What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith unable to blood juniors due to salary cap

maple_69

Bench
INJURY-ravaged Penrith must battle without fresh troops because the salary cap is preventing coach Ivan Cleary from selecting any more new players this season.

On top of heavily back-ended contracts causing long-term headaches, the struggling Panthers are now in a complete bind because their second-tier salary cap is at breaking point.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Penrith are already within $5000 of the $350,000 limit after using 30 players in the first nine weeks.

General manager Phil Gould last night conceded Cleary's team selection was now at the mercy of NRL cap auditor Ian Schubert, who must be consulted for relief should the club wish to blood juniors.

But Schubert will only agree if there's no fit bodies - who've previously played in the same position - available.

"The rules are there, so it looks like we'll be unable to blood any kids in first grade this season for development purposes," Gould said.

"Being brutally honest, it's going to be a tough ask to make the finals so a big focus was giving some of our younger players a taste of NRL.

"But we can't do that without breaching the cap. We're effectively in the position where the salary cap auditor is picking the team for us."

Even before the loss of NRL squad members Michael Gordon, Nathan Smith, Nigel Plum, Greg Waddell and Junior Tia Kilifi to long-term injury, Penrith were hamstrung.

Released forwards Junior Paulo (Parramatta) and Yileen Gordon (Moore Park) account for one third of the second-tier cap, while three-quarter Junior Vaivai cannot play NRL until an outstanding criminal charge is resolved.

This weekend, only five players are eligible from NSW Cup feeder side Windsor Wolves.

And with Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings certain to be picked for NSW, the squeeze will grow even tighter ahead of next Saturday night's trip to Townsville. To make matters worse, Penrith have just been fined $30,000 for breaching the second-tier cap last season.

Cautious not to re-offend, football manager Phil Moss is in regular contact with Schubert. And Gould will raise the plight among broader western Sydney issues when he personally meets NRL boss David Gallop on Monday.

"One of the key things is that our young players are the key to this club going forward," Gould said. "We want to promote them, but at the moment we can't.

"At the same time, the club has to take responsibility for the situation it's in. I want to build a culture here where there are no excuses for under performance."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/penrith-at-mercy-of-salary-cap-auditor/story-e6frexnr-1226352488946

This story was posted on the Panthers forum earlier today.

I mentioned the second tier salary cap might be weighing into selections a week ago and went counted how many players we've used in First Grade in the first 9 rounds. I counted 26 including Mansour.

Fatiaki and Plum are the only guys in our top squad that haven't been used this season.

I make it Mansour and Robinson as the only guys from outside our top squad, but I must be missing one player.

Anyway, interesting if true. Would certainly explain most selections. Would also mean our season is now completely and utterly pointless.

Spitty

Juniors
Play whoever and cop the fine

Problem is, it's only round 10 and the more you breach it by the higher the fine is.

So if we need to breach it in round 10, how much is it going to add up to come round 26?

Could end up being a hefty fine, when the club isn't exactly rolling in cash.

The OX

Juniors
If you cant field a team without breaking the rules could they really enforce explusion?

Can hardly field a team with a prop as fullback or wing.....

Surely the NRL must consider an injury toll like season ending wrecks like Gordon and Smith.

maple_69

Bench
Interested to see what Gus can work out.
We're clearly no threat to any other club, except maybe Parra and Penrith is doing no one in the league any good by being lapped every week with the same team of plodders.

The other thing I guess you have to consider if there are no concessions arranged. If we just rack up a fine this year by bringing in young guys, will it hangover into next years cap, screwing us even further?

Either way I think we need to get Siejka and VTK some games under the belt this season.

murraymob

Coach
Harry should be able to play as he is part of the first grade squad and i would have thhought that meant he was already included in the cap

franklin2323

Immortal
Depends how recent that is although it has 26 not 25. My poster at work from 1 of the papers has no Simpkins or Achurch. Has Siejka instead. So who knows.

Latest posts