What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans afoot to bring a New York club into Super League

Golden point

Juniors
In rugby league's curcumstance its different. Given that the game doesnt have establishment propagation of the code like union, rugby league must get the message out there in as much a high profile way as possible. The strategy involved with the Toronto Wolfpack and hopefully the New York club will sew seeds of attraction that otherwise would not have eventuated under the current way things are for rugby league with respects to a lack of presence in schools and universities etc. Its about the only this great code can get itself noticed and out there. Its basically circumventing a system that doesnt propagate rugby league and saying "Here I am! What do you think? If you like me join the fun!"
Hit the nail on the head.

Stallion

First Grade
Trolling?? Shut up you frigging idiot..you barely have 300 posts !!

Go research how arena football league or the national lacrosse league was set up! Especially the NLL!

Eric perez has already, apparently,shown he's able to drum up enough interest,somewhere upwards of $15-20m, to invest in Toronto and NYC,if he is involved in NYC?,that to me shows there's potential in other cities too.....and theres a north American "super league"...that's the future! Not having Toronto & NYC in the English system!

Think we all support whats going on with the Wolfpack etc and I would think that these pioneers will have an eye to creating strong domestic competition in North America into the future. Its just getting the seeds sewn now and growth will occur for this well hidden and repressed code.

Krzzystuff

Juniors
Hello LU world.

New to the forum and just browsing Wolfpack related threads.

Just wanted to throw it out there that the NY bid isn't part of the two bids that Perez was in the UK for prior to the WC. He pitched two teams, one in the US for 2019 (Boston) and another Canadian team for 2020 (Montreal hopefully as Hamilton is shit) It was on a BBC 5Live podcast pre WC.

So right now the RFL is sitting on two proposals for expansion teams in 2019 from the US. Wonder if both will be accepted or if they will have to choose between the two. I like the idea of NY but trust Perez to pull off a better job than the mystery consortium.

Time will tell but I believe that we will start hearing more about the bids and new TWP signings after the WC to make sure we grab all the headlines.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Hello LU world.

Just wanted to throw it out there that the NY bid isn't part of the two bids that Perez was in the UK for prior to the WC. He pitched two teams, one in the US for 2019 (Boston) and another Canadian team for 2020 (Montreal hopefully as Hamilton is shit) It was on a BBC 5Live podcast pre WC.

So right now the RFL is sitting on two proposals for expansion teams in 2019 from the US. Wonder if both will be accepted or if they will have to choose between the two. I like the idea of NY but trust Perez to pull off a better job than the mystery consortium.

Time will tell but I believe that we will start hearing more about the bids and new TWP signings after the WC to make sure we grab all the headlines.
Every RL fan wants to see the Wolfpack and these potential North American bids succeed. I'm hoping it would be Boston, Montreal and New York all competing in either League 1, or Championship by 2020.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Every RL fan wants to see the Wolfpack and these potential North American bids succeed. I'm hoping it would be Boston, Montreal and New York all competing in either League 1, or Championship by 2020.
yeah, this is all great – but where are the players gonna come from ???

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hello LU world.

Yeh, my fear is that some random new guy is just jumping in half-cocked hoping it will go well.

A failed franchise would set the NA expansion back a long way, so best avoid that situation.

Golden point

Juniors
This is the strangest but still popular view.
I ask you: how many potential first graders will no longer be lost through the systems?
Let's look JUST at the world Cup..... how many of these guys are we never going to hear of again simply because there is only so many places?

Or how much talent just in the us could be reached if you could offer a pay check?

More places = more talent.

Krzzystuff

Juniors
I ask you: how many potential first graders will no longer be lost through the systems?
Let's look JUST at the world Cup..... how many of these guys are we never going to hear of again simply because there is only so many places?

Or how much talent just in the us could be reached if you could offer a pay check?

Exactly!
People keep whining about the player shortage but if you give them a potential to make a good living in big cities across the world vs. Local villages then why wouldn't you expect all the players that drop out at around 16 currently to continue their development?

You need money and some prestige in the sport to attract youth and playing in small old stadiums that are half empty for a pittance in one of the most physically demanding sports isn't a great marketing pitch is it? Add to that small town / city location as the cherry on top

Dakink

Bench

Being from Oz you should be aware of the number of quality players plying their trade not only in the Q Cup and NSW Cup but the metro A grades and even many country A Grade teams.

I can assure you their are many so called park players plying their trades in the various A grade (many paid) comps around the country more than capable of playing in the English lower leagues (to start with).

Thats without even looking at the Pacific nations or developing nth American talent and other left field options.

StadiumXIII

Juniors

That's exactly the point you have these reserve graders and young players in the NRL who think it's the be all and end all to make it in the NRL often they are lost to the sport or very sadly take their own life. Opening up new markets leaves a whole new window of opportunities sticking to the same places, watching the same teams makes the sport become repetitive and stagnant.

DC_fan

Coach
I like the idea of going big, and you can’t get any bigger then New York City.

While I hope it works my feeling is that it will fail. I just don’t see Americans taking to the game in big enough numbers for it to succeed. America is pretty well a closed shop to anything new, especially sports. They are an insular country, with many of its population knowing very little about the outside world, and that means rugby league.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That's exactly the point you have these reserve graders and young players in the NRL who think it's the be all and end all to make it in the NRL often they are lost to the sport or very sadly take their own life. Opening up new markets leaves a whole new window of opportunities sticking to the same places, watching the same teams makes the sport become repetitive and stagnant.

F*ck mate, thats a jump.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

While I hope it works my feeling is that it will fail. I just don’t see Americans taking to the game in big enough numbers for it to succeed. America is pretty well a closed shop to anything new, especially sports. They are an insular country, with many of its population knowing very little about the outside world, and that means rugby league.

Yeh, NYC doesnt strike me as the best bet. I feel like a smaller city looking to make a statement is a better choice...

In NYC, RL will just get lost in the wash. Pick a smaller place and the club could become the pride of the town.

(remembering its america and "small" is still pretty big)

Pommy

Coach
Yeh, NYC doesnt strike me as the best bet. I feel like a smaller city looking to make a statement is a better choice...

In NYC, RL will just get lost in the wash. Pick a smaller place and the club could become the pride of the town.

(remembering its america and "small" is still pretty big)

I guess you need a city which has direct air links to the north of England or to be very close to a city which does have this.

Krzzystuff

Juniors
I guess you need a city which has direct air links to the north of England or to be very close to a city which does have this.
I still think that Perez's bid for Boston will be selected over the NY bid as he's got more credibility after what he's done in Toronto. That is if they don't select both, which I feel might be too much to quick for two new teams in 2019. After a proven team in the US they will be pushing for NY in 2020 along with Montreal.

Manc Yank

Juniors

I’m a Yank on the West Coast. I think fans will enjoy rugby league. I used to watch my favorite NFL team every week. I quit then NFL 2 years ago. There are enough currently disenfranchised NFL that would give it a shot. It may take time yet it will work.

Diesel

Referee
I’m a Yank on the West Coast. I think fans will enjoy rugby league. I used to watch my favorite NFL team every week. I quit then NFL 2 years ago. There are enough currently disenfranchised NFL that would give it a shot. It may take time yet it will work.
Looking forward to seeing what North America does to promote the game between now and the 2025 WC. Defiantly positive signs so far

latingringo101

Juniors
Looks like the kiwi vs England game will be penciled in for USA, be great if more pro footy was taken to the states

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/4dea8407b1c5183374b3b67667d3b886

I WANT to be a part of it, New York, New York.

These are the famous lyrics being sung by Manly co-owner Scott Penn, who has opened discussions for his famous club to become an official partner with the fledgling New York rugby league franchise.

There are even suggestions the team could be named the New York Sea Eagles.

A $12m investment plan has been submitted to the English Rugby Football League for a New York side to enter The Championship, one level below Super League, from 2019.

And Manly want to start spreading the news.

DRAMA: Sea Eagles chief faces NRL expulsion

SURPRISE: How Sydney granny fits into cap scandal

6c78529fbd90654eb25078928b4d896b

Manly wants to extend their reach past Brookie Oval. Photo: Mark Evans
Penn believes his club could engage in commercial partnerships with blue-chip US companies and learn off the Americans in digital and sport science.

Manly could even direct some players nearing retirement to New York. Penn was in America recently and made contact with franchise investors.

“The New York team is certainly of interest to us,” Penn said. “We have had a preliminary discussion over email signalling that we would be interested in having further discussions.

“It was about potentially joining with them. They are an area of interest, I have business interests over there.

“We have an infrastructure, there could be player swaps as some of our players come into the twilight of their careers. There could be opportunity for them to play over there, something that I have no doubt would delight them.

7db32edaa1a22cb643d5e867ab62ebe2

Manly chairman Scott Penn is planning for growth. Photo: Adam Yip
“It would be a great linkage and an exciting pathway. We have always been looking at how to grow the game, both domestically and internationally.

“Having the 2025 World Cup over there, it is certainly an opportunity to start entrenching ourselves in the market. There is definitely potential with joint sponsorship opportunities with US companies.

“We are in the digital age, learning how to maximise returns digitally and through memberships. It would help us get to know some of the NFL teams, help from a sports science point of view, making sure we are continually learning and growing, as a club and business.”

0:00
/
2:56
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
ee454a14921610ae476988632fac6476

5a3d924152deb1450269db28cc05eb3c

How cap breach impacts Manly
Asked could the team be known as the New York Sea Eagles, Penn said: “There is the (Seattle) Seahawks over there, an NFL team, but if it was appropriate, sure.”

Manly has preliminary plans to take a game to the US in coming years.

New York would play blocks of home and away games in the US and England with predicted average home crowds of about 10,000 a match.

New York’s possible entry comes on the back of success enjoyed by the Toronto Wolfpack, who also play in the English competition.

“Rugby league being a gladiatorial-type sport, not dissimilar to NFL, I think any American who have watched rugby league think: ‘Wow, they hit hard’,” Penn said. “I think they would enjoy our game.”

The New York side would compete in summer, shielding them from competition against the all-powerful NFL. Even claiming a small percentage of the rich and powerful US sporting market would prove highly lucrative.

New York’s bid for a rugby league team was first reported by The Daily Telegraph back on October 17.

Latest posts