What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
Outside of these forums, there's no such discussion about AFL either. The biggest thing I hear these days is about how rugby union is a mess and dying. Other codes just exist in the typical Sydney ether and rank below some nose beers, property prices and the beach as our obsessions.
Well when gws came in there was a lot of chest beating about afl taking over and how the panthers tigers and eels stood no chance

how Star signing Izzy folau was going to get all the islander boys if the west playing afl

then there was an attempt for afl to use birchgrove oval by kicking soccer out but then when threatened with an audit of their junior figures they back off

maybe not a lot of people in Sydney talk about afl because the sport peaked ten years ago and now people only watch if the swans make the grand final

here’s a fairly recent vomit inducing article

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
what's Melbourne becoming the biggest city have to do with their ingrained hatred of Sydney and Rugby League?

someone I know compared Canberra to Pyongyang the other day. I lol'ed
Yet this forum is full of posters that mention their hatred of Melbourne (look back at the last 20 posts) and AFL at every opportunity. Do you not see the irony?

I have rarely met anyone in Melbourne who hates RL. As I have posted before, if I am wearing my Storm gear on the train after a game, many AFL fans leaving the MCG will ask how Storm went. I have not heard anyone use the term ‘bumsniffers‘ in 20 years. I have never heard a Victorian make up witty names like ‘fumbleball’, ‘AFL’ or ‘AwFL’ like you very clever Sydneysiders. People are often surprised that I like RL better than RU, but mostly, RL, or RU, or soccer is simply not on anyone’s mind here. And most Victorian love Sydney. Most would not want to live there because it is expensive and hard to get around (as everyone here keep saying, after all, it is the reason why NRL fans don’t travel to far away places like Cronulla, Manly or Penrith).

I would suggest that you have it the wrong way around, just like PVL, who is obsessed and mentions Melbourne/Victoria and AFLat every opportunity, yet no one from the AFL ever bags or even mentions RL or Sydney. Who do you reckon has the chip on their shoulder?

footy75

Bench
I would suggest that you have it the wrong way around, just like PVL, who is obsessed and mentions Melbourne/Victoria and AFLat every opportunity, yet no one from the AFL ever bags or even mentions RL or Sydney. Who do you reckon has the chip on their shoulder?

hahaha yep, it's comical.

Vlandy´s makes himself look like a dick doing this. You expect it from internet nobodies with their issues but a professional in his position, it's just cringeworthy.

mongoose

Coach
Yet this forum is full of posters that mention their hatred of Melbourne (look back at the last 20 posts) and AFL at every opportunity. Do you not see the irony?

I have rarely met anyone in Melbourne who hates RL. As I have posted before, if I am wearing my Storm gear on the train after a game, many AFL fans leaving the MCG will ask how Storm went. I have not heard anyone use the term ‘bumsniffers‘ in 20 years. I have never heard a Victorian make up witty names like ‘fumbleball’, ‘AFL’ or ‘AwFL’ like you very clever Sydneysiders. People are often surprised that I like RL better than RU, but mostly, RL, or RU, or soccer is simply not on anyone’s mind here. And most Victorian love Sydney. Most would not want to live there because it is expensive and hard to get around (as everyone here keep saying, after all, it is the reason why NRL fans don’t travel to far away places like Cronulla, Manly or Penrith).

except the Swans have more members than any NRL club in Sydney and much bigger sponsorship so I think the city of Sydney has paid their respects to AFL. The Storm have only just recently got a very solid membership base (still far lower than any AFL club in Melbourne) and basically has to fight for scraps of sponsors and any space in the News... melbourne still seems like a city that doesn't care or want a Rugby League team.

I am pro-expansion into new markets but lets be honest. The Storm doesn't do great considering they have a city of 5 million all to themselves....

Canard

Immortal
Well when gws came in there was a lot of chest beating about afl taking over and how the panthers tigers and eels stood no chance

how Star signing Izzy folau was going to get all the islander boys if the west playing afl

then there was an attempt for afl to use birchgrove oval by kicking soccer out but then when threatened with an audit of their junior figures they back off

maybe not a lot of people in Sydney talk about afl because the sport peaked ten years ago and now people only watch if the swans make the grand final

here’s a fairly recent vomit inducing article

But that is quite literally the propaganda arm of the AFL, thats no different to reading about how Union is the "national sport" of Georgia in a ARU website.

Most of the angst about AFL in Western Sydney was really from dyed in the wool Rugby League types like Phil Gould or Roy Masters, who I don't think seriously believed it to be "taking over" but were using it as leverage to get more done for grassroots. (which I support)

The reality is, that a bit of disruption and competition, is a good thing in almost all instances.

Wb1234

Referee
But that is quite literally the propaganda arm of the AFL, thats no different to reading about how Union is the "national sport" of Georgia in a ARU website.

Most of the angst about AFL in Western Sydney was really from dyed in the wool Rugby League types like Phil Gould or Roy Masters, who I don't think seriously believed it to be "taking over" but were using it as leverage to get more done for grassroots. (which I support)

The reality is, that a bit of disruption and competition, is a good thing in almost all instances.
That’s a pretty good post

Perth Red

Post Whore
except the Swans have more members than any NRL club in Sydney and much bigger sponsorship so I think the city of Sydney has paid their respects to AFL. The Storm have only just recently got a very solid membership base (still far lower than any AFL club in Melbourne) and basically has to fight for scraps of sponsors and any space in the News... melbourne still seems like a city that doesn't care or want a Rugby League team.

I am pro-expansion into new markets but lets be honest. The Storm doesn't do great considering they have a city of 5 million all to themselves....
tbf if the NRL invested as much in RL in Victoria as AFL has in NSW then we may now see a very different landscape for the Storm.
Even given the lack of investment in the game in that state by the ARLC Storm are still in the top 5, top in some, in most club metrics in the NRL so hardly doing a bad job in enemy territory!

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
tbf if the NRL invested as much in RL in Victoria as AFL has in NSW then we may now see a very different landscape for the Storm.
Even given the lack of investment in the game in that state by the ARLC Storm are still in the top 5, top in some, in most club metrics in the NRL so hardly doing a bad job in enemy territory!

The Storm choosing to invest in QLD is better for the on field product, They have a winning team

Canard

Immortal

I've been living here for about a decade and a half now, and in my experience (anecdotal I know) most Melburnians treat the Storm as their "2nd team", and have a least a passing interest in their games especially around finals time.

It's completely unrealistic to compare them to the larger AFL clubs in terms of members and crowds, as they will never be that, and frankly not many other codes or teams in the world will ever be.

Ironically, the prevailing attitude on LU about how the Storm are constantly protected and molycoddled by the NRL is completely the opposite in Melbourne, most locals believe that the NRL is treats them poorly and has rigged the system against them.

MugaB

Coach
I've been living here for about a decade and a half now, and in my experience (anecdotal I know) most Melburnians treat the Storm as their "2nd team", and have a least a passing interest in their games especially around finals time.

It's completely unrealistic to compare them to the larger AFL clubs in terms of members and crowds, as they will never be that, and frankly not many other codes or teams in the world will ever be.

Ironically, the prevailing attitude on LU about how the Storm are constantly protected and molycoddled by the NRL is completely the opposite in Melbourne, most locals believe that the NRL is treats them poorly and has rigged the system against them.
Hahahaha thats hilarious, you know they got busted cheating the salary cap twice.... i feel Victorians must have poor memories... i know plenty of eels fans who haven't forgotten

The_Wookie

Bench
Hahahaha thats hilarious, you know they got busted cheating the salary cap twice.... i feel Victorians must have poor memories... i know plenty of eels fans who haven't forgotten

Thas the thing with membership and crowd growth - theres no institutional memory for new supporters.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Storm choosing to invest in QLD is better for the on field product, They have a winning team
I'm not talking about Storm investment, their job is to win games.
I'm talking about ARLC investment, their job is grow the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stupid comments by V'landys but you seem to have taken them as a personal assault on you and your AFL culture.
aw bless.
The mans an idiot, any self respecting fan over 12 years old should be embarrassed by our leadership at moments like that.

Latest posts