What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedan

The Lucky State

Juniors
Was only thinking the other day about this former great. One particular quote about him from Phil Gould sticks out in my mind. It was "Give me a team of billy pedans and I'll win you an origin series." I guess the statement surprised me because I think Gus was the NSW coach at the time and he didn't even seem to want one Billie Pedan. But thats not the point. The point is that what Gus was saying was that Pedan was a champion player with a champion attitude.

I'm wondering what other peoples recollections of B Pedan were? Who today would you compare to Pedan and what did he bring to football? I eagerly await your contribution.

Knightmare

Coach
Billy Peden was an underrated workhorse who probably should've been the Churchill medalist in the 2001 Grand Final if it hadn't gone to Ben Kennedy and the voters hadn't just wanted to kiss Joey's huge arse. Peden was probably the best player in the 90's/ 00's not to play rep football.

RABK

Referee
I'd compare him to Alan Tongue. Very similar.

A great clubmen who busted his ass for his team and was never rated but very well respected and liked by team mates and fans. Just a tremendous attitude and work ethic.

Yet he just wasn't fit for rep football - he was no Tallis, Hindmarsh, Menzies etc.

But unlike Canberra fans we never called for our respected nuffy to be selected in Rep teams.

Peden = two premierships. Peden > Tongue.

perverse

Referee
yeah i miss billy, absolute champion and clubsman. always put in 110%. was indeed probably ONE OF the best of his era not to play origin.

Knight87

Juniors
The Lucky State said:
Was only thinking the other day about this former great. One particular quote about him from Phil Gould sticks out in my mind. It was "Give me a team of billy pedans and I'll win you an origin series." I guess the statement surprised me because I think Gus was the NSW coach at the time and he didn't even seem to want one Billie Pedan. But thats not the point. The point is that what Gus was saying was that Pedan was a champion player with a champion attitude.

I'm wondering what other peoples recollections of B Pedan were? Who today would you compare to Pedan and what did he bring to football? I eagerly await your contribution.

Yep, I remember that. If memory serves me correctly, it was Peter Sterling who said that Phil Gould said "Give me 13 Billy Peden's and I'll win you an Origin series" after Billy Peden scored a try from a scrum (to get the Knights out to a 24-0 lead after 18 mins) in Newcastle's 52-8 romp of Cronulla in 2002 (the only first grade game where the Johns boys played off against each other and Joey got Man of the Match)

Billy Peden was a very good player at the Knights. Very solid in defense and always put in 100% week in week out. Unlucky not to get picked in any of the rep sides. Out of the 30 or so of his games that I went to see him play in, the one that stands out for me is the 2001 Grand Final. I believe that he or Ben Kennedy should've won the Clive Churchill medal over Johns in that game.

Recently I picked a hypothetical Knights dream team, a squad of 17 of the club's best players in their positions with a bench. Obviously the team included the likes of the Johns boys, Chief, O'Davis, Matt Gidley, Buderus, Kennedy, Muir, Sargent etc. Basically the whole side were Test players with a couple that at least played Origin. There were even a couple who played Origin and Test that missed out. But the first bloke I picked on the bench was Billy Peden. He was that kind of player. It wasn't always easy to pick his best position in the side but he had to be there. He played almost every position, including hooker in the '97 grand final. He was a great clubman and probably deserved an Origin jumper.

Raider_69

Post Whore
absolutely robbed imo of the Clive Churchill medal in 2001, he played imo the best game of his career and was robbed thanks to the A.Johns PR machine

Raider_69

Post Whore
Red and Blue Knight said:
But unlike Canberra fans we never called for our respected nuffy to be selected in Rep teams.

Peden = two premierships. Peden > Tongue.

:lol: :lol:
Your obsession with canberra and alan tongue is hilarious
Even to the point where you cant make a post about a great knights clubmen without trying to stick a boot into us or tongue... how sad

FTR - Tongue owns Peden

Raider_69 said:
:lol: :lol:
Your obsession with canberra and alan tongue is hilarious
Even to the point where you cant make a post about a great knights clubmen without trying to stick a boot into us or tongue... how sad

FTR - Tongue owns Peden

too early in tongues career to call, imo, he hasnt done half of what peden contributed to Newcastle at his stay.

tongue is a very similar player to peden, i think he will struggle to a make rep team, at least at first, because of the recent struggling culture that canberra has battled with, and their current position on the ladder

perhaps the reason why merritt was excluded from city/country.

Fatdog

Juniors
Did I see Billy Pedan running the water for the Knights on sunday. If it was him he is a lot shorter than i expected for an ex NRL forward. Does anyone know how tall Billy is?

The Lucky State

Juniors
Pedan vs Tongue. Great matchup. So much going for both players. I cant really call it, but can I throw another name into the mix? Soden. The little Norths hooker.

So SODEN VS PEDAN VS TONGUE? Rank em' 1.2.3

Farva

Juniors
Peden was a champ.

I reckon Galea from the Tigers is in the same mould as BP.

Matt23

Staff member
Fatdog said:
Did I see Billy Pedan running the water for the Knights on sunday. If it was him he is a lot shorter than i expected for an ex NRL forward. Does anyone know how tall Billy is?
I actually thought he was a trainer with an ESL team now...I could be wrong though

jamesgould

Juniors
Fatdog said:

Peden was 180cm according to one of my trading cards.

He was a great player - he may have been viewed as by solid by some, but he always had a touch of class that made him a cut above that. Scored the winning tries in matches numerous times. Was capable of a great offload. Had great ball-handling skills.

Newcastle could use him now. I agree, he could have played a fair bit more rep football, but looking back he'd have to be satisfied with his career.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Billy Peden is still fit enough to pull on a jumper now. His a machine one of the best players we had and our greatest clubmen. Never played a bad game and never sooked once about anything.

Alex28

Coach
Didn't Billy go to Harlequins or another ESL club as assistant coach?

He was a worker that well and truly deserved his 2 premiership rings.