What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pieterson/Thorpe/Bell/Jones...who should play?

budz

Juniors
Any chance of the English selectors being able to get Thorpe back from retirement? They seriously need him at 4 to replace Bell. I cant see Bell doing too well this series. And England really need Vaughn scoring some runs too. Giles and Jones should definately be dropped too.

fish eel

Immortal
without looking it up, I think Collingwood only averages around 30 with the bat in first class cricket.

aussies1st

Staff member
Collingwood seemed to play well against the Aussies in the ODI. I don't think they will want to decrease their batting lineup even though Bell isn't in form. More likely collingwood will replace Giles

shaggy

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
I agree. i was amazed that they went with Bell ahead of Thorpe. The strange thing was is that there was never even the slightest conjecture about Bell's position.

He scored 150 vs Bangaladesh so he must be a certinaty right?...Pietersen always had to play. He clearly has an X factor...an attitude where he isnt intimidated one bit by the Aussies. He's special.

And Thorpe is the experienced battler in the middle order that had to be selected. He's a fighter with a proven record against Australia.

The English selectors have continued to make a few clangers unfortunately.

a century against bangladesh means nothing just ask martin love

aussies1st

Staff member
Collingwood in those odis seemed to have a knack for saving england. He wasn't a pitersen who slogged everything. But either way this won't be happening. The only change England have made is Pietersen and Bell switching around in the order

Earl

Coach
Collingwood has scored 2 big hundreds in his last 2 County innings, so he is in form.

I'd think about bringing him in for Bell or Giles.

Scott

Bench
Bell and Giles will both play the next test. It is at their home ground... There is no way they will be dropped.

If a change was to be made, surely it would be Collingwood or maybe even Robert Key for Hoggard.

That way Flintoff bats at 7, and they only have 3 seamers, plus Giles (whatever he is) and maybe the mediums of Collingwood.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Robert Key has shown he is not up to playing against the Aussies, he can make runs against the County pie chuckers, but that's about it.

tiburon

Juniors
To be fair to Key it was his first test/test series of his career when he played against Australia, it really is a lot of pressure to perform under those circumstances & opposition. Also didn't he make a century or close to a double century against Australia 'A' down in hobart last time England were here?

I dunno i'm not a fan of Key but he's a lot better than the majority of batsmen doing the rounds in English County Cricket; he at least has some natural ability.

Scott

Bench
He would certainly be the cab off the rank. Granted he probably isn't good enough, but I'm not sure there is another batsman in county cricket that is...

Red Bear

Referee
Once, again, Thorpe. That could possibly the brainmelt which cost them this series, the customary one by an english team.

aussies1st

Staff member
Key from memory wasn't great in the field. That is something Collingwood would bring.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he has a terrible technique, his head wobbles around alot and he has a lot of foot movements just waiting for the ball to reach him, very hard to be consistent with all those movements

aussies1st

Staff member
that too, he had some shockers in Aus. England however ain't that stupid (i think). Key's name hasn't been mentioned in the media so i wouldnt expect to see him against Aus

Latest posts