What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Goulds take on the issue

emjaycee

Coach
CrazyEel said:
Just so I understand this, just what are you guys saying is so different in the way the situation was handled between Parra and Newcastle, Penrith and Canberra? From what I can see those other clubs/coaches seem to be handling the situation without any great dramas. Why didn't Gould include them in his rant?

Although the situation at each club wasnt handled that differently, one of the differences that in my opinion caused some drama was Fitzgerald's continued "we dont terminate a contract at parramatta". That is just utter crap in this day and age.
Smithy knew that no matter how the team and/or he performed he was never going to be told to pack up early. That leads to complacency no matter what the morals of the individual and in this case, it lead to player complacency and eventual complacency from BS. He obviously got to the point where the crap being thrown wasnt worth it anymore. If someone doesnt perform then they should be worried about being sacked, even if it doesnt actually happen. Regardless of job, industry or position, lack of performance and results should be sackable.

bartman

Immortal
MJC, just asking an opinion... do you think things would have been smoother even with the same timings etc if the club had have promoted from within, ie appointed Taylor for 2007 instead of Hagan?

Fitzy was on record saying Taylor was a first grade standard coach after his team had won the PL grand final. Might some of the complacency not arisen had there been a seemless and internal pathway outlined for the coaching responsibilities?

Agree with you about 9:15pm Friday... bring it on.

CrazyEel

Bench
emjaycee said:
Although the situation at each club wasnt handled that differently, one of the differences that in my opinion caused some drama was Fitzgerald's continued "we dont terminate a contract at parramatta". That is just utter crap in this day and age.
Smithy knew that no matter how the team and/or he performed he was never going to be told to pack up early. That leads to complacency no matter what the morals of the individual and in this case, it lead to player complacency and eventual complacency from BS. He obviously got to the point where the crap being thrown wasnt worth it anymore. If someone doesnt perform then they should be worried about being sacked, even if it doesnt actually happen. Regardless of job, industry or position, lack of performance and results should be sackable.
Don't see ANY difference at all, the same rhetoric applies equally to the other clubs yet they seem to have no drama so I ask again, why did Gould make no mention of those clubs in his rant.

emjaycee

Coach
bartman said:
MJC, just asking an opinion... do you think things would have been smoother even with the same timings etc if the club had have promoted from within, ie appointed Taylor for 2007 instead of Hagan?

Bartman, absolutely. Smith could have transitioned Taylor throughout this year into taking more responsibility week by week. I am not sure exactly what an assistant coach does (we didnt have them in the under 6's back in the 70's) but preparing game plans, leading video sessions, even fronting the media on occassion would be the types of things that I think could be done in an ever increasing way. The latter part of the season would see Taylor pretty much as THE coach with Smith more of the mentor before packing his bags on Oct 2nd with GF's 4, Premiers 1 on his CV.

I once worked at a company that brought in a new CEO while the existing one was there and although he was never announced as the new CEO we all new it was on the cards when he started making press announcements, presenting to staff etc, all while the incumbent sat in the same room. It sure made it seemless when the incumbent moved on and staff who didnt like the new guy had time to think about their futures over the ensuing 12 months.

emjaycee

Coach
CrazyEel said:
Don't see ANY difference at all, the same rhetoric applies equally to the other clubs yet they seem to have no drama so I ask again, why did Gould make no mention of those clubs in his rant.

1) Because they are winning games they are expected to win
2) Because Phil Gould doesnt hate them
:D :D :D

bartman

Immortal
emjaycee said:
Bartman, absolutely. Smith could have transitioned Taylor throughout this year into taking more responsibility week by week. I am not sure exactly what an assistant coach does (we didnt have them in the under 6's back in the 70's) but preparing game plans, leading video sessions, even fronting the media on occassion would be the types of things that I think could be done in an ever increasing way. The latter part of the season would see Taylor pretty much as THE coach with Smith more of the mentor before packing his bags on Oct 2nd with GF's 4, Premiers 1 on his CV.

I once worked at a company that brought in a new CEO while the existing one was there and although he was never announced as the new CEO we all new it was on the cards when he started making press announcements, presenting to staff etc, all while the incumbent sat in the same room. It sure made it seemless when the incumbent moved on and staff who didnt like the new guy had time to think about their futures over the ensuing 12 months.

Yeah, transition management is a delicate thing. I don't think we got it right this season, but the potential for this to be right was definitely there.

Fair enough if in the end the Board thought they'd prefer to bring in Hagan instead of Taylor, that's their choice and he is a more experienced first grade coach. But it seemed like they didn't have a firm transition plan when they told Brian Smith his fate late last year. And so an opportunity was possibly lost.

strider

Post Whore
fish eel said:
Phil Gould has been one thing on this - consistant.
yeah - his comments about us have been consistant .... but his logic clashes with the 3 clubs going through the same situation that seem to be coping quite ok with it

fish eel

Immortal
strider said:
yeah - his comments about us have been consistant .... but his logic clashes with the 3 clubs going through the same situation that seem to be coping quite ok with it

Of course, but at Parramatta, he got on the record early, has stayed solid to his view and has been proven right

Unreal V

Juniors
Every time I start to think that this guy is a real wanker he surprises me with his insight into a players mind. Yes the arguements about post 30 June are all valid but the striking point is that if you give a player a reason to fail he will take it and thats just what the board did; the players took it and so did Brian Smith.

PB

Bench
strider said:

I don't think it is completly the same.

I think the landscape at Newcastle is very different. If you believe everything you read Andrew Johns runs the training sessions, and when he is on the ground they play well. When he is 100% fit they play better.

The Panthers aren't playing that flash either

The only club similar is the Raiders, and they are like yo-yo's (they let in 70 points in about the second week of the comp remember.).

I think in our situation, the process was so set in stone, that the moment it was de-railed ever so slightly, we were screwed.

strider

Post Whore
PB said:
I don't think it is completly the same.

I think the landscape at Newcastle is very different. If you believe everything you read Andrew Johns runs the training sessions, and when he is on the ground they play well. When he is 100% fit they play better.

The Panthers aren't playing that flash either

The only club similar is the Raiders, and they are like yo-yo's (they let in 70 points in about the second week of the comp remember.).

I think in our situation, the process was so set in stone, that the moment it was de-railed ever so slightly, we were screwed.

yeah - i guess i agree .... newcastle is andrew johns (i think i posted it somewhere else too) - hagan is not as great a loss

penrith and canberra .... hmmm - canberra are still over achieving - alot of ppl called them as the wooden spooners - they did start poorly but they r playing ok now ..... penrith - well they put 40 odd on us :(

PB said:

Well said.
The players have been comfortable. Things have been exactly the same for 10 years. Now all of a sudden they find themselves out of that comfort zone and having to face change.
Some of our guys have only ever had one coach as well.

El Diablo

Post Whore
and Bee Sting criticised Parra yet approves of Smith walking out on yet another contract leaving a club high and dry

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wow.... how long did you spend looking for this 3 year old thread?

a minute

i read the article online earlier today and then looked for it here by putting "stabbed" in search and only looking in the Parra forum

not too many results for 2006 came up