What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plan to use GPS technology in NRL footballs to track forward passes

Jason Maher

Immortal
If they decide to use this to its fullest extent - i.e. to call back every pass that is marginally forward, I can see it ruining the flow of the game. 90% of tries scored through the hands will be disallowed. It should only be used to pick up the howlers, say at least 50 cm forward.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not sure I like this...for some reason it seems too precise, somehow. I'm not sure. Personally I'd be happy with the video ref being allowed on forward passes.

gronkathon

First Grade
Controversial and wrong calls are part of the game.

It is a big chunk of what fans talk about to each other mid week.

It is a terrible idea IMHO.

But It would guarantee more ad breaks which is what the 9 execs have been pushing for

MightyBronco

Juniors
Im on the fence here. The momentum thing sure would be tough, but i presume the makers have factored that in. It must be more than just plain old GPS

I'd like it only to be used for the corkers only.

Better be trialled first. Why dont the use it for all the remaining bunnies games?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Im on the fence here. The momentum thing sure would be tough, but i presume the makers have factored that in. It must be more than just plain old GPS

I'd like it only to be used for the corkers only.

Better be trialled first. Why dont the use it for all the remaining bunnies games?
:lol::lol::lol:

As the great Gus Mercurio Gould would say...No, no, no, no, no.

We've gone far enough with technology.

I'll give it away if this comes to fruition.

Ozzy

First Grade
As the great Gus Mercurio Gould would say...No, no, no, no, no.

We've gone far enough with technology.

I'll give it away if this comes to fruition.
Don't worry it isn't going to happen. To get a beam from a satellite to be accurate to 1 centimetre, the beam would have to be so directional that the satellite sat right over the stadium. Must be a slow news day.

Could just be used to help the video ref rule on forward passes leading to tries...but imagine how much more often they would be reffered

Pierced Soul

First Grade
we wont know till it is trialled. i like the theory just not sure how well it'll work in practice.

would be pretty interetsing though to track things like speed of passes and kicks. then when someone cops a falcon from a kick we'll be able to go "it was travelling at 100km an hour"

eozsmiles

Bench
They could put some kind of LED light in the ball too. And whenever it went forward it could glow bright red and the ref would know to blow the whistle. Pretty cool.

Ray Warren likes to talk about whether the passers hands are pointing towards his goal line or the opponents goal line. The GPS won't tell us that will it?

Rodent

Bench
The technology will know the velocity of the ball BEFORE it is passed and if it accelerates towards the opposing try line when leaving the hands, it's a forward pass. If it travels forward but at a speed less than or equal to what it was when it left the hands, it'll be legal.
If it works, people will be shocked at just how far forward long passes travel whilst still being within the rules. People will swear the technology doesn't work.

HowHigh

Coach
Would be great in some occasions. I just hope the refs don't have to go upstairs (if thats how it'll work) for every questionable pass. Its bad enough they go to the video ref so often even if they're standing a metre away from where the try is scored.

MightyBronco

Juniors
Don't worry it isn't going to happen. To get a beam from a satellite to be accurate to 1 centimetre, the beam would have to be so directional that the satellite sat right over the stadium. Must be a slow news day.

It will be using more tech than plain old GPS

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
CRICKET has its Eagle Eye, Snickometer and Hot Spot. Tennis has Hawk-Eye. Swimming has electronic sensors in the pool, athletics has photo finishes.

Rugby league has got its video referees to judge offside, foul play, grounding of the football and just about everything else - except for forward passes.

Now one of Australia's leading sports technology companies, GPSports Systems, is developing cutting-edge software that will ensure an accurate ruling on forward passes from next season.

It works like this ... a micro chip and battery (the size of small finger nail) is included in the layering of Steeden footballs for NRL use only. A signal is sent via satellite to computer grid in the video referee's box within a quarter of a second.

A computer alarm or beep will sound if the ball is propelled forward from a player's hands - not for passes that have been directed backwards but float forward. The video referees will alert on-field officials in a process that takes just a few seconds and will not interfere or slow down the run of play.

GPSports System spokesman Damien Hawes declined to go into great detail about his invention because the company is still in the process of getting a patent on the device.

However, he did say: "I can confirm we'll have a positional system for the football that will get down to a centimetre for accuracy and reliability of where the ball moves on the field. Our staff have been working on it for some time because it has to be robust enough to handle kicking, passing, impact in tackles and players falling on it.

"It's something we will take to the NRL during the off-season.

"There is no question it will help on the adjudication of forward passes."

Referees boss Bill Harrigan concedes at least six tries have been allowed this season from forward passes and that others have been called back from legitimate passes.

One blatant miss - when Robbie Farah passed 1m forward to Blake Ayshford in Gosford last Friday night - cost Manly the game and possibly a $100,000 bonus that comes with the minor premiership.

"Considering the number of tries scored, it's a small percentage, " Harrigan said.

"But if anyone can show us technology that is going to help our guys, I'm all for it. Umpires and referees in other sports like cricket and tennis are getting help all the time."

Channel 9 has welcomed the innovation and wants it to be part of their television broadcasts next season. "It would be a fantastic thing for television," said Nine's sports technology guru Brad McNamara.

"It will tell you exactly what angle the ball leaves a player's hands within a quarter of a second. The fans will love it and it will take enormous pressure off referees."

A spokesperson for Steeden, whose footballs are made in India, said manufacturing a football with a sensor was a possibility and said the company looked forward to having talks with GPS experts.

"It's definitely something we could look in to," brand and marketing manager Leah Curtis said. "It's something that could be included in the layering of the ball. The mechanics would have to ensure it didn't affect the performance of the football."

Harrigan said he was looking forward to being shown the new technology that could be trialled in the All Stars match in February and other pre-season matches."If this sort of technology was available and it takes pressure off the referees, I'd be all for it," he said. "If it can happen without impacting on the continuity of the game, it's something I'd love to look at."

NRL boss David Gallop said of the plan: "If it works then we would consider it - tracking devices used in cricket and tennis are terrific. Anything that is going to help our game and help our referees is worth looking at."

GPS IN FOOTY
Do you think it's a good idea?
Yes
No
VOTE NOW http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k-forward-passes/story-e6frexnr-1226108565226

Doesn't cricket use Hawk-Eye?

docbrown

Coach
I went to an information day GPSports had about a year ago, hence why I mentioned it in the forward pass thread.

I was amused how quickly people tried to shoot the idea down though. But now the telecrap's all over it, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyhow good on GPSports for pursuing innovation. It's a multi million dollar Australian idea that has implication for dozens of sports.

Latest posts