What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paycuts anyone??

SEAT 1A

Bench
Well it looks as though they could all stay together and a this stage the NRL can't do anything to stop it, which is pretty poor.

Regardless of how many players have to go, it will still be a better roster than most other clubs in regards to 1,7 and 9.

What I can't accept is they keep on telling the press they are not greedy sociopaths.

Well it looks as though they could all stay together and a this stage the NRL can't do anything to stop it, which is pretty poor.

Regardless of how many players have to go, it will still be a better roster than most other clubs in regards to 1,7 and 9.

What I can't accept is they keep on telling the press they are not greedy sociopaths.
the salary cap is really the clubs problem to deal with not theirs and in the end they all have at least one contract with the storm ;-) if they choose to honour it they can

perverse

Referee
For all intents and purposes this appears to be what they are trying to do. The consequences are theirs to handle. Do not estimate the ability of Bellamy to choose the right rookies and train them to be a competitive team over time - it is the basis of his coaching ability to recognise talent & bring out the best in them.
i have absolutely no problem with any of that. as long as the big 4 don't take pay cuts so that they, or any other players, are able to stay in the team then it's fair game. they can keep the big 4 for all i care, as long as it is on their current deals, and all under the salary cap.

isaiah

Bench
Of course the Stars can afford to take a paycut if they have been getting an extra bite on the side for years.

How about make them take a paycut AND PAY BACK WHAT EXTRA THEY HAVE TAKEN.

That would be much fairer and equitable and have them thinking twice about staying no doubt...

sounds about right

S.R.

Juniors
Which rule is that EELiminator?

The Storm should be made to stay UNDER the cap by however much they were over it in previous years.

stormbati

Bench
They didn't know so I don't see why they can't take cuts. If they were guilty then IDE have no problem.

Loudstrat

Coach
You sign 3 contracts and get a f*cking free boat - and you don't know??????

I know Inglis is thicker than Hulk Hogan's forearm but geez....!

stormbati

Bench
Yes, from where we are and from what we're told it seems they should have known.
But, we know f**k all, only what the media tells us.

20knights10

Juniors
What we do know is that the team has only been retained in it's current form by way of cheating the salary cap. Whether the player knew of this or not is really not an issue other than in their ethical value. However, as the club has formed a roster outside the guidelines that roster should be torn up and re-negotiated from scratch, with all existing contracts paid out in full by the cheating club. All players should be on the open market now, and if the storm can then accommodate the "big 4" still then good on them. I mean it's been a while since they last won a premiership, what, 11 years or so?

oldmancraigy

Coach
What we do know is that the team has only been retained in it's current form by way of cheating the salary cap. Whether the player knew of this or not is really not an issue other than in their ethical value. However, as the club has formed a roster outside the guidelines that roster should be torn up and re-negotiated from scratch, with all existing contracts paid out in full by the cheating club. All players should be on the open market now, and if the storm can then accommodate the "big 4" still then good on them. I mean it's been a while since they last won a premiership, what, 11 years or so?

I disagree with one of your points here!

By tearing up the contracts you are validating the cheatery.

It is exactly what happened with the Bulldogs debacle. They retained the nucleus of a squad assembled by cheating and won a premiership.

That is not on!

What is to stop Cronulla from spending $9million to assemble an awesome squad, win 20 games next season but then at the end of the year come forward and say 'oops - we spent too much'. Lose all the comp points, contracts get torn up and they get to renegotiate with the players they actually want who could then proceed to win them a premiership. (oh ok, bad example, Cronulla would still find a way to win 5 games).

No way.

The penalties are TOO SOFT. The only fair way to deal with this issue is for immediate action to be taken. That is, the club must get themselves UNDER the cap right now by removing players (and adding back minimum salary guys to still have a 25 man squad).
Once that is done, they are still compelled to pay the players they sacked the amounts they agreed for the length of their contracts.
And their salary cap value for the FOLLOWING season (ie next year) must be reduced by the amount that they cheated the cap by. (So a $3million cap for next season for the Storm only). If they cannot get under that amount, then the same story applies next season for the year following.

It sounds tough, but why should the clubs who play by the rules be penalized? And it is also a rule which applies from the smallest breach to the largest.

So if the Warriors were $45k over the cap this season, they'd have to remove a $100k player and add back a $55k, and have their cap value for 2011 reduced by $45k.

dollyhands

Juniors
I disagree with one of your points here!

By tearing up the contracts you are validating the cheatery.

It is exactly what happened with the Bulldogs debacle. They retained the nucleus of a squad assembled by cheating and won a premiership.

That is not on!

What is to stop Cronulla from spending $9million to assemble an awesome squad, win 20 games next season but then at the end of the year come forward and say 'oops - we spent too much'. Lose all the comp points, contracts get torn up and they get to renegotiate with the players they actually want who could then proceed to win them a premiership. (oh ok, bad example, Cronulla would still find a way to win 5 games).

No way.

The penalties are TOO SOFT. The only fair way to deal with this issue is for immediate action to be taken. That is, the club must get themselves UNDER the cap right now by removing players (and adding back minimum salary guys to still have a 25 man squad).
Once that is done, they are still compelled to pay the players they sacked the amounts they agreed for the length of their contracts.
And their salary cap value for the FOLLOWING season (ie next year) must be reduced by the amount that they cheated the cap by. (So a $3million cap for next season for the Storm only). If they cannot get under that amount, then the same story applies next season for the year following.

It sounds tough, but why should the clubs who play by the rules be penalized? And it is also a rule which applies from the smallest breach to the largest.

So if the Warriors were $45k over the cap this season, they'd have to remove a $100k player and add back a $55k, and have their cap value for 2011 reduced by $45k.
genius

Bro Bear

Juniors
The Melbourne Storm have proven to be a club that has deceived others who do the right action and also be a group of cheats.

The club should be forced to take pay cuts or have players contracted disbanded.

Even their NSW Cup team should of been forced to have action against them.

Will be interesting which players are forced out and how many.

Shame on the NRL for letting this club cheat.

What is to stop Cronulla from spending $9million to assemble an awesome squad
well, two things really:
A. where the hell would cronulla get 9 million?
B. why would an 'awesome squad' go to cronulla? at the moment they are living off hasbeens and eels hand me downs