What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas' mother in crash on GC - three dead, she survived

My Mrs is Filipino. I know all about it. They don't have the death penalty, not officially anyway.
!!

They shouldn’t send Haas Snr to Indonesia either.

Ask her about their rule of law, procedural fairness and the presumption of innocence!

My bet is still that you’re punching above your weight Socky!

Last edited:
The AFP could barely find two worse countries to co-operate with if they owned an Atlas:

Plenty of crooks here at home to go after.

At any rate, like everyone else, thoughts are with the young bloke and I hope his parents influence doesn’t stop him from making a positive contribution to peoples lives.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
!!

Ask her about their rule of law, procedural fairness and the presumption of innocence!

Why on Earth should we interfere in what the Philippines do?

Wizardman

First Grade
Was the offence committed within the AFP's jurisdiction?

If not, what a moronic statement.
The offence involves shipping drugs to Australia. The AFP has every right to investigate criminal activity which involves its citizens or preventing drugs from hitting our shores.

Try looking in the mirror champ.

Wizardman

First Grade
Yeah, but that still doesn’t make it right to kill people.

And your assumption is people can read and understand signs. They have to know the language, they have to be literate and I guess vision impaired people may not get the message.
If that comment is not taking the piss, than I don't know what is.

Here is the bottom line. Considering the allegations made against him, I'd say the chances of this bloke not knowing the penalties are zero. This is not a drug mule on their first rodeo we are talking about here (even though the penalties are made pretty obvious for everybody when they enter the country).

As I said before, it doesn't matter what we think about the death penalty. The fact is, there is a death penalty in Indonesia and we need to respect their laws. It is upto them on how they deal with Haas and if the allegations are proven accurate, then I don't care what they do with him.

_Johnsy

Referee
The offence involves shipping drugs to Australia. The AFP has every right to investigate criminal activity which involves its citizens or preventing drugs from hitting our shores.

Try looking in the mirror champ.
Did they arrive on our shores? If not then the AFP has no jurisdiction over the offences, as they were committed overseas. If the drugs hit Australian waters then they do. That was the point I was making, I’m shocked that needed to be clarified.

Bazal

Post Whore
Did they arrive on our shores? If not then the AFP has no jurisdiction over the offences, as they were committed overseas. If the drugs hit Australian waters then they do. That was the point I was making, I’m shocked that needed to be clarified.

Is there not some kind of conspiracy charge related to an Australian citizen planning/attempting to import drugs to Australia? That's a surprise if so

_Johnsy

Referee
Is there not some kind of conspiracy charge related to an Australian citizen planning/attempting to import drugs to Australia? That's a surprise if so
He was importing meth from Mexico to Indonesia. Nothing mentioned about Australia, that aspect is pure speculation. It is alleged he is part of the Mexican Sinaloa Cartel.

https://apple.news/AEp2Ll5D6RZOik4vSpYSB1Q

After high-drama capture, Haas’ life all but rests in the hands of Australian diplomats

In a possible high-stakes test for the Albanese government, the case of Gregor Haas, father of NRL star Payne, has the making of a three-way diplomatic tangle.

Manila: The Philippine government will involve Australia in a potentially life-or-death decision about what to do with accused drug trafficker Gregor Haas, raising the prospect of a diplomatic solution that could spare him the worst of Indonesian justice.

The father of Brisbane Broncos NRL star Payne Haas faces execution if he is extradited to Indonesia and convicted there. He is accused of sending five kilograms of methamphetamine from Mexico to Indonesia in a shipment of ceramic tiles, which was intercepted on December 11 last year.

Haas was arrested in the Philippines last week in a dramatic and highly planned joint operation between local police and a contingent of Indonesian investigators who had travelled to Cebu City for the sting.

In a possible high-stakes test for the Albanese government, the case has the makings of a diplomatic tangle between Indonesia, Australia and middleman the Philippines.

Indonesia, which also alleges Haas to be part of Mexico’s infamous Sinaloa Cartel, desperately wants him to face its home courts, which have handed out death sentences for far less. Albanese has promised to try to avoid this outcome.

The Philippine Bureau of Immigration (BI) said it was possible that Haas could be deported directly to Australia. This would deeply offend the Indonesians: it would mean their work tracking him down in Cebu was for nothing. Another option was for Haas to be sent to Indonesia on the condition he wouldn’t be killed if found guilty.

Without an intervention by Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, Haas’ future will be decided in weeks or months by the three-member board of commissioners within the BI.

“This is a big case already for Australia and it’s also a big case for Indonesia,” BI spokeswoman Dana Sandoval told this masthead on Monday.

“We’re actually surprised that this is making headlines because, at first, we thought it was just a regular arrest of a fugitive. But we found out this is going to be quite big, and it could mean diplomatic consideration. We are looking into these considerations before we make a decision.”

Haas arrived in the Philippines on a tourist visa on December 6. This was five days before Indonesian authorities discovered the alleged shipment of drugs sent from Guadalajara, Mexico. The Philippines became aware of his wanted status on March 22, but did not arrest him until May 15.

Family have visited him in the Manila detention centre where he is being held. Sandoval said there were no adverse reports about his mental health since his arrest.

The Philippines did not need to consult Australia about what to do with Haas but would do so anyway as a matter of goodwill, she said.

Australia and the Philippines have been drawn closer in the last 12 months because of increasing Chinese aggression in the region, and particularly the South China Sea, known locally and parochially as the West Philippine Sea.

Indonesian authorities told this masthead last week it expected “no problem” in securing Haas’ extradition. Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs would not comment because of “privacy obligations”. It was unclear if officials from the embassy in Manila had paid Haas a visit.

Australian involvement in the Philippines’ decision would be a good first step for Haas. Possibly working against him, however, was the pressure on Marcos Jr to secure the release of citizen Mary Jane Veloso, who has been on death row in Indonesia for more than a decade on highly contested claims of drug smuggling.

ANU international law professor Donald Rothwell warned Haas could be used as a bargaining chip in efforts to bring Veloso home. Sandoval said she was not in a position to comment.

The Philippines is a signatory to Second Optional Protocol on International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. On face value, this would prevent the nation sending Haas to his potential death.

Sandoval, however, said the terms of deportation were “still up for discussion”.

“The reason why we are deporting him is because he is a fugitive from justice,” she said. “We don’t look at the penalties that are going to be imposed … the fact he’s a fugitive from justice makes him an undesirable alien.”

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
!!

Way above, life is good.

The Philippines has plenty of issues, but like most places, dont be a dick and chances are you will be fine.

Mojo

Bench
Today I learnt that blind people may not know that peddling drugs over international borders is illegal.
Look on the bright side (excuse the pun):
1. they can handle a dark cell with relative ease; and
2. if the signs were written in braile it would still be difficult for them to get past the first two words "Don't touch ... drugs".

As someone who has seen what drugs do to those addicted & their families & also the victims of the crimes they commit to feed this habit,I have no problem with the death penalty .
In fact if it was possible to cary out the sentence more than once then go for it .

Wizardman

First Grade
As far as I can see, there is no real afp investigation....this is all the phantom's talk that they have been involved, not mine. AFP can certainly be involved with investigations from other law enforcement agencies to disrupt crime that clashes with the national interest. They apparently tipped off Indonesia before the Bali 9 left the country.....no issue with that.

Mojo

Bench
As far as I can see, there is no real afp investigation....this is all the phantom's talk that they have been involved, not mine. AFP can certainly be involved with investigations from other law enforcement agencies to disrupt crime that clashes with the national interest. They apparently tipped off Indonesia before the Bali 9 left the country.....no issue with that.
It's been quite a bizarre thread IMO - what could possibly be more appropriate for the AFP than being involved (successfully) in an investigation into international drug smuggling?

I understand the ethical argument that the phantom wants to debate but, obviously, it's a question of the nature of the crime. It's not as though the AFP dobs-in adulterous Afghans when they travel back to their homeland is it? This case is apparently about busting high-level operators in a major drug cartel.

Latest posts