What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Peters: Souths must reward fans

27/7/2011 11:58 AM
Peter Peters

Sportal

Like most league-loving people, I was right behind South Sydney and George Piggins when 80,000 took to the streets to demand the Rabbitohs' return to the NRL a decade ago.
People power won out and eventually the famous myrtle green and cardinal red were back in the comp where they belonged.
But I've got to say the Bunnies have given those fans who fought for their re-admission very little to cheer about in the 10 seasons since.
As the old saying goes, they promise the world and deliver an atlas.
South Sydney like to call themselves the pride of the league but those days are long gone.
Since coming back into the comp in 2002, Souths have made the finals just once.
That was in 2007 when they snuck into seventh spot and were smashed by Manly in week one of the play-offs.
In the 235 games they have played between 2002 and now, they have won just 74 matches.
That's an appalling success rate of just 31.5 per cent.
You'd be struggling to find a club with a worse record than that.
It's a damning statistic.
Fans are entitled to be dirty and asking questions.
And so is high profile owner Russell Crowe, who would have to give the club's performances a big thumbs down.
We heard plenty out of Redfern over summer that this was going to be their year.
But unless there is a miracle over the next six weeks, this will be the ninth season in 10 that the Rabbitohs won't be seen past the first week in September.
Sure, they've had their fair share of injuries but so have other clubs.
The team to play the Dragons on Sunday contains four current or past Queensland Origin players - Wesser, Inglis, Crocker and Ross - and two Kiwi international in Pettybourne and Luke.
Then there are experienced NRL players like Sutton, Merritt and Sandow to complement those mentioned above.
It's not the worst looking line-up going around.
But they make the same elementary mistakes week after week yet nothing seems to be done to fix the problem.
Perhaps Michael Maguire is the answer after all.
I know I criticised his appointment initially but I have since heard good things about him.
I am prepared to say I got it wrong and maybe this bloke can conjure up something in 2012 and have the Bunnies fighting hard for a top four spot.
The long-suffering fans - now 40 years without a premiership and counting - certainly deserve some success.
Anyway, there will be no joy for Souths fans this weekend when they take on the wounded Dragons down in the Gong.
Your other Round 21 winners will be: Brisbane, Manly, the Roosters, North Queensland, the Warriors, Newcastle and Melbourne.
Speak next week friends.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/peter-peters-souths-must-reward-fans-131734

Its not very complimentary,and he would need to be a contortionist,to comply to what I said.He has no right to even breathe the name of the mighty Rabbits!!

KKW

Juniors
In the 235 games they have played between 2002 and now, they have won just 74 matches.
That's an appalling success rate of just 31.5 per cent.

LOL@5ouffs.

themacemaceman

Juniors
I'd like to see how other clubs would have gone who lost all their players and had to re-build after 2 years out of the comp. Also lost some juniours who would have come through our ranks at the time and gone elsewhere. How many top 8 appearances have the raiders and sharks had in comparison I wonder?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Even the Tigers, yes they had that GF win but other than that they've barely been in the finals the last decade and a half.

And back on topic:
I know I criticised his appointment initially but I have since heard good things about him.
So the f**kwit opened his mouth and gave his opinion BEFORE hearing anything about him. Wanker.

KKW

Juniors
I'd like to see how other clubs would have gone who lost all their players and had to re-build after 2 years out of the comp. Also lost some juniours who would have come through our ranks at the time and gone elsewhere. How many top 8 appearances have the raiders and sharks had in comparison I wonder?

Manly were in a similar position to souffs after the NE JV folded. Chalk and cheese since then. 31.5% over 10 years is shithouse in anyone's books.

The sharks are the laughing stock of rugby league ask mr angry that's why he is angry he dont have (20) premierships like souths actually they have (0) premierships and heaps of wooden spoons lol.

one-eyed rabbitoh.

Attachments

• imagesCA82Z61D.jpg
    imagesCA82Z61D.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
  • imagesCAAJ76X5.jpg
    imagesCAAJ76X5.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1
  • imagesCAL1MBWL.jpg
    imagesCAL1MBWL.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1
  • imagesCAN2DEP0.jpg
    imagesCAN2DEP0.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1
You have NFI do you. Manly 1sts squad was waaay worse than souffs after the JV ended.

Absolute bullshit.You need to stay off the crack.To compare Manly after a jv to Souths being out of the comp for 2 years is like chalk and cheese.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i think it is a lazy, un-researched article..

all he's done is had a read of the lol@souffs thread and copied the last few pages..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Still cannot post a picture properly.

hahahahaha.

South Sydney wooden spoon winners 1945, 1946, 1962, 1975, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2006

Cronulla-Sutherland wooden spoon winners 1967, 1969.

Facts are not your friend, clearly a computer is not either.

I am not Angry because I follow the sharks.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
And had the 2002 wooden spoon taken by the dogs due to a breach. True Wooden spooners were Souths.