What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Played at the ball?

newyboy

Juniors
I think this played at the ball is getting a bit out of control. I reckon 70% are not playing at the ball but attempting a tackle.

This is extremely frustrating as it mostly occurs on the last or 2nd last tackle.

Although one was a good call re: Roosters/Storm going against the attacking team.

Thoughts?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
If the attacking player can't secure the ball well enough, they deserve to lose possession.

Blame the mindset of some players preparing for an offload before they reach the defence. Simply a loose carry.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I think this played at the ball is getting a bit out of control. I reckon 70% are not playing at the ball but attempting a tackle.

This is extremely frustrating as it mostly occurs on the last or 2nd last tackle.

Although one was a good call re: Roosters/Storm going against the attacking team.

Thoughts?

If you are making a tackle you are playing at the ball, no? The reason you make a tackle is to stop advancement of the ball.

ReddFelon

Juniors
The whole "knocked on in the tackle" thing is dumb. Player runs into contact and whether it's a pass or bobble if it gets smacked backwards by impact it's six again. Same exact person bobbles it in contact and then regathers it, knock on.

All loose carries should be in favour of the defence, simple as.

Springs09

Juniors
If you are making a tackle you are playing at the ball, no? The reason you make a tackle is to stop advancement of the ball.

They made it black and white years ago so that anyone attempting a tackle is deemed to have been playing at the ball. Before that it was seriously a coin toss - how's a ref supposed to judge someone's intentions?

This is in regards to when the player attempts to pass. For strips or knocked outs its still a coin toss.

SharkShocked

Bench
They made it black and white years ago so that anyone attempting a tackle is deemed to have been playing at the ball. Before that it was seriously a coin toss - how's a ref supposed to judge someone's intentions?

This is in regards to when the player attempts to pass. For strips or knocked outs its still a coin toss.

My only issue with this rule being completely black and white is you often see playmakers/ball carriers panic and throw a wild ball at the last second straight into the player who' is right on top of them (half the time forward, but how can you tell its going to be a forward pass when it's literally 20-30cm between release and contact) and they get rewarded another set of 6 for poor play.

I actually preferred it when the referee was judging whether or not the player was quite obviously throwing their hands wildly wide and taking a 50/50 punt as opposed to just making a tackle. I could live with them making a decision.

People complain about the standard of the referees but also want to look to remove any of their skills / nous in relation to judging play at every turn.

Typical NRL over reaction... 7 tackle set another perfect example... 'promote attacking footy in the red zone'.... penalise a block who in trying to ground the ball knocks on in goal.... yeah ok.

typicalfan

Coach
They changed the rule because before players were hedging their bets anyway so they were playing for a last second pass when wrapping in the tackle. It got to the point when almost all of them were played at and most still are.

SharkShocked

Bench
They changed the rule because before players were hedging their bets anyway so they were playing for a last second pass when wrapping in the tackle. It got to the point when almost all of them were played at and most still are.

Disagree with this, i think it's now gone the other way to far, just can't stand shit ball players getting rewarded for shoveling the ball at the last second knowing they can throw it into hands.

Always thought it was quite obvious when someone was as you say 'hedging' their bets and referee's should be able to pick this up, part of the art of being a referee and understanding the game, as opposed to just video reviewing the game.

But meh, our game is f**ked from a rules and interpretation point of view, so on with the status quo.

typicalfan

Coach
Disagree with this, i think it's now gone the other way to far, just can't stand shit ball players getting rewarded for shoveling the ball at the last second knowing they can throw it into hands.

Always thought it was quite obvious when someone was as you say 'hedging' their bets and referee's should be able to pick this up, part of the art of being a referee and understanding the game, as opposed to just video reviewing the game.

But meh, our game is f**ked from a rules and interpretation point of view, so on with the status quo.
If you talk about the typical centre rushing up on a fullback to shut down the play then I disagree those players are taught to not let the play progress any further. Maybe in other instances it isn't but they made it black and white because they were pretty much all meaning to do it.

Slackboy72

Coach
The whole knock on rule is a mess.
It was supposed to stop people throwing the ball in the air, running past the defence untouched,and re-catching it. Then it turned into fumbling the ball forward and then into dropping the ball forward or dropping it straight down or losing grip of it in the tackle or having two strikes at it with the foot in the play of the ball or whatever the ref wants.
Nothing about it now has anything to do with stopping people from making themselves immune to being tackled. It's all to do with perfect handling which is not what rugby league is about.

Latest posts