What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personalised jersey numbers?

TDD91

Juniors
I mean, Aussies were convinced for years that the pack was numbered the wrong way round, not a surprise you ballsed up numbering the whole team.

Nuke

Staff member
Dont like it in SL and dont like it in Internationals. Hardly helps new comers to the game who may be watching it for the first time.
I don't like it either, however, if anything, it will help newcomers as from game to game, if they identify from the start a player they really like, they will be easier to recognise in a moment's glance from having the same number on their back each game. They might decide they like, say, the #4 for Australia, and every time he makes a good tackle or makes a linebreak, ect, they can see it's their new favourite, #4, doing it.

But still, yeah, I don't like it, but then again, I'm fairly old-fashioned in many ways!!

big hit!

Bench
Dont like it in SL and dont like it in Internationals. Hardly helps new comers to the game who may be watching it for the first time.

All FIFA and continental championships have squad numbers from 1 -23. Does it affect the popularity of those comps? If anything, it keeps the continuity and recognition of players for the whole tournament - for officials, for media, for supporters. And of course, there are merchandising aspects to it too.

There's nothing wrong with assigning a squad number to a player. It's just the Kangaroos haven't assigned numbers on positions. That's where they've f**ked it! I know other countries have done it correctly.

big hit!

Bench
Samoa
1 Joseph Suaalii
2 Brian To’o
3 Stephen Crichton
4 Izack Tago
5 Taylan May
6 Jarome Luai
7 Anthony Milford
8 Josh Aloiai
9 Danny Levi
10 Josh Papali’i
11 Kelma Tuilagi
12 Jaydn Su’A
13 Tyrone May
14 Fa’amanu Brown
15 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
16 Junior Paulo
17 Marty Taupau
18 Chanel Harris-Tevita
19 Spencer Leniu
20 Oregon Kaufusi
21 Luciano Leilua
22 Mat Feagai
23 Braden Hamlin-Uele
24 Royce Hunt

big hit!

Bench
Tonga
1 Tesi Niu
2 Sione Katoa
3 Will Penisini
4 Konrad Hurrell
5 Daniel Tupou
6 Junior Amone
7 Tui Lolohea
8 Siosiua Taukeiaho
9 Siliva Havili
10 Addin Fonua-Blake
11 Keaon Koloamatangi
12 Felise Kaufusi
13 Jason Taumalolo
14 Soni Luke
15 Tevita Tatola
16 Moeaki Fotuaika
17 Haumole Olakau’atu
18 Ben Murdoch-Masila
19 Tolu Koula
20 Moses Suli
21 David Fifita
22 Siosifa Talakai
23 Isaiya Katoa
24 William Hopoate

BadnMean

Juniors
Australia just going to confuse everyone with a pretentious numbering style.

Why does the tournament even allow it? Numbers aren't there to feed Australian players ego's, they are there to help fans (and refs) identify them. Why make it confusing for the poor French bloke or kid in Samoa trying to figure out what position the Aussies are playing/who they are? Making it harder to learn and follow the game. Dicks.

Knight76

Juniors
Stupid as it gets.

Anyone who has watched NRL casually and got an idea of the numbering, so lower numbers are skinny fast dudes, and bigger numbers are bigger yardage dudes then watch the world cup will be really scratching their heads.

Then, we will have teams with numbering style like Australia, playing against teams with the traditional 1-17.

Good luck figuring that out casuals.

And why are we copying anything the SL has been doing. The NRL is the premier RL competition in the world. Players want to get their jersey number for their position I assume, not some rando number given to them because they only recently debuted for Australia.

big hit!

Bench
And why are we copying anything the SL has been doing. The NRL is the premier RL competition in the world. Players want to get their jersey number for their position I assume, not some rando number given to them because they only recently debuted for Australia.

Kangaroos aren't copying anyone. They've gone off on their own to do this.

The other nations are assigning their squad numbers 1-17 based on positions for the likely first choice team, and 18-24 for reserves.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Stupid as it gets.

Anyone who has watched NRL casually and got an idea of the numbering, so lower numbers are skinny fast dudes, and bigger numbers are bigger yardage dudes then watch the world cup will be really scratching their heads.

Then, we will have teams with numbering style like Australia, playing against teams with the traditional 1-17.

Good luck figuring that out casuals.

Whilst I agree with you on the numbering I do believe we copied Magic Weekend from SL seemed to work ok.

Given that English RL has to compete with the EPL and a very strong rugby union they do quite well. How do we go up against AFL?

Knight76

Juniors
Whilst I agree with you on the numbering I do believe we copied Magic Weekend from SL seemed to work ok.

Given that English RL has to compete with the EPL and a very strong rugby union they do quite well. How do we go up against AFL?

Smashing them mate!

BadnMean

Juniors

Never heard of it.

Latest posts