What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter O'Sullivan

CMUX

1) It's about the image of the game as a whole. Todd Carney brings the game into disrepute on a bi-monthly basis. His actions drive fans away from the game and/or stop people from becoming fans .. I'm especially looking towards the female population, many of whom would consider his actions to be pig-headed and abhorrent.

So getting pissed brings the game into disrepute? Those Dragons better stay away from the glass house!

2) The Roosters are looking after the Roosters .. they are not looking after Todd Carney. Someone with a problem as serious as his does not deal with it by doing exactly what he always does in his everyday routine. After his latest indiscretion, he is now apparently healthy enough to know he won't drink for the rest of the season (like it's that easy) in the space of 2 weeks. Coincidentally, I'm sure, 2 weeks was also the time it took for him to get over his injury.

You miss the point. He should not have missed a single second of football for getting drunk. Anthony Watts is the woman beater... nah Carney is the devil!!!

3) I can guarantee you that if I had a complete deadbeat at my club that I would not want him there ... I agree that there is something to be said for taking a troubled person under your wing and attempting to cure their problems .. but the Roosters have NEVER wanted to do that. Their agreement was "You are not allowed to drink a drop of alcohol during the season, but you can do what you want in the off-season." That is nothing to do with rehabilitation, and all about the Roosters looking after themselves.

That is pure garbage. Carney was off the drink until the very moment he stepped into the Australian camp and he, along with the rest of the fringe players went on a bender.

That must be the roosters fault though of course.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
And why was he stood down?

Yeah Carney does have a criminal conviction which he was punished by the courts for. Last I checked getting pissed wasn’t illegal.
You made the comparison between Smith and Carney. Not me. Carney has a history which is far more serious and illustrious.

You're right, getting pissed wasn't illegal but given his sworn statements in front of the court, breaking club policy, lying to his club and doing so in a very public place doesn't exactly leave a good image for the NRL, the Roosters or the player in question. Carney's actions prior to this incident have earnt this scrutiny. Nothing else.

El Diablo

Post Whore
mnf_logo_normal.JPG

TripleM_NRL Triple M NRL

David Gallop (con't): "The findings against (O'Sullivan) are serious and cannot be ignored.” #Nrl

24 minutes ago https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#

mnf_logo_normal.JPG

TripleM_NRL Triple M NRL

David Gallop: "We expect the Roosters to discuss with the #NRL (O'Sullivan's) future once they have digested the report" (con't)

25 minutes ago https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#

mnf_logo_normal.JPG

TripleM_NRL Triple M NRL

#NRL makes public it's disturbance that Roosters have instantly announced former Storm recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan won't be sacked

Cliffhanger

Coach
Put simply, the Roosters couldn't give a flying f*ck about the real effect on Todd Carney's life .. they just want to win games, come hell or high water.
I agree with you on this point. Roosters should have sent him to rehab as soon as he came back from the Kangaroo tour where it was common knowledge he was getting pissed frequently.

I don't think we're worse to our players than any other club though, all teams tend to treat players like commodoties in one way or another, Carney is just targetted more.

Binge drinking is glorified in Rugby League, just like it is in Australian society in general. Todd Carney isn't the only player with major alcoholism issues.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Some more drivel.

What “last chances” are you referring to? Lighting a fart on fire, getting pissed? The only one that was a proper misdemeanour was the DUI and although accidental it’s still against the law and IMO his licence should have been stripped.
Wait a second .. suddenly this has turned into Carney being a normal player with normal rules applying to him, and his misdemeanours have to be actual crimes??

He signed with the Roosters on the explicit understanding that he would not drink during the season at all ... both Brian Smith and Todd Carney were explicit about that when he first signed.

As such, his drinking during the season breaks the agreement he made with the club, regardless of whether it was a real crime or not.

Which party is the on not sticking to its word? Or are both parties in that boat?

So getting pissed brings the game into disrepute? Those Dragons better stay away from the glass house!

You miss the point. He should not have missed a single second of football for getting drunk. Anthony Watts is the woman beater... nah Carney is the devil!!!

That is pure garbage. Carney was off the drink until the very moment he stepped into the Australian camp and he, along with the rest of the fringe players went on a bender.

That must be the roosters fault though of course.
His actions bring the game into disrepute when he has had countless chances, he has history at multiple clubs, he has a criminal record from alcohol-related activity both in Canberra and Sydney, he is the current Dally M Medal Winner and thus an NRL poster-boy, he has vowed on numerous occasions to NOT drink at all due to the effect on himself, his teammates etc .. the list goes on.

He should definitely miss football .. for one, he is breaching the conditions he promised to meet, and for another, as stated above, when you have a problem like his, virtually all experts believe that getting AWAY from your normal routine is the best way to rehabilitate, not doing the same thing as always.

Agree that Watts' behaviour has been disgraceful, and the Roosters would be right to cut him loose.

I am not suggested that Carney's alcoholism is the fault of the Roosters in any way .. I am suggesting that curing his addiction does not come about by saying "You cannot drink during the season, but you can in the off-season." That behaviour is simply the Roosters looking after their own on-field interests!

redandgreenduck

Juniors
And if Carney was sacked, you wouldn't give 2 sh*ts. Why should a club jeopradise their chances of success to satisfy judgemental fans of other clubs like you? Roosters fans know he did nothing worthy of the sack and that he'd play if he's ready, which I believe he is. I would rather keep him and have people like you attack my club than sack him and put ourselves in a rebuilding state for another 4 years
you have rebuilt.....lol@drunks

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
I agree with you on this point. Roosters should have sent him to rehab as soon as he came back from the Kangaroo tour where it was common knowledge he was getting pissed frequently.

I don't think we're worse to our players than any other club though, all teams tend to treat players like commodoties in one way or another, Carney is just targetted more.

Binge drinking is glorified in Rugby League, just like it is in Australian society in general. Todd Carney isn't the only player with major alcoholism issues.
Certainly agree, mate .. I am, like you, confident that most other clubs are also in it to look after themselves first, their players second. That's how the business world works.

Arguably the issue is simply bigger because of the profile and the history.

And yes, I also agree that Australia's general attitude towards alcoholism has never been appropriate .. but I speak as a tee-totaller!

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
P.S. I apologise for taking this thread off-track and discussing Carney when it's about Peter O'Sullivan, lol.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/roosters/story-e6frf9if-1226054648084

David Gallop urges Roosters to re-think over recruiting boss

Russell Gould
May 12, 2011 12:51PM

THE Sydney Roosters have been urged to take a closer look at the NRL report into the Melbourne Storm salary cap affair after ruling out sacking their recruitment officer Peter OSullivan.

The report from NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert, released yesterday, detailed O'Sullivan's early involvement in the Storm.

Schubert claimed O'Sullivan had failed to include in some player contracts the money paid for third-party agreements, and deliberately concealed the true amount paid to two players.

It was also reported O'Sullivan was completely aware of a practice from 2005 to 2007 where "unsigned letters of offer that recorded the full remuneration to be paid to players with significant player remuneration omitted from registered NRL contracts''.

Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce said yesterday that O'Sullivan would remain employed by the club because the report made no recommendations to do otherwise.

But NRL boss David Gallop said today the findings were serious and implored the Roosters not to ignore them.

He said the report disclosed serious and persistent past misconduct by O'Sullivan and it would seem he had not told the Roosters of that at the time they employed him.

"We expect the Roosters to discuss with the NRL this employee's future once they have digested the report," Gallop said.

"The findings against him are serious and cannot be ignored."

Cliffhanger

Coach
If Gallop wanted him sacked it should have been a reccomendation in the report. He shouldn't urge the Roosters to make the call. Downright geniused.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Gallop didn't write the report though

it's also a pissweak excuse to use. why does it have to say it specifically after what was found against him?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
At least with Canberra, they persisted with Carney until they told him "You are on your last chance" .. and when he broke the rules again, he was gone.

well he did have over 30 misdeamoners at the raiders before they sacked him.... dunno how he didnt get sacked for running off after that car crash leaving his teamate in the car.....:crazy:

it would be nice if the NRL had the balls to get rid of the scum in our game, they've questioned the role of certain player managers but are too pissweak to do anything about it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Roosters give Carney 2 chances, and Canberra fans get on the high horse. Dumbest fans in Rugby League.

super_coach

First Grade
The chooks are are a class act, they would keep Hitler on as CEO if they thought it would give them advantage. They should have been chopped years ago, they offer the NRL nothing, yet they seem to run the NRL