What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Graham - A winger or center.

Kris_man

Bench
and yeah,. woodgers, that Phil Graham try should have been the matchwinner, but we stuffed up and Luke Rooney scored that heaps long-range try down Joel Monaghan's side of the field (NOT Phil's side). then they got another try to Paul Whatuira, i think it was, right in the final minute, just to rub salt in the wound. I think i'm correct in saying, too, that this was Bulgarelli's debut match.

woodgers

Bench
correct Kris man is was his debut match. I remember the Panthers ran players at him all night and he finished up with 38 tackles leaving me thinking we had unearthed a gem. That was probably the most wrong I have ever been in my life.

I also spoke to Phil after the match in the North Bar and he was saying that it was his fault we lost and he should have stepped inside rather than try and out sprint Howland for the corner. He also confessed that Mark Mclinden was quicker than him over 40 metres and his view was Marty was the quickest over that distance in the league.

Kris_man

Bench
and Elliott thought that the solution would be to drop Phil Graham, when our diminishing results had nothing to do with him. he played a couple more games in 2003 as a late replacement, and a few games in 2004, but always as a winger. did anyone see Phil's 3rd try in the PL 2003 grand final? it was a beauty, i think this time i'm right in saying it was a great centre's try - vintage Phil Graham.

Kris_man

Bench
woodgers said:
I also spoke to Phil after the match in the North Bar and he was saying that it was his fault we lost and he should have stepped inside rather than try and out sprint Howland for the corner.
haha, that's awesome!!

on Bulgarelli: i thought the opposite. i think you'll find that every Panthers try that night involved Boogers. from the very start, i was never a fan.

How many long-range tries has Phil scored?

- 2 x 90m intercepts against the Cowboys in 2002.
- 1 x against Penrith when he made Wesser look like a snail.
- 2 x in the PL grand final, one was backing up a break from Jensen, the other he created himself and ran 60m.
- 1 x intercept against the Bulldogs this year.

I'm sure there has been more than that...

One of my favorite other tries of his that isn't really classified as a long-range try is his one against the Roosters in 2002. We were getting hammered, and Finch ( :shock: ) actually put in a good cross-field grubber type kick and it bounced perfectly for Graham who sprinted away. That was a good try. Too bad we still got flogged...

Kris_man

Bench
haha, now i can nitpick IBG! the intercepts against the Cowboys were in 2003 8) hil scored a mad long range one against the Tigers in 2002, as well as a couple of gems against Parramatta in 2003. and of course, how could you leave out his 100m debut try against the Northern Eagles

It was in 2003? Wow, that seems like a long time ago.

Ah yeah, I remember the N.E one... and that one I'm thinking of against Parra where it went the length of the field from Wiki to Monas to J-Lo to Phil was awesome. J-Lo was going full out and he was about to be caught, and then he gave it to Phil who accelerated and left the defender for dead.

I hope he scores some like that this year.

sydraider

First Grade
Winger for sure and definitely outside of mogg, they work well together!

That game at penrith park when he kicked ahead and made wesser look like a fat ethiopian stands to mind as to why he should be on the flank! :lol:

raiders_boy

Juniors
Prodigiousman said:
The point I'm making is a centre doesn't have to be that defensively strong if he's got an excellent defender inside him. Adam Mogg isn't exactly Mr Reliable in defence remember.
Yeah I'm not happy with this comment.

Mogg is the definition of Mr Reliable. He missed the least one-on-one tackles in the comp this year, so I don't know the basis of this comment. Everything else you said is great, although I just think he would be better on the wing with Mogg inside him. Mogg is a very good defender, which would help Phil immensely. Mogg is also the man who can get an offload away and create something for Phil to use his blinding speed.

sydraider

First Grade
Mogg is the definition of Mr Reliable. He missed the least one-on-one tackles in the comp this year, so I don't know the basis of this comment. Everything else you said is great, although I just think he would be better on the wing with Mogg inside him. Mogg is a very good defender, which would help Phil immensely. Mogg is also the man who can get an offload away and create something for Phil to use his blinding speed.

Totally agree, moggs defence I find is very reliable, he is a great one on one defender. I know there are a few in here that find his defence otherwise, I think he is a good defender. I have been at games where i have just concentrated on mogg in defence, he doesnt let much through.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Have to disagree on Mogg - he has some brain snaps at times. What I was getting at there was the fact I don't believe Mogg is that great a defensive centre which appears to be the main reason some people think Graham should be put on the wing. Doesn't mean I don't think Mogg should be in that position though. He's no Ruben Wiki (centre days) that's for sure.

thickos

First Grade
Mogg's biggest problem is that he rushes in at times and shafts his winger in defence. It happened probably 4 times in the Round 6 game at Toyota Park this season and he was utterly attrocious. However his form really picked up as the season progressed.

I think Moggy inside Phil would be beautiful, that flick pass could set up a lot of tries. :clap:

Raider_69

Post Whore
as thickos said, outside his rushing and leaving the winger f**ked Mogg does a great job

Latest posts