What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Jackson Appreciation

The Brain

Juniors
He was a regular customer of Mine at Engadine for years ,great Funny and friendly...It was no surprise to locals when he passed.
For you younger people .Drugs dont solve any thing.

Canard

Immortal
Growing up in QLD you couldn't help but idolise a someone like Jacko.

He was part of that amazing group of talent from Souths Magpies that went on to star in the "Sydney League".

His time at the Broncos was largely disappointing after a great stint in Canberra, but he brought it all back in his final stint playing at Norths.

He would have been the ideal host for a Footy Show style TV program today with real wit and humour, he would have made someone like Sam Newman put his tail between his legs and run away.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I met him at a pub after a Raiders game & he was a top bloke without an ego who just seemed like he had no problems - little did we know. He was funny without being forced & as others have said, would have been a natural for a sports show on tv. From what people say a good example of someone where the highs were high but the lows were very low. ( especially in his later years ). I remember the 2UE newsreader telling the story about his passing & he was struggling to get the words out. I was driving the car & it was one of those moments you never forget - it was like someone punched you in the stomach and everything was happening in slow motion.

Last edited:
The last player ever to be sent off playing for Australia. Not the best of records but still. Barely remember him as a player to be fair.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I met him at a pub after a Raiders game & he was a top bloke without an ego who just seemed like he had no problems - little did we know. He was funny without being forced & as others have said, would have been a natural for a sports show on tv. From what people say a good example of someone where the highs were high but the lows were very low. ( especially in his later years ). I remember the 2UE newsreader telling the story about his passing & he was struggling to get the words out. I was driving the car & it was one of those moments you never forget - it was like someone punched you in the stomach and everything was happening in slow motion.

I recall that too.

So shocked. 15 years come and gone and you are still missed Jacko.

undertaker

Coach
Some classic footage of Jacko here (the year before he died):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIHDPXwtaA

PMSL at the "it's like putting your old fella into a pencil sharpener" line:lol::lol::lol:. Could you imagine the outrage from the PC ppl today if they tried that gag he did with feeding the baby with beer?

P.S. Sorry, I didn't see that this link had been already posted above

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Good thread Desert Qlder, and thanks for posting those YouTube links. I'll find time to watch them.

I don't know much about him but the way he went he sounded like a tortured soul.

Great footy player, R.I.P. Jacko.

Plumplechook

Juniors
Top bloke and a major talent no doubt - but for mine it was all downhill after 'Heavenly Creatures'. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was overrated and not looking forward to 'The Hobbit'.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
I don't know a great deal about his story, I had no idea about the issues from his school days until it was posted earlier. Is it suggested that led to his depression? Terribly sad story if so and just reinforces that pedo's are the lowest of the many low rungs in society.

Top bloke - but for mine it was all downhill after 'Heavenly Creatures'. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was overrated and not looking forward to 'The Hobbit'.

Well done. You made the lame joke we all knew some idiot would have to make eventually.

Amozzie

Juniors
A wonderful player who always lifted in origin.

his finest effort was when Wally was ruled out of origin 1 in 1988. Jacko played 5/8 & had a blinder & should have been man of the match.

his first season with the Raiders in '87 was also a mark of his class. His efforts prior to this at Souths Magpies were also a standout.

Vanfan

Juniors
Peter Jackson''s class was evident well before he played for Brisbane Souths. I first saw him play when he was just 18, playing in an U19's match for Runaway Bay against the Nerang Roosters on the Gold Coast. He then came off the bench in the A-grade. Many people that day knew that they had seen something special!

In a non-playing context, I have a friend who was on the jury of a particularly gruesome rape case, and Jacko was the policeman who looked after the jury members. She commented that he was just amazing, trying to lighten the atmosphere for the jury members. He also was instrumental in getting several of the accused's mates, who were trying to intimidate the jury, removed from the courtroom.

This act had far more meaning for my friend in light of what later came to light about his experience as a teenage schoolboy.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He was a great player but seemed an even better bloke, he was a genuinely funny bloke as well without all the forced crap. He was a massive loss for the game.