What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personalised jersey numbers?

big hit!

Bench
Required to submit squad numbers for the WC.

Rather than predict the actual team 1-17, or use the team from the last test, Hagan determined them based on number of caps and then alphabetical order for the players yet to make their debut, except for Tedesco who got 1 because he's captain.

I don't mind it. It's a number. It's a stain on the intelligence of the rugby league supporter that they need a number to identify the position of a player. I would've preferred the incumbents got their positional number though, and then the rest just got whatever.

It was a rule brought in for this World Cup. It should not be a real surprise considering that is how they've been doing jersey numbering in the UK Super League for the last 10-20 years. Personally I don't like it, but it is what it is.

They tried it in Australia during SL in 1997 and everyone, including the players and clubs who went to SL, agreed to go stick to the traditional numbering when the NRL was formed.

Also its no "word on the street", the SMH had an article explaining it published earlier today -

big hit!

Bench
It was a rule brought in for this World Cup. It should not be a real surprise considering that is how they've been doing jersey numbering in the UK Super League for the last 10-20 years. Personally I don't like it, but it is what it is.

They tried it in Australia during SL in 1997 and everyone, including the players and clubs who went to SL, agreed to go stick to the traditional numbering when the NRL was formed.

Also its no "word on the street", the SMH had an article explaining it published earlier today -

Soccer has personalised squad numbers, but maintain the link to the position. For example, a forward will be 9 or 10, not a defender. Goal keeper is always 1.

The Roos haven't considered positions at all which is why it looks so odd. Tedesco, Holmes, Murray & Carrigan being in their positional number is just coincidence.

yobbo84

Coach
Example lineup:

1. Tedesco
9. Addo-Carr
8. Mitchell
10. Wighton
4. Holmes
7. Munster
14. Cleary
6. Campbell-Gillard
3. Hunt
13. Carrigan
11. Murray
22. Nanai
24. Yeo

20. Grant
18. Fa'asuamaleaui
15. Collins
17. Crichton

Yeah, that's odd.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I'd imagine Cleary has been dreaming of wearing the Kangaroos Number 7 since he was a kid, following the greats like Mortimer, Sterling, Langer, Stuart and Johns. He finally gets there and they hand him Number 14.

Bazal

Post Whore
I mean it looks odd but this falls very firmly into the who cares pile for me.

I just wanna know what number the apex will be

Example lineup:

1. Tedesco
9. Addo-Carr
8. Mitchell
10. Wighton
4. Holmes
7. Munster
14. Cleary
6. Campbell-Gillard
3. Hunt
13. Carrigan
11. Murray
22. Nanai
24. Yeo

20. Grant
18. Fa'asuamaleaui
15. Collins
17. Crichton

Yeah, that's odd.

It was explained in the article from the Herald which I posted the link to up thread. They gave the "1" jersey to Tedesco as he is captain. Otherwise the numbering was done based on how long they had been a kangaroo with those who have been there the longest (as in made their debut the furtherst back) getting the lower numbers, whilst the debutants all got the higher double digit numbers.

I agree its stupid, but considering the WC organisers are the UK league, should we really be surprised?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Hate it.

However back in the day touring squads all had squad numbers. Lions, Kangaroos, Kiwis and French teams.

For example Reg Gasnier wore No.7 on the 1963 Tour of UK and France. Johnny Raper was No.15 and captain Ian Walsh No.25.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Having a squad number based on seniority for media & training wear would be fine, players could work their way up throughout their career. For games it’s pretty dumb.

In saying that Australia could have just used the numbers for their first game Vs Fiji as the numbers for 1-19 and put the rest in alphabetical order, they’ve turned a minor annoyance in to a large annoyance.