What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Platypus "Speed Sensor" Balls

bowen_1

Juniors
Has anyone tried those bright orange speed sensor balls? Me and my mates are thinking about getting one, just for a bit of fun in the nets and bragging rights. If anyone has one, how accurate are they, and how long do they last? Maybe people could post their highest bowling speeds using the ball.

choc_soldier

Coach
I once entered a competition in a cricket mag to win one, but didn't win.

I probably wouldn't fork out some hard earned for it, but it would be interesting to see how quickly I bowl. With me, I would probably be around 90-95kph (I bowl right arm slow medium leg cutters, with an off-spinner action).

[furrycat]

Coach
They are very accuruate. You just need to be able to bowl accurate and hit the length you specify on the ball.

simmofan91

Juniors
they're about $50 got mine about a year ago
as long as you set the accurate length that you bowl it works quite well
i can bowl about 108-115kph

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
My brother got one for his birthday today.

The local school nets were closed, so I shamelessly ran out onto the rugby field behind my back fence, measured out an approximate pitch (set on 18 metres, I figure that's a full length ball on a full-sized 20 metre pitch), let 5 or 6 go and then ran back inside lol.

Several balls registered over 140, but I'm guessing that's cos I landed them too short. I also had a 117 and a 123 which I figure are more accurate, although I didn't think I was even that quick, considering I only play social grade indoor cricket.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
btw, the balls are slightly softer than a normal cricket ball, like Incrediballs (you guys have those in Aus?) but harder. You are not supposed to ever hit them with a bat or bowl them into a wall. I figure the condition of the ball will start to deteriorate in the not too distant future. You can't use it as a proper cricket ball, only for the purpose of measuring speed/bowling practise.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
lol Twizzle.

me and my brother just had a go. We measured out a pitch with a tape measure and everything, but the ball is bloody hopeless imo. I know you're supposed to get the distance relatively accurate, but we were getting pretty close and the range was still ridiculous. Anywhere beaten 75kph and 125 kph (and that's only counting the ones that aren't ridiculously high or low, such as 10kph and 190kph lol). I'm revising my own realistic speed to maybe 105-110, but really I have absolutely no idea.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it sounds to me like they are pretty useless

speed seems to be very innacurate

Latest posts