What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Crowds

thommo4pm

Coach
As opposed to other clubs? :roll:

All clubs have the supporters you just mentioned. Panthers just have less of all of them given they have a smaller fanbase then most clubs.

Yes all clubs have them, but I think Penrith & Parra lead the way.

Penrith had no problems getting capacity crowds in 2003-2004.
One of my mates gave up his Penrith season ticket this year for this reason (and I quote him)
"I'm not going to waste my $$$ on them, when they produce sh*t football". That was back in March.
This from a guy who had been a season ticket holder for 6 years.

Flapper

First Grade
I'm a Tigers fan who lives in Penrith and I try to get to both Tigers games and Penrith home games. I couldn't get to either last night because of work.

People need to realise a lot of people have to come home from work at 5-5:30, making a 7:30 kickoff at CUA impossible.

But people just want an excuse to lay into us westie "bogans" again :roll:

Big Mick

Referee
The excuse of work is not a good one.... being lazy is a better reply.
I work in the CBD, travel to and from Penrith every day, yet never miss a Dragons home game. And get to any away game I can.
I also have to arrange for my two sons to get to the games, and I meet them at the gate, they generally travel with my brother or mum who are also season ticket holders.

Try going from penrith in the morning at 6.30am, to the CBD, then get to Kogarah for a 7.30pm kick off, then get home after that back to Penrith. Wollongong is even more difficult.

Not having a go at you Murraymob, but just stating Penrith the team, has some fickle, and bandwagon supporters, and some lazy supporters also.

I live in Cronulla...go to work in the CBD and have to go to Penrith for home games.

I leave at 6:30am too...but I don't have the luxury of leaving at 5pm from work everyday.

Like last night. I left work at 6:30pm (which is early) and would need to drive home to Cronulla to pick up my dad who can't walk...then drive out to Penrith for a 7:30pm kick-off.

Tell me genius, how do you suggest that is possible battling peak hour traffic through the eastern distributer and airport tunnell and then getting all the way out to Penrith in 1 hour? Buy the concord?

Don't freakin generalise calling fans lazy. I pay my $300 to be a grandstand member and it kills me to not attend games but for some people its too difficult on Friday/Monday's. Just because you go from Penrith to St.George and work in the CBD doesn't mean every Penrith fan is lazy and quite frankly its ridiculous.

I could say all Dragons fans are wankers based on my experiences with some around my area, but that would be incorrect as there are also some good ones. General comments don't do anyone any good.

Karlos

Juniors
I live in Cronulla...go to work in the CBD and have to go to Penrith for home games.

I leave at 6:30am too...but I don't have the luxury of leaving at 5pm from work everyday.

Like last night. I left work at 6:30pm (which is early) and would need to drive home to Cronulla to pick up my dad who can't walk...then drive out to Penrith for a 7:30pm kick-off.

Tell me genius, how do you suggest that is possible battling peak hour traffic through the eastern distributer and airport tunnell and then getting all the way out to Penrith in 1 hour? Buy the concord?

Don't freakin generalise calling fans lazy. I pay my $300 to be a grandstand member and it kills me to not attend games but for some people its too difficult on Friday/Monday's. Just because you go from Penrith to St.George and work in the CBD doesn't mean every Penrith fan is lazy and quite frankly its ridiculous.

I could say all Dragons fans are wankers based on my experiences with some around my area, but that would be incorrect as there are also some good ones. General comments don't do anyone any good.

I dont think anybody really gives two f**ks about what time you finish work, where you live or what the f**k else you do. The basic premise is that Sydneysiders (in general) are too lazy to get off their asses to get to games. Not you based on your sob story there but a lot of others. The figures dont lie.

You do 11 hour days and you cant afford a premiem membership?

Big Mick

Referee
I dont think anybody really gives two f**ks about what time you finish work, where you live or what the f**k else you do. The basic premise is that Sydneysiders (in general) are too lazy to get off their asses to get to games. Not you based on your sob story there but a lot of others. The figures dont lie.

I was responding to the guy saying he travels to Dragons games etc and saying Penrith fans are lazy, so how about you have a nice glass of shut the f**k up.

By the way, the grandstand membership... is the premium membership you dumb f**k. Are you a premium member of your cheating club or doesn't your dole check cover that?

And believe it or not genius...the amount of hours you do sometimes doesn't translate to how much you earn.

Last edited:

beave

Coach

nice work f#$k stain, I reckon you couldn't have done your argument any more harm than what you just did there, again, great work.........................

Karlos

Juniors
I was responding to the guy saying he travels to Dragons games etc and saying Penrith fans are lazy, so how about you have a nice glass of shut the f**k up.

By the way, the grandstand membership... is the premium membership you dumb f**k. Are you a premium member of your cheating club or doesn't your dole check cover that?

And believe it or not genius...the amount of hours you do sometimes doesn't translate to how much you earn.

Yes, but I dont think the guy who travels to dragon games was in the slightest bit interested in your personal situation (i could be wrong).

And well done for buying a premium membership. A Storm premium membership is $450.00 so no my dole cheque doesn't quite cover it (if only i could get rent assistance).

And well done for doing volunteer work too, that is admirable.

Karlos

Juniors
nice work f#$k stain, I reckon you couldn't have done your argument any more harm than what you just did there, again, great work.........................

On behalf of Big Mick, he appreciates your input. He was struggling there on his own, its good to have lollipopers around like you to back him up.

elie76

Juniors
most sane people try to avoid the m4 heading west on a friday afternoon at ALL costs! It is always ridiculously packed so I imagine that would turn a lot of people off.

So making the comparison between Penrith and Canberra is a little bit unfair, Canberra traffic is a breeze. I have been to Bruce Stadium a few times and it is a pretty relaxed easy drive and parking.

I did happen to go to the Penrith game last night, but had to leave work early to make it there just in time...

It was a great game and actually it looked pretty packed out to me...

Unfortunately for some reason anyone living past Paramatta seems to think Penrith is in another State!

Big Mick

Referee
On behalf of Big Mick, he appreciates your input. He was struggling there on his own, its good to have lollipopers around like you to back him up.

Don't need assistance, I could more than handle you by myself.

And don't really think its up to you to say whether that Dragon fan cares.

I didn't really care about his situation but he made an assumption that all Penrith fan's were just plain lazy and gave his story. So I rebuffed that by giving mine. If you don't like it, don't read it...and most certainly don't reply.

As for my charity work, thank you. I know you are having a subtle dig at the earnings comment. But I'll hammer you here. I do a substantial amount for Rugby League in the community aside from the drive run by members of LU last year which raised over $30k for the Fai family. I have also raised $35k for the Starlight foundation this year along with granting 2 wishes to sick children this year. I do this outside my 11 hour days because I enjoy helping people. What have you ever done that is worth anything in your life? What have you ever given up? I bet not much given your clear attitude problem.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
As for the Saints game, the capacity of Kogarah has been vastly reduced; probably not much more than 18,500. There was 2000 shy of that. I'm not sure which game Fast Eddie attended, but I thought the Tigers turn up was abysmal. There wouldn't have been more than 4 or 5 fans in a group.

THIS.

i said it in another thread but i have no idea what this Eddie guy is on about. there was hardly any Tigers fans there. sh*tty turn out.

it was mostly Dragons fans and for a Friday nite it was an awesome crowd. Sunday arvo games there are always full houses.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I thought the consensus was that sunday game's are generally the best football. Asking people to finish a week of work and then rush out to football game might be a but rich for some. I think any game on free to air tv would generally have lower crowds though, esp. in the middle of winter. Even if it was a delayed telecast. Basing all that solely on conjecture though.
I be great if the NRL only had 1 saturday night game and the rest being sunday afternoon games and rid the friday night and monday night games.

The Tank

Bench
I think people need to realise that RL just isn't that popular. It rates consistently well on TV but attendances have never really been that great anywhere. Having said that, play that game on Sunday and you'll go close to capacity.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I live in Penrith and have most of my life (Parra STH). They easily arent the most popular team. Its hard to imagine why though. True they havent had any long term success and thats a big factor.

Souths, Dragons, Parra, Broncos, Storm, Bulldogs all had long term success at some point in their history (so did Canberra but its strange that they dont have the fan base of the others). And most people genually follow who their family follows.

The main reason why people support Penrith is because they are the local team, other then that there isnt any real reason too. Parras success in the 80's helped us and we are still feeling it today, Saints obviously from 55-66 are still reaping the rewards of that great side, and I think Melbournes recent success is the reason for their high membership numbers.

I think its a serious problem that the Penrith club need to address and to their credit they really are trying their arses off. Development wise Penrith are awesome and second to none at club level. I played in various comps in the Penrith division and every game is good quality for that level. The Panther Trohpy (if thats still going) was a great competition, had the time and games of my life there (five eight, best position in the world). But when it comes to getting fans there is no other appeal other then "the local team".

They have done a smart thing with the pink jerseys. I think that was great initiative, but they need to some how find a way of making the Panther brand fashionable in a way St George has with the Red V, the Bunnies and their Rabbit sticker, and the way the Bulldogs linked with their fanbase and community.

Penith lack an image.

thommo4pm

Coach

Wasn't aiming my post directly at you. There are always diehard fans, which quite clearly you are one.
In the main, Penrith fans are lazy and that can't be denied.
Most people on this website would be considered die hards and would do whatever they can to see their sides play.

I don't think I said every Penrith fan is lazy.
Nor do I get to leave work at 5pm, and most days I leave after 6pm, however when Saints are playing on a week night I make sure I leave in time to get there. Obviously your situation is different.