What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player drain

Sorry guys but I just don't rate Reynoldson. Would love to see how Tony Williams goes in the top grade hopefully next year.

greena

Juniors
Don't get me wrong I would rather be wrong and the forwards lead us to the premiership but ut is hardly likely.

The problem is that we have too many palyers that are just workers. Every club need one or tow players like Wagon, Robinson, I Hindmarsh & Cordoba but you can't have all of them in the top 17 and expecte to wing the big games - they will perform ok weeek in and week out but when the pther sides are keyed up they are often found wanting.

What I am worrying about is the players in PL are just mor of the same, Oake will never be up to furst grade standard and Paulo is no better than a fill in - they do not bring anything special into the team. Cayless, N Hundmarsh and Moi Moi have too much pressue on them to perform each week. Does anyone really believe that other clubs hold any fear for the players I mentioned earlier?

Add to this Smith & Finch having to be hideen in tyhe defensive line and I fear that it will mean a quick exit in the finals.

Decent teams do not capitulate the way the Parramatta has to injury riddled sides like Canberra & Cronulla to mention two.

I hope that the JF players like Lewis, Mannah, Williams etc step up quickly, they have to.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old grouch.

Bazal

Post Whore
greena said:
Don't get me wrong I would rather be wrong and the forwards lead us to the premiership but ut is hardly likely.

The problem is that we have too many palyers that are just workers. Every club need one or tow players like Wagon, Robinson, I Hindmarsh & Cordoba but you can't have all of them in the top 17 and expecte to wing the big games - they will perform ok weeek in and week out but when the pther sides are keyed up they are often found wanting.

What I am worrying about is the players in PL are just mor of the same, Oake will never be up to furst grade standard and Paulo is no better than a fill in - they do not bring anything special into the team. Cayless, N Hundmarsh and Moi Moi have too much pressue on them to perform each week. Does anyone really believe that other clubs hold any fear for the players I mentioned earlier?

Add to this Smith & Finch having to be hideen in tyhe defensive line and I fear that it will mean a quick exit in the finals.

Decent teams do not capitulate the way the Parramatta has to injury riddled sides like Canberra & Cronulla to mention two.

I hope that the JF players like Lewis, Mannah, Williams etc step up quickly, they have to.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old grouch.

I'm a little confused...Cayless and Hindy are, to me, hard workers. In fact I reckon Josh is a Cayless clone. Look, I think we will have a very good balance between impact and work next season, with the likes of Cordoba, Cayless, Hindmarsh, Robinson and Wagon doing the hard stuff and MoiMoi, Paulo, Mateo, Hauraki, Riddell and Marsh providing the impact. And that's not including any of the young kids that might come through. I rate Aaron Wood as a pretty good prop, you're right in that he is more of a worker but we have guys like Timmy Mannah and Tony Williams (this kid is the goods, he's the spitting image of Feleti) coming through as well who can provide impact. It's all about the balance; if you have too many workers you'll suffer when sides up the tempo. But by the same token you can have too many impact players, they'll tire and become ineffective attack and lazy in defence

Hurriflatch

Referee
what Parra is lacking and also lacked in 2001 and 2005 is a mongrel forward

and no one coming through looks to fit that bill either

CrazyEel

Bench
Bazal said:
I'm a little confused...Cayless and Hindy are, to me, hard workers. In fact I reckon Josh is a Cayless clone. Look, I think we will have a very good balance between impact and work next season, with the likes of Cordoba, Cayless, Hindmarsh, Robinson and Wagon doing the hard stuff and MoiMoi, Paulo, Mateo, Hauraki, Riddell and Marsh providing the impact. And that's not including any of the young kids that might come through. I rate Aaron Wood as a pretty good prop, you're right in that he is more of a worker but we have guys like Timmy Mannah and Tony Williams (this kid is the goods, he's the spitting image of Feleti) coming through as well who can provide impact. It's all about the balance; if you have too many workers you'll suffer when sides up the tempo. But by the same token you can have too many impact players, they'll tire and become ineffective attack and lazy in defence
I agree with all you say but Hurri is right that we do need some mongrel, a hard arsed bastard, as well and none of those have it.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Jake the snake said:
Sorry guys but I just don't rate Reynoldson. Would love to see how Tony Williams goes in the top grade hopefully next year.

I think you are getting ahead of yorself again. He has little impact in Premier League. Besides we have a few others ahead of him atm.

Bazal

Post Whore
I honestly thing mongrel forwards are becoming obsolete. I mean, look at Manly and Melbourne. Not only are they runaways at the top of the table, they have set the benchmark in the forwards all year, without one so called mongrel in the pack. Melbourne do have Mick Crocker, granted, but he's been out all year and they haven't missed him at all. There are very few mongrels left in our game these days, the rules don't allow them to flourish. Guys like that who push the envelope either change or get rubbed out. Look at blokes like Gorden Tallis and Danny Williams, probably amongst the last generation of real old fashioned mongrels. Both spent lots of time on the sideline through suspension, in fact suspension ended Williams' career (and rightly so for what he did). The rules are even harsher these days. Blokes get 7 weeks for high tackles that would have been a dime a dozen from guys like Tallis, because hard and heavy was how he tackled, and would have maybe attracted a two week ban. Cameras catch everything that happens on the field, even deep within the ruck you aren't safe. Mongrels are a thing of the past IMO...

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of tough blokes out there and plenty of room for them, but in the modern game the mongrel forward who operates at the very edge of the rules is very much facing extinction

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well i have been impressed by Paulo and Hauraki from the little that they have played. And it will be interesting to see the young guys come through in the next year or 2. But our fate will rely on injuries, like every other team. Just ask the Bronco's. If you come through unscathed you are a chance to win a comp.

CrazyEel

Bench
Bazal said:
I honestly thing mongrel forwards are becoming obsolete. I mean, look at Manly and Melbourne. Not only are they runaways at the top of the table, they have set the benchmark in the forwards all year, without one so called mongrel in the pack. Melbourne do have Mick Crocker, granted, but he's been out all year and they haven't missed him at all. There are very few mongrels left in our game these days, the rules don't allow them to flourish. Guys like that who push the envelope either change or get rubbed out. Look at blokes like Gorden Tallis and Danny Williams, probably amongst the last generation of real old fashioned mongrels. Both spent lots of time on the sideline through suspension, in fact suspension ended Williams' career (and rightly so for what he did). The rules are even harsher these days. Blokes get 7 weeks for high tackles that would have been a dime a dozen from guys like Tallis, because hard and heavy was how he tackled, and would have maybe attracted a two week ban. Cameras catch everything that happens on the field, even deep within the ruck you aren't safe. Mongrels are a thing of the past IMO...

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of tough blokes out there and plenty of room for them, but in the modern game the mongrel forward who operates at the very edge of the rules is very much facing extinction
I wasn't referring to thugs or "close to the edge" players like Crocker or Beattie Baz, more to the Steve Price hard arsed bastards that just don't give an inch or take a backward step under any circumstance. Our pack is good in open games but found wanting in arm wrestles and we need one of those that thrive on close tight tough games to lead us through.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Jake the snake said:

My thoughts exactly. Injuries have crippled Reynoldson anyway, whilst at Melbourne he was a gun.