What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth Reds NYC

tezzah

Juniors
Just a thought but how would the Perth Reds junior development players in the under 18s SG Ball grade go if they developed a team for the Toyota cup? Seems logical maybe not in 2011 but definitely 2012 if they can retain there current crop and recruit players from Eastern Australia?

roopy

Referee
I'd say a lot of kids who miss out on other NYC squads would try out for a non NRL option.
They are kids who are at the end of their school and either have to get in an NYC squad or give up the dream - and a lot of kids would move to WA for a last shot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In theory good idea but unless another side came in it would be inpractical. It would be a good way to start building the squad for 2013 though if we are to get a team. That's the frustrating thing about the way the NRL does business. Ideally they would have anounced the two expansion teams in 2010 and allowed them to be building during 2011&2012 so we hit the ground running in 2013. As it is no decision is likely until the end of 2011 which gives little time to assemble a squad, employ coaches, sort out the admin side and recruit fans. Compare our approach the the AFL's nd the lead in time they are giving their expansion.

BDGS

Bench
In theory good idea but unless another side came in it would be inpractical. It would be a good way to start building the squad for 2013 though if we are to get a team. That's the frustrating thing about the way the NRL does business. Ideally they would have anounced the two expansion teams in 2010 and allowed them to be building during 2011&2012 so we hit the ground running in 2013. As it is no decision is likely until the end of 2011 which gives little time to assemble a squad, employ coaches, sort out the admin side and recruit fans. Compare our approach the the AFL's nd the lead in time they are giving their expansion.

In theory it doesn't work because (and here is the part everyone forgets) the NYC is indentical to the NRL, therefore it is impossible to have a NYC team and not a NRL team.

On expansion - the NRL is far better then the AFL way of changing rules for new teams and giving them allowances, it's making it a unfair playing field to the other teams and its close to fraud.

The NRL makes areas that want a team come to them instead of plotting points on a map in places where the area doesn't want it. The Greater Western Sydney area went into shock when they heard they'll be getting a team. I can't wait to hear about their offices and home ground being trashed, oh wait their hoe grounds arent even in the greater western sydney area.

jim_57

Staff member
In theory it doesn't work because (and here is the part everyone forgets) the NYC is indentical to the NRL, therefore it is impossible to have a NYC team and not a NRL team.

On expansion - the NRL is far better then the AFL way of changing rules for new teams and giving them allowances, it's making it a unfair playing field to the other teams and its close to fraud.

The NRL makes areas that want a team come to them instead of plotting points on a map in places where the area doesn't want it. The Greater Western Sydney area went into shock when they heard they'll be getting a team. I can't wait to hear about their offices and home ground being trashed, oh wait their hoe grounds arent even in the greater western sydney area.

I think people are way too concerned about changing the NYC so it's not identical with the NRL, especially for just one year so two new teams can hit the ground running. If Bears and Reds get the nod next year they should definatley be fielding a Toyota Cup team the in 2012 no questions asked, if helps them establish their junior base early and unearth a few jems for their top squad in 2013.

Honestly does anyone think screwing the format of TC for one year is that bad for something that would obviously be for the better of the game? Personally I wouldn't give two sh!ts if now and then there wasn't a TC game to watch before First Grade and if it was different opposition, especially if I know the reasons behind it will help the game by giving a leg up in the establishment of two new clubs.

This shouldn't even be in question IMO.

Also I'd have no real problem with new teams being given a bit more under the SC for the first few years, it's not easy establishing new teams and the AFL know that. If the team sucks for a long time from the start it's a sports team with a tarnished refutation.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I think people are way too concerned about changing the NYC so it's not identical with the NRL, especially for just one year so two new teams can hit the ground running. If Bears and Reds get the nod next year they should definatley be fielding a Toyota Cup team the in 2012 no questions asked, if helps them establish their junior base early and unearth a few jems for their top squad in 2013.

Honestly does anyone think screwing the format of TC for one year is that bad for something that would obviously be for the better of the game? Personally I wouldn't give two sh!ts if now and then there wasn't a TC game to watch before First Grade and if it was different opposition, especially if I know the reasons behind it will help the game by giving a leg up in the establishment of two new clubs.

This shouldn't even be in question IMO.

Also I'd have no real problem with new teams being given a bit more under the SC for the first few years, it's not easy establishing new teams and the AFL know that. If the team sucks for a long time from the start it's a sports team with a tarnished refutation.

I'm not scared of changing the rules. I love the idea that if the Bears and Reds get the go ahead for them to field teams in the 2012 NYC. It's a fantastic idea. I was just noting that if we were to put them into the NYC we would have to change the rules. Something i am confortable doing.

Just when people talk about the NYC they always forget to add that part. So i am just making sure that part is added.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL realise that to make expansion succesful it takes alot of extra resources and some compromises, especially in the first few years. Compare to NRL where we only have one expansion team, the Storm, and see what has happened to them:
12 years on still no Victorian born and bred player
only in last couple of years have they had any impact on jnr development in Victoria
Had to rort the salary cap to be competitve due to having to pay inflated salaries to get players to move away from home
Still ltd Melbourne awareness due to restricted spending on marketing, no FTA etc
All that and they still require significant top ups from news ltd to remain viable

At least the AFL are up front about the realities of establishing their code in new areas.

BDGS

Bench
Yep, disadvantaging older and traditional teams for the sake of a crew clubs the area that has received the team didn't ask for is the best way to expand. Good work AFL, that's a fair and level paying field indeed.

In NRL your area actually has to want a team to get one, that's already one up on the AFL before you get Ito the discussion about already struggling teams on the AFL behind effectively strip of players so these new teams may experience a shred of success early on.

RL Tragic

Juniors
The Perth Reds would probably be better served joining the NSW Cup anyway in either 2011 or 2012 that way they could play both over age and 20s players rather than limiting themselves in the Toyota Cup. Some NRL clubs play a lot of their under 20s in the NSW Cup to prepare them for NRL already. Or at the very least why not look for a joint venture with a current club in the NSW Cup eg Wests so that they can start to prepare for an entry into the NRL.

BDGS

Bench
The Perth Reds would probably be better served joining the NSW Cup anyway in either 2011 or 2012 that way they could play both over age and 20s players rather than limiting themselves in the Toyota Cup. Some NRL clubs play a lot of their under 20s in the NSW Cup to prepare them for NRL already. Or at the very least why not look for a joint venture with a current club in the NSW Cup eg Wests so that they can start to prepare for an entry into the NRL.

WA Reds currently play in the SG Ball (Under 18s) competition and no other competition. This was done on the advise of the NRL.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Great to see WA in SG Ball comp and hopefully in years to come they will be in Matthews Cup, Ball, NYC, NSW Cup, NRL. It is expensive to run a NSW Cup team around 400k is the figure most clubs would say and then you add extra travel costs from WA so it certainly would rise but no more than an NYC team. Not sure too many current clubs would vote for a change in the current NYC format so by having a NSW Cup side in the next year or two it might just be another option to get players playing at a higher level before hopefully being granted an NRL licence or a Joint Venture with a current club to save costs which could then be carried on once you get the NRL licence for your 2nd tier players.

BDGS

Bench
Great to see WA in SG Ball comp and hopefully in years to come they will be in Matthews Cup, Ball, NYC, NSW Cup, NRL. It is expensive to run a NSW Cup team around 400k is the figure most clubs would say and then you add extra travel costs from WA so it certainly would rise but no more than an NYC team. Not sure too many current clubs would vote for a change in the current NYC format so by having a NSW Cup side in the next year or two it might just be another option to get players playing at a higher level before hopefully being granted an NRL licence or a Joint Venture with a current club to save costs which could then be carried on once you get the NRL licence for your 2nd tier players.

Good ideas imo but all that cost money and money is hard to get for Bids in regards to fielding teams, it may become easier when the announcement comes and everybody know exactly who are in and who are not.

Either way, the WA Reds Second tier players and player over the age limit for SG Ball play in the third best state comp in Australia over in Perth. Just another reason why the NRL needs a perth team. I'm am also hearing that in terms of junior numbers League is only 3% behind Union in numbers, and thats without a team. Lets beat union in a area where they had a head start.

The NRL needs the WA Reds.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Most certainly the WA Reds would be fantastic for the game. It would be great to see some of the Rugby League print media get behind the State Comp over there and give it some more exposure in the Eastern States to help the cause - Big League, Rugby League Week and even Rugby League News especially with the WA Reds SG Ball team in the comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh we do get forgotten by the RL media with it being all Eastern States based. Understandable I guess but frustrating none the less. RLW ran big features on the Bears, CQ and even Jets bids yet all we got was one small coloumn. I complained bitterley and even wrote and article for them but it never got published.