What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peachy try proven to be the correct decision

t-ba

Post Whore
Who cares, we were fodder anyways and if we were any hope we shouldn't have been in a position where Penrith could win it 10 minutes out from the conclusion of the match.

They have to fix the system, the referee has to be given the option to say "I have no idea" because given how many deflections that ball took, no way can he be 100% certain it wasn't a knock on, his on-field decision carries too much weight for mine, there was so much doubt involved in that play how could any referee be so sure

f**k that shit.

Change it to a captain's challenge on things that result in a break in play. Ref's always have to make a call and then it is up to the captains to determine whether or not. It'd be f**king hilarious when a ref let something heinous go under the assumption a Captain's challenge would be forthcoming and then realised it had been exhausted. It'd also be hilarious when someone cynically uses it to stop a quick tap.

OldPanther

Coach
You do remember Manly had the ball in Panthers end of the field, they stuffed up their set and Penrith went down and kicked which UATE droped giving us field position for Carty to go around 5 Manly player to score. That didn't happen because of Peachy.

Last edited by a moderator:

catstorm

Juniors
I don't know that he touched it so surely there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn a try.

To be honest though, and this might be unpopular, I feel the rule should be changed.

I feel that if a player propels the ball forward with any part of their body between the neck to the waist it should be a knock on if the player made a play on the ball but was just to spazzy to actually get hands to it.

Otherwise you get situation like this or that god awful Brett Hodgson SOO try in 06.

TheFrog

Coach
The decision was correct based on the rules.

The rules are wrong.
You think when a ball is kicked into your chest and not played at it should be a knock on? I can see NRL coaches having fun with that.

Before the video ref that would nearly always be a knock on without question.
The ref had a good enough view of it to send it up as a try. Before the video ref, the ref would have just awarded the try.

I feel that if a player propels the ball forward with any part of their body between the neck to the waist it should be a knock on if the player made a play on the ball
Which Peachey didn't.

I know it has been said by others, but to change it to the referee sending the decision to the bunker with a "I have no idea" ruling is ridiculous. It then puts the onus on the bunker to come up with a decision, so they will probably take longer to review the decision and what happens if the video footage is completely inconclusive, what do you do then? It went to the on field referee making a call so that if the video was inconclusive we knew what was going to happen. I mean to people forget the "benefit of the doubt" rule where tries were being awarded which many felt should not have been?

Fact is no system of video review is going to be perfect, but to change like suggested is just going backwards in my book and is asking for bigger problems. People keep expecting perfection from match officials - talk about being unrealistic.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
You think when a ball is kicked into your chest and not played at it should be a knock on? I can see NRL coaches having fun with that.

The ref had a good enough view of it to send it up as a try. Before the video ref, the ref would have just awarded the try.

Which Peachey didn't.

Yeah Peachey was just standing there minding his own business when the evil Manly player pounded the ball into his chest.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Even if the rule was changed in this game it came off Peachy's leg last and wouldn't apply.

I'm sure we could go back through the games this year and find several occasions where a player spills the ball with last contact being the leg before it hits the ground.

That's what I don't like about the video ref. It goes into techicality areas that aren't afforded anywhere else on the field.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm sure we could go back through the games this year and find several occasions where a player spills the ball with last contact being the leg before it hits the ground.

That's what I don't like about the video ref. It goes into techicality areas that aren't afforded anywhere else on the field.

True. It's done because we have so much complaining in our game about getting things wrong.

mave

Coach
Because it didn't hit his hand and the officials saw that.

Do you truly believe that if Peachy had dropped the ball in exactly the same fashion 50m upfield the refs would have simply called play on ?

After what we have seen this year called as knock ons ?

Danny-Boy

Juniors
f**k a player taking a bomb the ball goes straight through without touching his hands/arms is an automatic knock on.

Shit like this just highlights everything that's wrong with refs/bunker. Just call the f**king knock on and move along.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Do you truly believe that if Peachy had dropped the ball in exactly the same fashion 50m upfield the refs would have simply called play on ?

After what we have seen this year called as knock ons ?
Drop the ball? Huh?

He didn't have possession, it was deflected into him unaware off his chest, he then kneed it without missing his hand.

Play on every day of the week for mine. If it gets called up mid-field so be it but with the benefit of video analysis in this instance, it's a try.