What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PETER STERLING: Gun sons shine bright

Raudonikis

Juniors
PETER STERLING: Gun sons shine bright

BY PETER STERLING
30/07/2009 4:00:00 AM

IT does make me feel old, but I get great delight in watching the next generation from my generation making their own mark in the game.

Saturday night's clash between the Eels and Bulldogs was almost like a trip down memory lane. Quite nostalgic to hear the surnames of Mortimer, Reddy and Grothe involved in the same movement only to be thwarted by a combination of Morris and Goodwin.

Obviously some very good genes have been passed on to a number of players excelling in today's competition from fathers who displayed their wares in the 70s and 80s.

At the moment the name Mortimer is on everyone's lips with Daniel bursting onto the scene and looking completely at home in his eight appearances in the top grade.

He must surely be bemused that his turning out in a Parramatta jersey has created such a ruckus. I'm sure that he has no idea how strange it is for those of us who followed the game when his dad and uncles were the toast of Belmore.

Some things in rugby league have always been synonymous and the Mortimer name, and the Canterbury club have been one of them.

I find it a delightful irony that an area that has caused angst for the Eels over a number of years is now being filled by a Mortimer.

It will be even more entertaining when he eventually dons the No.7 jersey, which I'm certain he is destined to do with the blue and golds.

Daniel is not the only exciting youngster carrying on the family name.

Brett and Josh Morris are in sensational form for their respective clubs and the twins could easily have both debuted for NSW this season.

While they have definitely inherited the speed of "Slippery" I can only assume their mum was quite tall.
Their four-pointer strike rate is quite remarkable and those who have had a flutter on them being dual first tryscorers over a weekend have continued to clean up.

Dragon Brett is currently better than one a game this season. His brace against the Warriors gave him 17 tries from 16 matches.

Not to be outdone, Bulldog Josh is 13 from 13 and he's been a major contributor in turning last year's wooden spooners into one of this year's favourites.

There'll be no title or even finals football for Mitchell Pearce, but he has easily been the shining light in a dismal Roosters campaign.

With an Origin appearance already under his belt, the junior "Junior" has already had a rapid rise to the elite level. Playing for a club that has struggled all season was never going to push his cause for another sky-blue jersey, but his weekly form has been first class.

Father Wayne still rates as one of the most dedicated and committed footballers I have ever seen and Mitchell's work ethic on the paddock is very similar.

I don't think father would mind me saying that son exhibits a higher skill level, which adds up to a pretty impressive package.

With all due respect to my old teammate Eric Grothe, work rate wasn't high on his list, but what an awesome and freakish talent he was.

The "Guru" boasted a combination of pace and power rarely seen.

If not hindered by constant injuries, I'm sure that he would now be rated as the best winger the game has ever seen. Many still rank him that highly.

That reputation has put plenty of pressure on Eric jnr over the years but like Eric snr, it's never affected his laid-back nature.

In fact, the acorn did not fall very far from the tree. The current Eel is a mirror image of his dad both on and off the field.

When his mind is on the job, he is one of the most devastating ball carriers in the NRL. However, he is even more comfortable away from the game, especially when strumming his trusty guitar.

On Eric's inside, Joel Reddy is having his best season for Parramatta but could be excused for being no relation to "Rocket Rod".

Like the Mortimer situation, it is unusual for me to watch a St George legend help guide the Eels as part of their training staff.

In the late 1970s, Rocket was the bane of Parramatta.

He was invariably at his niggling best against the likes of Price, Hilditch and co, and his controversial performance in the grand final replay of 1977 will long live in the memory of the blue-and-gold faithful.

To see him behind Daniel Anderson in the coach's box still takes some getting used to, but Joel has made the Reddy name much more palatable in the western suburbs these days.

Joel is also aggressive but is a stylish centre who has a great sense of positional play and is an excellent reader in defence.

I've written before that I believe fans of our game enjoy the sense of continuity when they see surnames they are familiar with arrive in first grade.

Apart from those I've mentioned, there are a number of current players who remind me of former good times.
I toured with both Steve Rogers and Craig Young and watched "Lord" Ted Goodwin and Robert Finch starring for the Dragons. Canberra hooker Jay Hoffman was an underrated player, as was Dogs five-eighth Garry Hughes. I even remember Des Kimmorley running around with Lakes United in the Newcastle competition.

These surnames are again being carried with great distinction.

I'd like to think that one day I might even get to see a third generation.

Source

Last edited:

MRJUCY

Juniors
Hayne is the son of a former player & related to another even if he doesn't have the same surname.

btaag

Juniors
Manoa Thompson (Haynes father) was an explosive player for souths in the early 90's. You can see where he gets his speed and skill. Maybe the links to Terry Hill has added some x factor :)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Joey has a kid, dunno if hes playing yet though. So, shall we sign Buster up now or see how he goes first in the NYC?