What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petero Civoniceva

Chips Rafferty

Juniors
What a player!
I really hope last night's match has proved his position as the game's premier prop. Played the entire first 40 minutes and ended up with over 200 metres, baring in mind its his 3rd match in 7 days.

RABK

Referee
Petero is one of my favourite players. Incredible work rate and so consitently breaks the first tackle or crashes over the advantage line for 10+ metres. Built like a brick.

I remember O'Meley running at him yelling 'come on' as he took his first ever Origin hit up - Petero dropped the shoulder into him and Shrek went down like a sack of sh*t.

Another one - Ryles in Origin around 2003 running out on the fringes the whole game - Petero went out wide hunting him and the next hit up Ryles took Petero just dropped low and shoulder charged Ryles knocking him over. From memory Ryles was out of the game for 18 months with the Injury sustained in that tackle.

Mr Saab

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
Petero is one of my favourite players. Incredible work rate and so consitently breaks the first tackle or crashes over the advantage line for 10+ metres. Built like a brick.

I remember O'Meley running at him yelling 'come on' as he took his first ever Origin hit up - Petero dropped the shoulder into him and Shrek went down like a sack of sh*t.

Another one - Ryles in Origin around 2003 running out on the fringes the whole game - Petero went out wide hunting him and the next hit up Ryles took Petero just dropped low and shoulder charged Ryles knocking him over. From memory Ryles was out of the game for 18 months with the Injury sustained in that tackle.

Those incidents are all true and all sum up Petero.
My fav though is when Betham went to hit him with a high tackle and Betham broke his arm on his head.
He doesnt get the raps the likes of Asotasi does, but he is a legend for the Broncos.
2nd most appearances for Australia as a forward...fair effort.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
I know Asotasi is good, but not in the league as Petro or Webcke yet. He will likely get there but not right now.

Petro, now that Webcke is retired, is the benchmark for forwards.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Petro is one of the last great forwards left in our game,he runs it up slow motion at times but still gains yards and can absolutely smash players in defence.

Ridders

Coach
Mr Saab said:
He doesnt get the raps the likes of Asotasi does, but he is a legend for the Broncos.

Well considering he's the QLD and Australian incumbent prop, i'd say he does get a fair amount of raps. Great player, up there with price in terms of class and consistency

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Petro has to be great considering he has Carlaw beside him. I can't believe so called experts are talking Carlaw up as being the ideal replacement for Webcke and his form has been great. What a load.

Petro has taken on the extra workload and done it easily. Awesome effort. Shame for him his efforts aren't getting the Broncos over the line more often.

Hatzy

Juniors
He may be good but Steve Price is better.

For the second consecutive week he has had over 240 metres.

Petero, Asotasi and Price. Top 3 in my books.

Big Pete

Referee
Fair call Hatzy, Price is IMO the best prop in the game.

On Petero, he certainly surprises me with his stats, even when he looks ordinary he still outplays the majority of our forwards, his work rate is phenominal.

He's definatly in the Top 5 if not Top 3.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I think Petro and Price stand alone now that Webcke is gone.

I know Bailey, Kite, Ryles, Mason, Asotasi etc are all good props, but Price and Petro are rarely injured, don't have a chance to refresh their bodies and never have a bad game. Consistently for the past 7-8 years these two have nearly always performed which is something no other prop can claim. Bailey would be the closest, but unfortunately he's spent as much time off the field as on it so it's hard to get a read on what he can do if required to play 3+ consecutive seasons without missing a match.

Iafeta

Referee
Price is the cornerstone of the Warriors, he's been the best buy in the club's history.

Phenomenal athlete, highly underrated and hugely forgotten by the Australian selectors. I sincerely hope his desire for Stacey Jones to play for the Kiwis in the 2005 Tri Nations and the work he put into motivating him to do so has not cost him his Australian jumper.

Cranky

Juniors
I think Petero is the best. Brisbane have had the premier prop in the game since 1992 when you think about it.....fair effort.

I reckon Antonio Kafusi may one day be regarded as the number one prop.

Coaster

Bench
And to think, Petro wanted to be a Center, and was distraught that Bennett told him he would be in the front row.

Latest posts