What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Souths semi final

soc123_au

Staff member
It is a good thing that I'm sitting down. I am in total shock. Thanks.
Cronk has been on the Cleary train for a while, he is pretty switched on as an analyst. Especially picking up on the subtle things most pundits don't notice, but when he breaks it down you can see the differences they make in the context of how an attacking play turns out.

Original Name

Juniors
For this game, or to take out the grand final?
For this game. they agreed we're looking like the team in best shape for the gf like last week or the week before but haven't really talked about it in detail wouldn't say Cronk's massive on us to win the gf. But Matty's massive on our style of play. He loves it.

Original Name

Juniors
For this game, or to take out the grand final?
This week (and Matty too) Cronk says it's a no brainer we'll win and Cleary will dominate Souths with his kicking. They do it week by week so they aren't really talking about the gf. I wouldn't say Cronk's massive on us or on Melbourne to win the gf, it's hard to see what his opinion is from his statements. On the podcasts he likes to talk very objectively and prefers to makes statements.

Matty's the guy that's massive on our play style. Says he loves our shot for shot mentality. He's more the gushing type. Like Matty talks about how much he loves the shoot for shot style Cleary's in charge off then Cronk clarifies traditionally it means play on play and it means something like your halfback hits the second rower on a half then swings down the short side to combine with this other creative players. It's supposed to be a shot then take the second inside that corridor of the field. But we're playing shot for shot as in set play to Kikau one on one then when he gets a quick play the ball take a shot either side of the side.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Juniors
I know it’s not gonna happen but would love to see Critta and Momo switch around in attack. That way Critta can still cart it out of our end but also have more impact (than Momo) with the ball. Seems pretty simple but I’m sure there’s reasons why Ivan won’t do it.

The_Frog

First Grade
So if AddoCarr is back next week (more likely week 3 as they won't have to play next week), Kent is suggesting we're better off than the Storm based on Brenko Lee being injured. He wouldn't even make the side. He leaves out Tyrone May who would very likely make our side.

When you are a journo, you have to write something.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
The game could come down to the kicking game plain and simple .Reynolds and Cleary who is having the better day.i don’t see either side scoring long range tries .So kicking and trapping the opposition in the end will be where it is won and lost

The_Frog

First Grade
The game could come down to the kicking game plain and simple .Reynolds and Cleary who is having the better day.i don’t see either side scoring long range tries .So kicking and trapping the opposition in the end will be where it is won and lost
Souths are lethal attacking in the opposition 20. One way they'll try to bring this about is by Reynolds kicking 40/20s. He's the best exponent of this dark art in the game, and the importance of these kicks is accentuated when Souths are having trouble getting out of their territory with the ball. Our back 3 will need to stay awake. The one he did against us last game could not have been stopped even by Superman.

maple_69

Bench
I haven't heard what Cronk or Matty had to say about us but I do think our play style is better suited to finals footy than Souths/Storm. We are more comfortable in a grind, we are built to win space and field position and go for 80. If we get any of these teams into an arm wrestle, and don't allow them to run down hill early, they are going to struggle.

murraymob

Coach
Souths are lethal attacking in the opposition 20. One way they'll try to bring this about is by Reynolds kicking 40/20s. He's the best exponent of this dark art in the game, and the importance of these kicks is accentuated when Souths are having trouble getting out of their territory with the ball. Our back 3 will need to stay awake. The one he did against us last game could not have been stopped even by Superman.
That kick last year was a turning point .Half a boot over the line it goes our way.they more than likely score if they get a full set in our line

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the Bunnies without Latrell is a huge loss for them, goes without saying and at our best we should be good enough to get the job done. Hopefully no controversy, no bunker howlers either way and the game is 13 on 13 for 80 minutes. Given the way this season has unfolded you have to fear there are going to be crucial decisions which could determine the outcome of games. I hope not but it is a concern.

Latest posts