What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith locals anyone read the Western Weekender?

C.P

Juniors
Sat down this afternoon to read the weekender started at the back page (as you do) and noticed a new back page writer some bloke called Troy Dodds and his glamour shots photo. Anyway all was going swimmingly until i got to the 2nd item which started.

"If the Bulldogs want to keep Willie Mason, word is they'll have to be prepared to fork out $550,000 per season."

I dont know where this gibberer has come from, maybe he previously covered lawn bowls or something but anyone with half a brain would know that (a) no one at any NRL club would get a $550K deal these days and (b) definately not at the bulldogs with the players they are trying to re sign.

Over the years the weekender back page has had some decent writers but this bloke obviosly has no clue and should give up getting his tips from his grandma.

SP

Bench
well the writers name says it all for me

& no i didnt read it, not a local, well anymore

AdamH

Juniors
troy dodds is a panthers supporter. he used to post at rleague i think. i began making a panthers website with him a few years back. i'm 100% sure, but i think he ran leagueaustralia, but crossed over to ozleague.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Troy Dodds has been a reporter for quite some time and a panther supporter for longer. He use to give it to the panthers when we were losing around the spoon day! :shock: He did try not to be biast but sometime that can come with overkill! :D It's pretty much how i remember him and I also remember him because he use to flog his country singer girlfriend's name and appearances to us back in the old guestbook days. ;-)
He's a member of the panther site plus he's a member of this site. Yes he use to write for ozleague or something, and I thought he actually wrote articles for League Unlimited too - could be wrong but I'm sure I've seen his name under some articles on the home pages.

Interesting to note that he reports for the WW now... :D Ooooh there could be some fireworks happening at another site between a few certain people. :lol:

Caged Panther

First Grade
lol, not wrong their PK but I wouldn't believe to much anyone in the western weekend rights especially about Panthers given the fact the owner didn't get his own way re certain issues.

*Sandy*

First Grade
It's a shame it's like that.

But getting back onto Troy Dodds - i think it's a bit rough to stomp on him due to a *2nd* item he wrote considering everything else above it was going *swimmingly* well.

I watched Willie on the footy show and he himself said that he's after the top dollar to set himself up for life after footy. He's a great player when in form and focused but i don't think he's worth it and if Union want to throw money at him of that value and he's quite happy to make the jump for money, then - Bye Willie. ;-)

C.P

Juniors
PK it was all going "swimmingly" as a figure of speech :roll: Point I was making, is that NO current player no matter who he is, no matter what he means to a club etc etc will be paid $550K a season in the NRL. He may want "top dollar to set himself up after footy" but that figure is an impossibilty in the NRL. Union yes, ESL maybe but NRL no and that was the point i was making that it was ridiculous journalism to suggest that an NRL club would pay that

kate

Juniors
funnily enough we dont seem to get the weekender at my place whenever i want to read it.... they never miss a week in the footy off season, but as soon as it comes back.... no damn Weekender! :( :cry:

lemon rabbit

Juniors
I think Dodds got it 100 per cent correct with Mason - he will command and will get around $500,000 a season. I enjoy the Dodds column. A nice mix of light hearted banter, rumours and general league chat. Good stuff.

Dodds runs a performing arts consultancy now, apparently, given my web searches!

Bob

Juniors
kate said:
funnily enough we dont seem to get the weekender at my place whenever i want to read it.... they never miss a week in the footy off season, but as soon as it comes back.... no damn Weekender! :( :cry:
Your not missing much Kate. :D