What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

TheRam

Coach
If anyone is interested in who and what we have gotten as our new fearless leader here is a link on a bio of the man. Interesting read. A bit lengthy, but worth it I think. He does seem very impressive. Dare I say it, but he may just be the right man for the job and the best we have had by a country mile since Arko and Quayle. I feel this is the last chance RL will have to get it right and push back on the AFL. If we don't stem the tide now in 10 years it will be all over and AFL will be the undisputed major sport of Australia. Anyway here's hoping.

https://www.kythera-family.net/en/people/notable-kytherians/peter-vlandys-22219

Generalzod

Immortal
Funny enougn Nic
If anyone is interested in who and what we have gotten as our new fearless leader here is a link on a bio of the man. Interesting read. A bit lengthy, but worth it I think. He does seem very impressive. Dare I say it, but he may just be the right man for the job and the best we have had by a country mile since Arko and Quayle. I feel this is the last chance RL will have to get it right and push back on the AFL. If we don't stem the tide now in 10 years it will be all over and AFL will be the undisputed major sport of Australia. Anyway here's hoping.

Nick Politis is also has Kytherian heritage, so is George Miller Mad Max fame..

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Impressive results at increasing revenue at racing NSW, problem is revenue isn't really the NRL's problem anymore. Its lack of vision, strategy and planning for where it wants to be in years to come. The game has more money now than it could have dreamed of 10 years ago but isnt going anywhere.

Also News Ltd seem to love him which makes me nervous!

bazza

Referee
I don't see any achievements in that article that would point to him being able to help out the NRL in a positive way

Frailty

First Grade
The fact that the media is so onboard with him is concerning in my opinion.

I think the position of ARLC Chairman is overblown and exaggerated. They are not responsible for the day to day running - that responsibility with the NRL CEO. Much like the Board of Directors of a company do not run it, but have a CEO run it and report to them.

The main responsibilities of the ARLC is to have a clear direction for the CEO to work towards. It's hard to argue that the NRL Strategy 2018-2022 has not progressed in it's implementation (though it never specifically detailed the targets in the public document). One criticism could be that the strategy didn't really aim at anything too significant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact that the media is so onboard with him is concerning in my opinion.

I think the position of ARLC Chairman is overblown and exaggerated. They are not responsible for the day to day running - that responsibility with the NRL CEO. Much like the Board of Directors of a company do not run it, but have a CEO run it and report to them.

The main responsibilities of the ARLC is to have a clear direction for the CEO to work towards. It's hard to argue that the NRL Strategy 2018-2022 has not progressed in it's implementation (though it never specifically detailed the targets in the public document). One criticism could be that the strategy didn't really aim at anything too significant.

The strategy and its measurements were about as visionary as Greenberg!

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/nrl-strategic-plan-2018-2022.pdf

Frailty

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
I absolutely agree that the Strategy was not bold enough. That falls on all of the ARLC members, not just the chairman.

Though the measurements of the identified goals are vague in the public document - so I suspect there were specific measures in an internal form of the document.

I suspect their dismal failure in meeting the 2013-2018 strategy published goals made them shy away this time from actually setting anything!

Perth Red

Post Whore
He can’t be worse then Beattie

He could be, if he goes back to a very sydney insular strategy he could be much much worse for the e game long term. BEattie didn't do anything bad, just didn't do anything good either, other than demand an expansion strategy paper.

TheRam

Coach
I absolutely agree that the Strategy was not bold enough. That falls on all of the ARLC members, not just the chairman.

Though the measurements of the identified goals are vague in the public document - so I suspect there were specific measures in an internal form of the document.

I think you are not seeing or missing something in your own statements/argument. That is the point, we seem to now have a Chairman that will formulate a strategy/plan that WILL be ambitious and bold and from all reports this guy makes everyone around him extremely accountable or they are gone.

That is why apparently, one of the first things he did when appointed he rang Greenberg and told him that it is now time for him to shine and spoke to him at length. Translation either you succeed in the goals I set you or we won't be re-signing your useless arse for another two years.

But lets just wait and see if all the talk is true. But the hype is big, so we will see. I just have a much better feeling about this one, which I haven't had since the Super League War.

beave

Coach
He can’t be worse then Beattie

Beattie wasn’t that bad mate. Sure he made some gaffes on live TV, but at least he came across that he gave a f**k and was trying. Expansion was never going to happen immediately under his initial reign but he put it out there that it needed to happen.

The clubs getting $13mil each at the start of this tv deal kinda ruined any chance for expansion immediately, now that they are getting a surplus at the end of each year, I think it will come back on the cards but the next TV deal is critcal imo, with Ten/CBS showing their cards and wanting a slice of our pie, we need to play them and 9 off each other for max $$$ which will hopefully allow 2 new teams. One new team isn’t going to help the broadcast deal.

taipan

Referee
Impressive results at increasing revenue at racing NSW, problem is revenue isn't really the NRL's problem anymore. Its lack of vision, strategy and planning for where it wants to be in years to come. The game has more money now than it could have dreamed of 10 years ago but isnt going anywhere.

Also News Ltd seem to love him which makes me nervous!

If you've got money behind you ,you can back your vision.

President Trump

Juniors

He should stop buying his suits at Lowes and try a tailor.

siv

First Grade
Hope he takes control

Sacks Greenburg and anyone involved in the MRC review and judiciary process

They have gone past their use by date

Start fresh

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The trick will be to unite the other NRL clubs..

If Perth is an expansion option..

To be succesfull it has to be a $10m a year grant bonus over the $13m normal grant for at least 15 years...

That's $150m that comes from the other nrl club coffers essentially...

Can vlandys get the other 16 to agree to that ?

Saxon

Bench
i just hope he can manage the game for the whole game, the clubs, players and fans at all levels.

My big fear is that he will run it like Racing NSW where the real stakeholders now are the gambling industry.