broncos are cheating the cap, i think most teams are doing it".

Or something very similar. I think he added the last bit so webcke didn't beat him up in the car park afterwards. :lol:

DeanPay98

Juniors
Should be a good game IF you are a Broncos supporter and enjoy watching your team win by 30-40!!
:(

Have faith mate. Remember the 2004 game after Jamie Lyon walked out on us? We went up to Brisbane and got up against them.

We beat the Broncos in 2007 as well in a close one and we only lost in 2008 at the very end. I can't remember last year. But we are generally good in Brisbane.