What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People can't even be bothered to criticise the Dally M's this year.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
The Dally M is widely regarded as a joke. It strongly disadvantages anyone in a team with a lot of depth and seconldy its voted on by people nobody really respects. Last year there were cries from people to scrap it and lots of ideas put forward for a different awards ceremony. However this year nobody can even be bothered to talk about it. I think people have just accepted the NRL will do nothing to change it and that were stuck with this joke. Oh well who really cares anyway. The real glory is in winning matches.

Hindyscrack

Bench
any individual award is going to be hampered by a team with great depth or that doesnt rely on a certain individual... simple

dimitri

First Grade
Hindyscrack said:
any individual award is going to be hampered by a team with great depth or that doesnt rely on a certain individual... simple

BINGO

Ziggy the God

First Grade
At the end of the day, awards nights generally get it right, but there will always be subjectivity when points are awarded by different individuals.

Whether it was Thurston or Farrah, either would have been a worthy winner.

_STING_

Juniors
Ziggy the God said:
At the end of the day, awards nights generally get it right, but there will always be subjectivity when points are awarded by different individuals.

Whether it was Thurston or Farrah, either would have been a worthy winner.

Totally agree with you Ziggy (did I say that? :shock: )

At the end of the day it is subjective but I have no problem with either Farrah or Thurston winnnig it, as I didn't when the last few winners have won it. I can't think of any other player who deserves it this year who have dominated games, not just their team.

As far as teams with little depth is concerned, when Joey won it, didn't Newcastle have decent player depth?

Simo

First Grade
Its about an hour/half hour to long though I reckon, but not as sh*t boring as the all day affair the AFL has.

Luke Bailey sort of summed it up (although a little disrespectful) that it was dragging on at the end.

Agree that both were worthy winners but I kinda hoped Farah would get it cause I like him.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Kid Dynamite said:
The Dally M is widely regarded as a joke. It strongly disadvantages anyone in a team with a lot of depth and seconldy its voted on by people nobody really respects. Last year there were cries from people to scrap it and lots of ideas put forward for a different awards ceremony. However this year nobody can even be bothered to talk about it. I think people have just accepted the NRL will do nothing to change it and that were stuck with this joke. Oh well who really cares anyway. The real glory is in winning matches.

No one cares what you think.

Pigskin

Juniors
Simo said:
Its about an hour/half hour to long though I reckon, but not as sh*t boring as the all day affair the AFL has.

Luke Bailey sort of summed it up (although a little disrespectful) that it was dragging on at the end.

Agree that both were worthy winners but I kinda hoped Farah would get it cause I like him.

you sir, have NFI

I'm a league supporter through and through and rarely watch a game of AFL

but I am an all round sports lover so therefore take an interest in all codes

The AFL does a LOT of things much better than the NRL and the best and fairest medal is most definitely one of them

a Brownlow is prestigious, a Dally M is something from a box of corn flakes

all these little sub-issues that the NRL can't get right just make me cringe often

I'd be happy to make a list ... just tell me where to post

Oink !

Simo

First Grade
Pigskin said:
you sir, have NFI

I'm a league supporter through and through and rarely watch a game of AFL

but I am an all round sports lover so therefore take an interest in all codes

The AFL does a LOT of things much better than the NRL and the best and fairest medal is most definitely one of them

a Brownlow is prestigious, a Dally M is something from a box of corn flakes

all these little sub-issues that the NRL can't get right just make me cringe often

I'd be happy to make a list ... just tell me where to post

Oink !
What a great arguement. I have no idea because I disagree with you.
I dont care what your affiliations are, in my opinion the AFL brownlow medal is so bloody long it becomes one of the most boring things ive ever had to sit through.

I found the Dally M's dragged on a bit last night and think they could be shortened by 1/2 hour or so themselves.

If you find sitting through the brownlow medal enjoyable from start to finish then good for you. In my opinion it is a snore fest and I hope our game doesnt extend it to that length.

The Tank

Bench
How does everyone think the Dally M's (or a new medal) should be conducted. Should it just be the vote count without the player positions and such. And what should be the voting process (3,2,1, or other). And who gets to vote (IMO the fact journalists vote for the points makes the winning the Dally M worthless).

Raider_69

Post Whore
the Dally M's have lacked credability for years, imo its starting to regain some of it, but its still not worth sh*t imo

that said, thurston is the best player in the game and he got the award so they got that right at least

ucantseeme

Juniors
I dont think the Dally M's is a joke at all. Although the fact it is decided by News Ltd journo's and FoxSports commentators isn't ideal, but they are NRL experts since it's their job.

It's interesting how they seemed to hurry up at the end. At the start of the show, Warren Smith would introduce Menzies or some other guest presenter, have a chat then present the award for something. Then by the end of the night when Robbie Farah won Hooker of the Year they just gave him the award at his table.

I was cheering for JT over Farah at the end coz I thought he deserved it more given how the Tigers finished.

Simo

First Grade
The Tank said:
How does everyone think the Dally M's (or a new medal) should be conducted. Should it just be the vote count without the player positions and such. And what should be the voting process (3,2,1, or other). And who gets to vote (IMO the fact journalists vote for the points makes the winning the Dally M worthless).

Good point, Ill have to think about the best format. I like the 3,2,1 for each game but agree with you that those who pick it should not just be journos.

Who are all the selectors? Is there a list?

I dont really have a problem with Laurie Daley as such as he knows the game well.

Do you think past players only get votes?

Raider_69

Post Whore
the rothmans medal had the right idea... great format, that medal had prestige... and unlike the dally M's, it wasnt a halves/hooker award

Mr Saab

Referee
Simo said:
Who are all the selectors? Is there a list?

Some of the judges include

Gary Freeman
Daley
Pearce
Ikin
M Johns
Mascord
Dean Ritchie
Tallis

Better than the recent yrs when you have Ray Chesterton, Karl DeKroo and James Hooper as part of the team.

Raider_69

Post Whore
But still, when you got blokes like M Johns, Tallis, Pearce and Ikin, how can you expect an unbiased result?