What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Peters: Pressure on Kearney (Souths related)

4/5/2011 1:31 PM
Peter Peters

Sportal

Chris Sandow won't be the only one under pressure when he pulls on that poisoned chalice better known as the Parramatta No.7 jersey.
Sandow's signing is a terrific coup for the Eels and a massive blunder for the basket case that is South Sydney, but it means Stephen Kearney must start to deliver on all the hype and promise.
The affable Kiwi was hailed as some sort of messiah after coming in to replace Daniel Anderson, but is it all a myth?

The Eels are about as potent as porridge and will be struggling to avoid the wooden spoon on the evidence presented thus far.
And I think there has to be a big question mark on the coach.
Did anyone at Parramatta bother to have a really good look at Kearney's CV before pulling the switch and hanging Anderson?
Kearney was pinched from Melbourne where he was 2IC to Craig Bellamy.
While Bellamy is without doubt the main man, I hear Michael Maguire was the real brains among the back-up staff.
Sure, Kearney coached New Zealand to a couple of successes but that was with the master puppeteer Wayne Bennett pulling the strings in the background.
And don't forget Kearney came in after a very fine Kiwi coach in Brian McLennan, who put very good structures in place.
I've also got a big question mark on Kearney's ability to pick players after running my eye over the New Zealand team to meet Australia on Friday night.
If Simon Mannering is a better Test centre than Steve Matai then I'm a skinny Chinaman instead of a fat Greek.
Kearney has brushed the fiery Matai and aren't the Aussie centres loving the fact they won't wake up all black and blue on Saturday morning.
The Parramatta boss comes across as a good bloke and he was a very good player.
But my mail from New Zealand is they are still waiting to see if he's the coach everyone think he is.
The jury is still out in a big way.
But the jury is in at Redfern: they are officially a rabble.
Fancy CEO Shane Richardson coming out and declaring Sandow had 'met his Alan Bond' after signing a lucrative deal with the Eels.
And then Russell Crowe jumps on Twitter to announce Sandow left for $550k a year (which is not the right figure from what I'm hearing).
Funny how there wasn't a word of complaint out of South Sydney when the big money was flying around for Greg Inglis.
Anyway, we don't have to worry about Souths or Parra this week as we sift through an anorexic round of football.
How the NRL allowed the Broncos-Melbourne blockbuster to be played 24 hours after the Test match is beyond me.
Anyway, I think the Broncos will win and so will Gold Coast, the Dragons and Manly.
Don't forget to download me on Sportal's NRL Unleashed - I am well worth a listen.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/peter-peters-pressure-on-kearney-121115

jbl31649

Juniors
Is para patient enough for Kearney. He is trying to build foundations, but this means changing the teams way. They have shown in the past that they are not so!

If they think Sandow is going to bring them a GF in 2012 they are fools, build a team with a five year goal.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Pfffft - back in 1981, Peter Peters claimed that he would walk backwards from Wollongong in thongs if Parramatta won the premiership with Kevn Stevens in the side.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Stephen Kearney must start to deliver on all the hype and promise.
The affable Kiwi was hailed as some sort of messiah after coming in to replace Daniel Anderson, but is it all a myth?
The Eels are about as potent as porridge and will be struggling to avoid the wooden spoon on the evidence presented thus far.
Their fans are already talking about Sandow as if he TOO is the next messiah. Wouldn't be surprised too see the same fans all cursing the fact they blew big $$ 8 rounds into next season. We'll wait and see though

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Well i hate to see this pressure on anyone, but he has to prove his worth now. I remember the pressure put on him early on in his career about being souths next big thing, now there touting him as parr's Saviour......oh dear.

BranVan3000

Coach
From what I've seen this year, Kearney has taken a lot of concepts that Bellamy has taught him but has failed to really get it to work. For instance, cheap props who can be developed into strong hard running players. He did the cheap props part but not the second part. It seems like Parramatta are trying to become well disciplined and be a structured, well drilled defensive team - yet there seems to be just something missing in the equation and neither defence or attack is working.

jbl31649

Juniors
From what I've seen this year, Kearney has taken a lot of concepts that Bellamy has taught him but has failed to really get it to work. For instance, cheap props who can be developed into strong hard running players. He did the cheap props part but not the second part. It seems like Parramatta are trying to become well disciplined and be a structured, well drilled defensive team - yet there seems to be just something missing in the equation and neither defence or attack is working.

Could be attitude, players feeling like their to good to do a lot of tackling, poor communication etc basic fundementals.

Souths I believe haven't had that problem. Your team has done everything right but 2. Going the full 80 and more control in the attacking 20. Who knows if you figure what to do with Sutton this could be a blessing in disguise.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Could be attitude, players feeling like their to good to do a lot of tackling, poor communication etc basic fundementals.

Souths I believe haven't had that problem. Your team has done everything right but 2. Going the full 80 and more control in the attacking 20. Who knows if you figure what to do with Sutton this could be a blessing in disguise.

Every team has its issues....bar st George perhaps.

Your right about the attacking 20, just seem to get lost when down there. Every game they play you feel they need to make a bust on the half way line to get a try otherwise they will blotch it one way or another.

jbl31649

Juniors
Every team has its issues....bar st George perhaps.

Your right about the attacking 20, just seem to get lost when down there. Every game they play you feel they need to make a bust on the half way line to get a try otherwise they will blotch it one way or another.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they bunnies should do that as the game plan. Start the attack from the 40-50m instead of the 10-20m.

Would be interesting to see!

Latest posts