What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Jackson Appreciation

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I still miss think bloke, alot. Terrific player for a start, for Souths Brisbane, Canberra, Norths, Queensland and Australia. Jovial character as well, puts turkeys like Matthew Johns and Paul Harragon to shame (miss the old Brisbane Footy Show).

This thread is devoted to the late great Peter Jackson

Share...

Leagueguy

Juniors
I would like to see some highlights of his playing days and just joking round in his media work. I was too young to really appreciate him.

innsaneink

Referee
Seemed a top bloke, very funny and friendly, no way up himself at all, just natural and very very talented- a sad sad story too, unfortunately too bloody common in todays society.

He was a fantastic 5/8 and centre..

Also the greatest sideline commentator i've ever heard.

"Here comes the big train...Chooo choooooooooo" (Commentating on a Big Mal try circa 94)

In Laurie Daley's book he talks about an incident where Jacko was benched at halftime by Bob Fulton. By the time the rest of the team got back to the sheds he was blind drunk with a bunch of XXXX's around him, saying he'd played his last test for Australia (Vs GB in Melbourne 92) He was right too.

I got this Big League Video from 92..where he and Laurie host and talk about certain League events including the origin series of that year. In the first game Laurie was knocked out after he chased a missed Wishart goal-kick attempt into the in goal area, and hit his head on Jacko's hip knocking him out. Laurie was saying he didn't remember what happened...and Jacko goes "I'll tell you what happened, you've come through to try and put a big hit on me...and you've hit your head on the horseshoe I keep in my underpants.....ahh the ol horseshoe in the underpants trick..get's em everytime!!"

LOL what a guy

RIP Jacko..you're sorely missed, I can't believe it's almost been 10 years.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Was too young to really know much about him bar things like posted about by DiG, definitely a charactor, something the game sorely misses imo

rip jacko

Kid

Juniors
A sad story indeed. I think a lot of people on this site would be too young to remember too much about him. Was a very talented footy player with unfortunately some very personal problems that claimed his life in the end. He always managed to keep the happy face on in public though.
As has been said, RIP Jacko.

Wests is Best

Juniors
Legendary bloke. A damn fine player too. I used to supportthe bears before they got kicked out, and it was no coincidence that Norths finally became competetive when Jacko joined us in 1991. He was very clever. Who will ever forget what he did to poor old Steve Mavin in 1987

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Good thread, a guy like him deserves to be remembered. Beyond being a great footballer, he had charisma & wit and added a lot of colour to the game. I miss him too.

b&wdynamite

Juniors
His photo still hangs above the bar the the Pine Rivers Bears football club - one of only 2 internationals (great company with the picture of Bobby Lindner).

I remember when he passed how important that his wish was granted so have his ashes spread over Lang Park. Though if he was around today I am positive he would be campaigning to have a bigger and better statue of himself next to Wally.

f**k YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt i think of this? Jacko was so godamn awesome, love the guy, one of the great Queenslanders & played for my old club, pine rivers! go Jacko!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Awesome bloke, sad story and as someone pointed out, way to common in todays society.

How good would it be to have him on the footy show now, even when he was on 2ue with Hadley he was dyanmic.

I remember he once refered to Gary Belcher "as safe as a condom at the back", warren Boland almost pissed himself laughing.

Miss the bloke heaps, depression is a terrible thing, unlike other sicknesses, this can last a lifetime.

nqcowboy87

Bench
jacko is one of my favoruite players, my parents have been good friends with his wife siobhan for about 7 years now and ive been down to trheir house in sleepy old mission beach and i regualry play muck around touch with his two boys jim and ned, jims got pretty good skill too even though he is a soccer player:( , but thank the stars he is thinking of playing league next year, his daughter lucy is just like him she comes up with some funny stuff. plus they keep a trunk full of his stuff and i feel incredibly blessed that i can go through the old scrapbooks and see al his old magpies and rhinos jerseys, what a true queensland champ such a terrible terrible loss

nqcowboy87 said:
jacko is one of my favoruite players, my parents have been good friends with his wife siobhan for about 7 years now and ive been down to trheir house in sleepy old mission beach and i regualry play muck around touch with his two boys jim and ned, jims got pretty good skill too even though he is a soccer player:( , but thank the stars he is thinking of playing league next year, his daughter lucy is just like him she comes up with some funny stuff. plus they keep a trunk full of his stuff and i feel incredibly blessed that i can go through the old scrapbooks and see al his old magpies and rhinos jerseys, what a true queensland champ such a terrible terrible loss

That's awesome dude...I remember his wife n kids walking onto Lang Park to accept his place in the QLD all-time greats side. I Think it was last year?

Scott

Bench
Bobby DIGital said:
He was a fantastic 5/8 and centre..

Also the greatest sideline commentator i've ever heard.

"Here comes the big train...Chooo choooooooooo" (Commentating on a Big Mal try circa 94)

In Laurie Daley's book he talks about an incident where Jacko was benched at halftime by Bob Fulton. By the time the rest of the team got back to the sheds he was blind drunk with a bunch of XXXX's around him, saying he'd played his last test for Australia (Vs GB in Melbourne 92) He was right too.

I got this Big League Video from 92..where he and Laurie host and talk about certain League events including the origin series of that year. In the first game Laurie was knocked out after he chased a missed Wishart goal-kick attempt into the in goal area, and hit his head on Jacko's hip knocking him out. Laurie was saying he didn't remember what happened...and Jacko goes "I'll tell you what happened, you've come through to try and put a big hit on me...and you've hit your head on the horseshoe I keep in my underpants.....ahh the ol horseshoe in the underpants trick..get's em everytime!!"

LOL what a guy

RIP Jacko..you're sorely missed, I can't believe it's almost been 10 years.

I can't really say it any better myself.

Tragic shame what happened to him.

His commentry on the sideline for us viewers in NZ was a lasting memory of my childhood.

Loved watching him play for Norths in the 1991 semi's as well.

Philby

Juniors
I met him in 94 or 95 when he came down with Ray Hadley (Before Hadley became a pompus one eyed prick) to do a sports auction dinner. He was the funniest and probably still is the funniest guy i have met. He would have run rings around the current bunch of turkeys on the footy show. After the dinner he continued on partying with everyone untill the early hours of the morning. He was just a top bloke. He was also an amazing footballer. A big mobile centre/fiveight who was just an amazin talent.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Great stories guys, just the sort of stuff that I was looking for. Having never met the bloke I feel a have a better insight into who this man was...

Nikki

Coach
Never really got to watch any of his games but I will always remember him for his larrikanism. Thats why I just couldnt understand how it was depression that claimed his life. I have used this quote way to many times over the past couple of weeks but "tears of a clown" sums it up. Such a great loss to not only the Rugby League community but society in general.

Thomas

First Grade
He went to my school and had his wedding at the chapel there.

We all went down and gave him a warcry as he left the chapel with his wife. He was so stoked. Came over and thanked us all.

He is sorely missed

Latest posts