What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith in negotiations to play premiership matches in Hobart

ek999

First Grade
Do you know the meaning of the word "reciprocal"? These ANZ teams give free entry for away fans because their own fans get free entry to other away games.

The Panthers aren't in a position to do that because their stadium is too small to let in potentially thousands of Dogs or Souths fans. So Panthers fans are just losing a game and getting no other game in return.

Reciprocal probably isn't the right word (but it was all I could think of) because they aren't all a straight swap like that. The Dragons for example have to pay extra to go to the two away matches at ANZ whilst the Bulldogs get three away away games at ANZ included in their memberships as compensation for the matches in NZ and wherever else they have taken a match too. Panthers could easily include an away match at ANZ against Souths or Bulldogs as compensation, or reduce their prices which they have done.

Do you know the meaning of the word "reciprocal"? These ANZ teams give free entry for away fans because their own fans get free entry to other away games.

The Panthers aren't in a position to do that because their stadium is too small to let in potentially thousands of Dogs or Souths fans. So Panthers fans are just losing a game and getting no other game in return.

All this thread needed was a bit of "MENSA LIKE" thinking.

:lol::lol:
That rules you out.

firechild

First Grade
Do members get a discount for losing a game?

Every game that is taken away from a teams real fans is a slap in the face to them, without those members these clubs wouldn't exist and now they're whoreing themselves out to go and play in the middle of nowhere.

Memberships are sold based on the number of home games they attend. Manly have had 10 home games for several years now with games being taken to Bluetongue, Suncorp, Perth and NZ. Clubs are trying to expand their membership base as well as chase financial incentives, and why shouldn't they? These games aren't being taken away from members after they've already forked out the cash.

What's even worse is that you're allegedly a fan of the game but never go to see your team play. "Fans" like you are the reason clubs need to chase the dollar by moving games.

Canard

Immortal
It would make sense if they are going to get a 15K crowd as opposed to a 8K crowd and they are getting financial incentives to do it.

Can't see anything wrong with it to be honest.

Dutchy

Immortal
They don't care for league. When I was there mid NRL seasons a couple of years ago, the state paper had no more than the following as NRL coverage.

Manly 24 Souffs 10
Roosters 104 Parra 0
Tigers lol storm 8

And not even for the whole round.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I don't have anything against all foreign home games. Provided it meets two obligations. This Penrith move meets neither. The requirements are:

A) The members get the game back elsewhere like Souths and Dogs fans do.
B) The NRL makes it mandatory for moved NRL games to be played in stadiums with at least a capacity of 20,000.

The NRL has said it wants average crowds of 20,000 within a few short years. Since then crowds have actually decreased which means they have less years to grow by more than when the initial target was made.

Now how is that supposed to happen when games are played at ground that hold 4 figures. Parra did it last year in the middle of nowhere and now Penrith is doing it.

It should be player in the ground that holds Test cricket down there. Either that or make the Tasmanians build a real stadium if they want NRL games.

ek999

First Grade
Last time Parramatta played Gold Coast at home in 2011 it drew a crowd of just over 10,000. In a year following winning a wooden spoon and going just as bad this year I don't think you can confidently say it would have drawn more fans at Parramatta than Mudgee whilst losing the other incentives and benefits taking a match somewhere else brings.

Secondly to have an average crowd of 20,000 means having a total of 240,000 at the 12 games of the year. Moving a low drawing game to somewhere where you can get a crowd of 10,000 people means you need to bring in 230,000 people at the remaining 11 matches or an average of 20,909 which should be achievable. Plus Parra are aiming for 20,000 members this year so in 5 years time they should be getting those crowd numbers easily. Bulldogs, Souths, Roosters and Broncos already are and I expect Newcastle to in 2014 (which they were in 2012).

Thridly, why should a moved home match have to be played somewhere with a capactiy of 20,000 when most clubs can't even get that at their home grounds at the moment?

maple_69

Bench
Sounds like you could work on your comprehension pal.
Panthers memberships were sold at a reduced price this season to accomodate one less game at Penrith.
Talk is to move the game to North Hobart Oval which has a capacity of 18000. Close to capacity and Penrith has a crowd possibly twice what they would for a NQLD game at Penrith. How is that not a very positive step towards raising the average crowd towards 20000.

Penrith has long been bagged for their crowds and lack of support for a long time. Here they are trying to build that as well as broadening the games reach. Shame on them.

Canard

Immortal
It should be player in the ground that holds Test cricket down there. Either that or make the Tasmanians build a real stadium if they want NRL games.

So rather than try to increase there crowd numbers by taking a low drawing game to a bigger crowd drawing venue, they should just stay at home and draw the low crowd.

Notice the flaw in your logic?

ek999

First Grade
Also the 20,000 target is game wide and not for each team to average 20,000. If the Broncos average 35,000 the Bulldogs, Roosters, and Souths 30,000 Newcastle 25,000 and Melbourne 20,000 and every other team 15,000 that will be a game wide average of 20,000. All crowd figures that are quite achievable and not taking into acomerkin substantial growth possible by clubs like Parra and Dragons along with efforts being made by all clubs to increase crowds

TheDalek079

Bench
Wouldn't need to whore themselves to other towns if people actually turned up to the games.

As a Souths supporter, member and season ticket holder I was a bit miffed about Souths taking a game to Cairns this year (as well as the one in Perth and the one on the Central Coast). But I got over it once I saw the financial incentives given to the club, the fact they were broadening the NRL market, engaging with new fans and sponsors AND getting the same, and maybe more people in the crowd than say if the Warriors or Titans played at ANZ.

You can't blame Souths (in my experience) nor Para (who are taking a game to NT), Penrith or the Bulldogs (Perth in 2014, not sure if they are doing their home game vs Titans at Suncorp again) for taking the coin and trying to broaden their appeal when the people who live closest to those teams either pick and choose the matches they want to see OR don't turn up in numbers.

Good on Penrith. I hope it works for them. I hope the NRL encourages all Sydney based clubs to take at least ONE game away to a region. Build it and they will come.

yes, yes and yes

I'm not sure why we give BM oxygen.

Souths were taking games to Gosford BEFORE the reciprocal rites were brought in.

And this year, you can buy a Souths membership ticket for home games (which is cheaper than this years) OR a Souths membership which gets you the home games AND reciprocal 3 games AND Charity Shield - which is about the same price as this year's membership ticket.

Plenty of options. Not dudding home fans AND expanding their market.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Penrith struggle to pull 8000 fans for home games against anyone, Sydney team or not. Going to TAS would at least lift their crowd average. I just don't see why TAS wants the game. It's not like there will be an influx of tourists flying down for the game. Panthers fans are flat out getting to Penrith let alone not-Penrith!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
They don't care for league. When I was there mid NRL seasons a couple of years ago, the state paper had no more than the following as NRL coverage.

Manly 24 Souffs 10
Roosters 104 Parra 0
Tigers lol storm 8

Coverage of the NRL was just as bad in Melbourne before the Storm came along.

Are you really surprised that Tasmanians don't report on the game when the game doesn't try to involve them... Do you think that maybe playing some NRL matches down there might help?

Canard

Immortal
Does anyone think that a paper is indicative of what the public want to see, watch and think anymore?

elbusto

Coach
Justin, this is a serious question, do you think it will matter to the Tassie public that it will be Penrith instead of the Storm? Although there was about 15k at the trial last year, the Storm and Broncos are arguably more recognisable brands than Penrith.

I was at the trial game and I spoke to as many fans as I could there and predominately all loved the fact that they had a top-level sport being played in Hobart. In order to be a success the Panthers need to do some ground work in Hobart and Tassy to build the brand and play on the fact that Tassy now has a sporting fixture that features the best Rugby in the world at their doorstep.

Also I will be in Tassy in early January, will there be any local games being played, would love to come down and see a game?
I think it will make a difference. The Panthers need to play the Warriors, Storm or Brisbane in my opinion.

And yes Penrith need to do some work here particularly with the TRL.

Our season recommences 11 January - Tigers v Storm in Hobart at 2.30 Uni Oval. That will be a cracker mate.

elbusto

Coach

Manly 24 Souffs 10
Roosters 104 Parra 0
Tigers lol storm 8

Nearly 70000 watched this years Grand Final and SOO attracts TV audiences over 50000 each game.

Over 10000 watch NRL on GEM each weekend.

Try and get your facts straight first mate.

mxlegend99

Referee
It would make sense if they are going to get a 15K crowd as opposed to a 8K crowd and they are getting financial incentives to do it.

Can't see anything wrong with it to be honest.
If it's a game against an out of sydney team like the Cowboys, Storm or Titans then there's pretty much no way that the crowd in Tasmania would be smaller.

We're lucky to get 10k against teams from outside of Sydney. Those teams have little support in the area, and the Panthers would probably have less supporters living in Penrith then the Bulldogs and Eels do. Since Gus has taken over, there have been some pretty awesome decisions made to try and increase our supporter base. But it's going to take time and some decent results from the football team. I think most fans would be fine in losing a single home game and having a cheaper membership. They're not missing out financially, and I'd bet that the majority of season ticket holders don't attend every game anyway. I know that the past few years there has always been atleast one or two games I couldn't attend. If not more (In 2013 I only made it to 5 or 6 home games). I just record those on IQ and watch them when I am able to. Usually knowing the score before hand as no matter why I am unable to attend, my phone is glued to my hand getting updates. lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't have anything against all foreign home games. Provided it meets two obligations. This Penrith move meets neither. The requirements are:

A) The members get the game back elsewhere like Souths and Dogs fans do.
B) The NRL makes it mandatory for moved NRL games to be played in stadiums with at least a capacity of 20,000.

The NRL has said it wants average crowds of 20,000 within a few short years. Since then crowds have actually decreased which means they have less years to grow by more than when the initial target was made.

Souths Perth game was better attended than eight of your home games in Sydney, clearly souths should be playing more games in the West!

franklin2323

Immortal
Sounds like you could work on your comprehension pal.
Panthers memberships were sold at a reduced price this season to accomodate one less game at Penrith.
Talk is to move the game to North Hobart Oval which has a capacity of 18000. Close to capacity and Penrith has a crowd possibly twice what they would for a NQLD game at Penrith. How is that not a very positive step towards raising the average crowd towards 20000.

Penrith has long been bagged for their crowds and lack of support for a long time. Here they are trying to build that as well as broadening the games reach. Shame on them.

You have more chance of explaining it to a geniused monkey then Bunniesman

Latest posts