What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould signs for 4 more years

MaxPower

Juniors
Never made the top 4? They came 4th in 2007. Stop spewing misinformation to support your opinions (not referring to you Pomoz).

Only two seasons did the Warriors miss the finals under Cleary. His first, where they only missed the top 8 by 2 points, after being deducted 4 points for things that occurred before he became head coach. The second time was 2009, with the pre-season death of Sonny Fai.

As far as spotting and developing talent goes, no nyc team has had more players progress to first grade than the Warriors.

Big Mick

Referee
AW: Did the fans ever waver in their support for what you were doing? Did anyone ever express their concerns?
PG: I've never actually heard any criticism or negativity. Any negativity comes from people in the media who want to stir up that type of sentiment. The vast majority of intelligent people have been supportive and well-informed on where we are going. And they're now starting to see what it's all about.

Anyone else get from that comment - "Buzz is a dickhead & I don't listen to him anyway".

Kilkenny

Coach
For reasons I don't quite understand, there is sadly, an element amongst our own supporters who are anti Gus Gould.

I think it is great news Gus has signed on till 2017 to hopefully finish the job he has begun.

roofromoz

First Grade
Great news. As he said, it's an unfinished job and he wants to stick around.

I seem to recall one of the first things Gus did in 2011 was give Elliott the arse, and since then the deadwood has slowly but surely been cleared. it's been a tough and rough journey at times since, but things are looking to start rosier. This year may very well be a watershed year for the club. Exciting times ahead.

maple_69

Bench
Cleary certainly deserves some credit but the biggest thing for mine has been changing the culture at the club in a number of ways. The on field culture is much better with last years team of nuffys working hard for each other, not missing tackles and giving away dumb penalties. All the talent in the world and we wouldn't have been a chance the way we bumbled around under Elliott. The ambition is there now with the club going after tye best players not the scraps and often getting them. Lastly the no dickhead culture is paying dividends. With issue after issue for many clubs in the off season there hasnt been one bit of negative news out of Penrith maybe since Jennings was screwing up.

All great signs of a long term rebuild. Compare this to the false dawn that was 2010 and none of this was going for us.

Great job by Gus and Cleary.

franklin2323

Immortal
For reasons I don't quite understand, there is sadly, an element amongst our own supporters who are anti Gus Gould.

I think it is great news Gus has signed on till 2017 to hopefully finish the job he has begun.

He was very critical of us during his time after he left the club. I wasn't sold on him straight away as he had no Sports administration experience. Credit to him he has got managers under him to handle stuff while he is more of an adviser. Lets hope this continues to work into the future.

roofromoz

First Grade
Yeah, he was critical (including that now infamous wooden spoon prediction in 2003), but looking back that was mainly his role as a paid columnist. It may have been harsh reading considering he was a first grade captain and also premiership winning coach in the past at Penrith, but just like those, that's in the past too...

franklin2323

Immortal
It is only my opinion, but I thought he played well enough to earn a contract and is a great depth hooker while the young players continue to develop. Whether he s a good signing depends on how much his contract was for. This is all subjective, you or I will never agree on who the best players are, or with the coaches selections. In the end, it is all about results. As you say, he never got the Warriors in the top 4, but he did make the semi's 2 or 3 years in a row and he got the team to a grand final. The club also become strong in all three grades under his guidance, something that seems is being repeated at the Panthers.

Again, it is only subjective, but the players he inherited from Elliot seemed to play better football under Cleary. For some of the journeyman like Clint Newton and crowd favourite Ciraldo, that's not saying much I know.

Thanks for the other example of Cleary dropping Price. It sort of underlines my point about making the big calls. He can do that, but can he spot and develop talent?

Would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything.

Most Orginal post wasn't just based at Cleary. Roycie, Jim Jones etc the list goes on. Gould is surrounded by mates. All are more then qualified in ther roles but IF we fall behind somewhere. The call needs to be made hopefully he will do that

Pomoz

Bench
Would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything.

Most Orginal post wasn't just based at Cleary. Roycie, Jim Jones etc the list goes on. Gould is surrounded by mates. All are more then qualified in ther roles but IF we fall behind somewhere. The call needs to be made hopefully he will do that

Agree on that. I have to say, I'm the most optimistic about the Panthers than I ever have been. The reason is not because I think we will win a Premiership, although that would be nice, but because I think they are building foundations for sustained success, not a win every 15 years. Long term foundations, for me at least, beat one-off wins and years of mediocrity every time.

maple_69

Bench
A winning footy club makes for a much more engaged fan base also. We could win another title in 2015 grab a few bandwagoners and then go back to normal, but 10 years of finals footy without a premiership and you'll see a lot more people proud to support the club, play and work for the club.

Pomoz

Bench
We could win another title in 2015 grab a few bandwagoners and then go back to normal
Which is pretty much what we have had so far. I think you are spot on with your analysis. 10 years of finals footy will help build a strong and resolute fan base provided we engage with the fans and the community, something we have failed to do previously.

Big Mick

Referee
Nathan Taylor ‏@NateTaylor87 3h
.@PenrithPanthers has announced that in 2014 it will be cash positive, & subsequently will not need a cash injection from the licensed club

soc123_au

Staff member
That is quite a turnaround in under 3 years. Gus & the team have done a great job. Long may it continue.

MaxPower

Juniors
darkbloom will be disappointed. There is fewer and fewer things for him to whinge about each season.

maple_69

Bench
Amazing news. I wonder how on earth they've managed that. NRL grant has obviously gone up as well as memberships being way up (but cheaper). We'd also be injecting more cash into the NSW Cup so it would have to be sponsors or improved administration. Either way that would make us one of a very few clubs in the league that are cash positive.

MaxPower

Juniors
We have been getting a lot more media attention recently. Sponsors love that shit.

I wonder how merchandise sales are going.

darkbloom

Juniors
Amazing news. I wonder how on earth they've managed that. NRL grant has obviously gone up as well as memberships being way up (but cheaper). We'd also be injecting more cash into the NSW Cup so it would have to be sponsors or improved administration. Either way that would make us one of a very few clubs in the league that are cash positive.

This will make very interesting reading in the 2013 Annual Report - if it shows at all.

In the last AR - 2012 - it showed that Sponsorship revenue was up considerably but servicing costs were up by about the same amount as the revenue increase making the net return about the same.

They must have restructured something to achieve this - though it hasn't been achieved because the article said they will be cash positive in 2014 which has another 9 months to go in the Panthers financial year - November to October.

My guess, sold off some of the Penrith land or rented it with all proceeds going to football club.

If they have done this it is simply smoke and mirrors and quite deceptive.

If not, then they must have done a fantastic job and should be congratulated.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Latest posts