What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phone conversation with Sludge

Alan Shore

First Grade
A recommended read: http://sharks.rleague.com/news.php?id=12477

Some interesting quotes I have picked out.

Sludge said:
There certainly are performance based clauses in the contract. And all of that will be reviewed by my board at the end of the year. This year HAS been a bad year. We thought a lot of the younger guys would come through and they didn’t. Now I didn’t necessarily support all of the decisions made this year in regard to players being moved and released, but as for now he’s the coach.

So much for Steve Rogers just going along with Anderson folks. It's just a media ploy - he has to.

Sludge said:
But in Chris’ case he came to me asking for a ridiculous sum of money that I wasn’t prepared to pay. I’m not going to quote figures to you, but it was around $60,000 more than what I felt he was worth. So I told him he could talk to other clubs, purely because I wanted him to see what was out there. That’s a process most players go through, just to see what they’re worth. So I told Chris he could talk to other clubs, and I told him that one of us is going to be very surprised. And it’s not going to be me. More recently Chris has come back with a much revised figure. But he could still move on.

Beattie has been underperforming this year, and everyone knows it. We should re-sign him since not alot of other clubs are giving him the offers he want.

Sludge said:
We’ve had talks with Glenn as well as another well known prop forward. We’re still talking. There’s going to be a lot of very interesting announcements
made soon. It’s just unfortunate that we can’t make them yet. But we’re going to have a great team in 2004

By logical deduction that well known prop forward is Luke Davico.

Sludge said:
Vagana’s a strong possibility for 2004. He’d be great as a Shark

Looks definite to me.

Sludge said:
We discussed Josh Hannay, but in the end what he was asking was too high. It gets back to the same thing. We’re not going to sign someone just because they can kick

Bugger. But we *need* a kicker! Although Sludge sums it up in an earlier quote.

Sludge said:
But we’re not going to buy a guy just because he can kick. He has to be able to play footy as well. I mean if I really wanted a kicker, I could buy Joel Caine right now from the Wests Tigers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

legend

Coach
Well Vagana, Glen Hall and Luke Davico would make a big difference. Franze will be back but I still think the Sharks look thin out wide.

Alan Shore

First Grade
legend said:
BTW, I'm thinking your prop signing will be Josh Perry instead of Luke Davico.

It bloody better well not be. I don't want this overrated useless thug donning a Sharks jersey. I'll never accept it.

Aries

Bench
Same old faces, same old sh!t hey ;-)

Thought I better register before someone pinched my name, or they shut down the Sharks forum too :(