What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can have pathways without a team. Look at NT and Tas in AFL. 30+ players despite not team. But having pathways does not mean you should have a team, it must be a big enough market to be financially viable. So it is not chicken and egg, it is somewhere in between.
That is why Perth Bears makes so much sense. Perth is a massive market and Bears still have their territory for players. Only way either option can work is together.
and how much is afl investing in those 2 states to run those elite programs? Nrlwa get around $700k a year from nrl lol. 3 development officers for the whole state, 4 staff. Crappy Offices stuck under a stand at hbf park,
Places like SA, NT get significantly less. nrl funding for growth is a joke.
Perth or Christchurch bears only works if NS don’t own the club. Anything else is a disaster waiting to happen. probably why Vlandys is pushing it lol.

Iamback

Coach
You can have pathways without a team. Look at NT and Tas in AFL. 30+ players despite not team. But having pathways does not mean you should have a team, it must be a big enough market to be financially viable. So it is not chicken and egg, it is somewhere in between.
That is why Perth Bears makes so much sense. Perth is a massive market and Bears still have their territory for players. Only way either option can work is together.

It makes sense to have the Bears name with Team 18

Perth Red

Post Whore
The brand exists, deal with it.... its a boon when you need to play away, at home in perth it wont be any different than being the reds pirates or pumas
If you don’t understand why perth won’t take to a sydney club playing games in perth but for all intents and purposes still being a Sydney club I can’t help you.

change the name, perth owned license and min ten games in perth and we’ll be all over it. Anything else and parochial WA is just going to laugh at it as they mock how east coast centric the sport remains. Look at how melbourne has adopted Storm, that’s what we need in perth. That wouldnt happen with a ns Bears owned club playing in perth.

alas vlandys Is so nsw myopic this is exactly what he’ll probably think is the answer for WA lol

MugaB

Coach
If you don’t understand why perth won’t take to a sydney club playing games in perth but for all intents and purposes still being a Sydney club I can’t help you.

change the name, perth owned license and min ten games in perth and we’ll be all over it. Anything else and parochial WA is just going to laugh at it as they mock how east coast centric the sport remains. Look at how melbourne has adopted Storm, that’s what we need in perth. That would pnt happen with a ns Bears owned club playing in perth.

alas vlandys Is so nsw myopic this is exactly what he’ll probably think is the answer for WA lol
Absolute Bullshit... youll take whatever is given..
Act as if you have a choice... the bears are the only reason perth is even in the conversation...
The Bears only one drawback is where they are based (not in NSW), none of of the other issues you cry about matters or exists outside of your own brain.. it why you harp on about PVL so much, coz you think we all treat WA as 4th world... if you had a comp running like Qcup or Digitel cup then maybe youd get some respect there.. but a few greenshoots here and there over the years dont amount to an NRL licence, yes the city should hold games, but it doesn't produce talent as much as the other 16 clubs (even Melbourne produces talent scouted in SC/Cqld)
Perth on its own would be a dead end

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolute Bullshit... youll take whatever is given..
Act as if you have a choice... the bears are the only reason perth is even in the conversation...
Their only one drawback is where they are based, none of of the other issues you cry about matters or exists outside of your own brain
Nope, it will in all likelihood fail. There is motivation for NS to make it fail, WA won’t support with great gusto a North Sydney club. It’s setting it up for failure.
we do have a choice, there is a perth consortium right now working on a bid. bears didnt come into conversation until middle of this year, perth has been in the conversation for a decade lol. Surprise surprise it was Vlandys who brought them into the perth conversation. Like I said Sydney myopic.

MugaB

Coach
Nope, it will in all likelihood fail. There is motivation for NS to make it fail, WA won’t support with great gusto a North Sydney club. It’s setting it up for failure.
we do have a choice, there is a perth consortium right now working on a bid. bears didnt come into conversation until middle of this year, perth has been in the conversation for a decade lol. Surprise surprise it was Vlandys who brought them into the perth conversation. Like I said Sydney myopic.
With 9 teams in the comp, you'd better f**kn hope he is myopic about it, you were SO on the bandwagon a few months back until the ratio of home games got reported from a possible 1-4... now its back to poo pooing every possible expansion bid, including your own WA bears...

Myopic is staring you in the mirror PR.. this perth only owned and started wont and doesn't exist... bears are your only chance

Perth Red

Post Whore
With 9 teams in the comp, you'd better f**kn hope he is myopic about it, you were SO on the bandwagon a few months back until the ratio of home games got reported from a possible 1-4... now its back to poo pooing every possible expansion bid, including your own WA bears...
like I’ve always said I’m not against a WA Bears if done right. There’s lots of upside to a partnership. my attitude changed when Moore came out and said the non negotiables are ns own the club , no brand change and they want 4 games in Sydney. At that point they lost my support for the idea. Those ar e three key areas that will set this possible expansion club on a very short trip to disaster. And like I said we have other options, all Bears give us that we are missing is a elite pathway in a rl state, we could get that with a partnership with any nsw cup or qrl team

its arguably better for Sydney in long run if bears stay a feeder club and roosters fully take over that region.

anyway of you want to contInue the bears debate I’ll see you in the expansion thread where it belongs otherwise I’ll get accused again of only talking about perth lol

back to pistol Pete

BunniesMan

Immortal
The Swans showed relocation can work if given enough time. Similarly, the Bears could become a powerhouse in WA. If V'landys has the visionary ability he could make this happen. If 4 home games in Sydney is too much then make it the 3 big rivalry games: Norths v Souths, Norths v Easts, and Norths v Manly. The rest in Perth and there you have it. Common sense solution.

I am a V'landys cynic but if he saw that through I'd become a fan of his.

jim_57

Staff member
The Swans showed relocation can work if given enough time. Similarly, the Bears could become a powerhouse in WA. If V'landys has the visionary ability he could make this happen. If 4 home games in Sydney is too much then make it the 3 big rivalry games: Norths v Souths, Norths v Easts, and Norths v Manly. The rest in Perth and there you have it. Common sense solution.

The Swans don’t play 3 home games in Melbourne. Hard to buy in as a fan in Perth if it’s obvious Norths would take any opportunity or excuse to fully relocate back to NSW. It needs to be one game maximum in Sydney, Sydney fans have plenty of away games they can attend.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Swans don’t play 3 home games in Melbourne. Hard to buy in as a fan in Perth if it’s obvious Norths would take any opportunity or excuse to fully relocate back to NSW. It needs to be one game maximum in Sydney, Sydney fans have plenty of away games they can attend.
And the Melbourne club doesnt own the license!

Colk

First Grade

A compromise could be schedule two games against Manly every year and play them both at NSO.

Play all your other away games in Sydney (maybe exclude Penrith due to distance) at SFS..

Storm80

Juniors
Any team wants to relocate to perth or any other city - all home games have to be played in that city. That’s what relocation means.

Carlton wanted to do this in Sydney prior to the swans - play all away games in Sydney. Never got up cause it’s a f**king stupid idea that wouldn’t have worked, all it would have done was make money for Carlton.

Thankfully, South Melbourne agreed (was forced) to move to Sydney on full time basis. 40 years later it’s a powerhouse of the competition which Sydney people embrace and old South fans support cause the club embraces and honours its roots in South Melbourne.

North Sydney can EAD. They picked to stay with ARL and Packer and got screwed in doing so. Then merged with Manly and got screwed in doing so. They are irrelevant now, a romanic ideal of a bygone era. Newtown actually has a better claim to coming back into the comp than NS.

Perth, and any city, with a new team deserves a full time club that embraces and plays for its city. This arrogant Sydney centric attitude and telling Perth people “it’s share a team with NS of f**k off” is hilarious.

Its seriously like I’m living in the 80’s all over again and reliving the same dumb ass mistakes NSWRL and Sydney clubs made back then.

No one gives a shit about Cronulla outside the shire. They aren’t producing juniors like the western suburbs are either. Rip the band aid off and shift them to Perth full time like the Swans were years ago.

In 40 years you’ll have 4m Western Australians supporting them and, when they winning and if the club honours the past, you’ll still have diehard shire fans supporting them.

Storm80

Juniors
How did he fail on rule changes ?
He successfully got rid of the blight of wrestling which nobody else could do

and when teams were cheating he adapted the six again so it wouldn’t work

captains challenge has been excellent

try again
Have you not watched a Penrith game?

They are awesome at wrestling and holding the players down in the ruck. So much so, as a storm fan, I’m in awe of how they control the ruck in much the same fashion Storm did prior to the 6 again rule.

Funny how I’m not whinging about Penrith tactics like every other muppet did for 15 years about the Storm. I see what Penrith do and I admire and get envious of their great work in defence. They are just better at it than any other club at the moment.

To suggest the wrestle is gone from the game is absolute horse shit.

The 6 again rule and captains challenge are about the only blight on the game I see these days.

And I preferred two refs. You get defensive sides offside all the time now and the ref don’t see it or won’t call it unless it happens on the try line.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the game was played prior to covid and I’d change the rules back asap if I could.

Storm80

Juniors
State of the art stadium 8km away and people are advocating for more games at an oval dump, so Sydney rugby league lol
It’s astounding how stupid Sydney centric league fans are.

In the 80’s I had to travel from Robina to Tweed Heads to see the seagulls. Absolute nightmare to get there over the two lane bridge just before the ground and 27km away. Went all the time. Went to bears games at Carrara and lions games at the Gabba later on 85km away.

Storm started in Melbourne went to almost every game. 42km from door to door. Went to Collingwood games same thing at MCG, and geelong (115km).

You build a world class stadium in moore park and they can’t even get St George to move into it hahaha it’s 17km ffs.

3 stadiums in Sydney would work if NRL just stuck to their guns. Fans don’t even turn up now and the team is in their suburb. They just watch it on tv. So why try and get them to the game?

Just move all clubs to one of the three closest world class stadiums and be done with it, die hards will go. Others will watch on TV. Finals are when the fans turn up anyway, and they ain’t played (or shouldn’t) be played at suburban grounds.

What was it I was ranting on about a few weeks back… oh yeah NRL have always lacked leadership, good governance and vision… yadda yadda yadda

Last edited: