What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player in Focus

Nutz

Bench
What player are you wanting to break out and play better than previous years.
We have had two miserable seasons where there were so many players that put in poor performances or didn't play consistent good footy.
For me it's the whole fwd pack but one person in particular is Alex Twal.
"The Lebanese Juggernaut" has scored ONE try in how many seasons?
The reason Alex doesn't score is twofold imo.
One, his positional play in attack near the line. He stands out like a beacon running telegraphed straight lines which he is easily picked off.
Secondly he tends to crowd the ball player. The reason for that is he hasn't really played with a great hooker/dummy half.
He needs to let Api do his thing and then run late on angles or late line change.
He's actually quiet strong and if he hasn't got one or two defending head on then he's a chance of scoring.
Alex is an exceptional 1%ers player but his attack is telegraphed. Benji and Morris may help him work better with Api.
In fact all the forwards started to understand Api as the season progressed last year but not good enough. So I'm looking at players like Alex, Stefano, Pole, Seyfarth and Klem to play better this year in attack.

Last edited:
The only thing missing from his game is that explosive running game that the premier props possess. His workrate in defence is phenomenal and you need guys like that in your squad. I don't think Bryce Gibbs scored many tries in his time with us either but he had a job to do and did it well.

For me, more wanting to see at least one of last years backs (not Bula) put there hand up and go up a level.
To’a, Staines, Naden, Tupou etc
I don’t include Nofo, as I hope he gets punted.

I agree, the players that we should be expecting to see improvement from are in the halves (well not improvement from them per se since they have just arrived, but better performance from that role,) and the three quarter line. The forwards did their job in 2023. Our backs let us down.

Nutz

Bench
I agree, the players that we should be expecting to see improvement from are in the halves (well not improvement from them per se since they have just arrived, but better performance from that role,) and the three quarter line. The forwards did their job in 2023. Our backs let us down.
Our backs were ok but as you said our halves couldn't ice a cupcake.

Nutz

Bench
For me, more wanting to see at least one of last years backs (not Bula) put there hand up and go up a level.
I'm hoping Sezer will play like in his ESL highlights. If he does we will see a better result from our backs.

Tigerm

First Grade
Not sure if the young blokes (the Fainu’s, Galvin, Lobb, Faagutu etc) will get a run this year, but they look very promising.
If they do, then we are probably having a shit year, with injuries or results.

Nutz

Bench
Not sure if the young blokes (the Fainu’s, Galvin, Lobb, Faagutu etc) will get a run this year, but they look very promising.
I would like to see them get a run simply because Junior is going and possibly noffa and ad.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Naden & Staines are the 2 I want to see have breakout seasons.Staines has express pace & hopefully the kid can have an injury free season.Naden has all the attributes to be a decent outside back & hopefully he finally gets the shit out of his game & becomes more diamonds than the customary rocks.Toa I don’t rate & with most other clubs he’s playing nsw cup.Re Tupou it will b interesting to see his attitude & where his head his after signing elsewhere in ‘25.

Tiger Ted

Bench
If Latu Fainu is as good as I think he is he should b4 too long b Sezers halves partner.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yeah, if your halves are garbage it's hard for your centres and wingers to capitalise but they were pretty ordinary so I am hopeful that the change in halves will improve the centres and wingers.
Yep expecting a massive improvement in attack from our 3/4’s off the back of intelligent game management which we’ve been bereft of for a decade

Nutz

Bench
Well a few of these names haven't even debut yet ha ha.
Seyfarth maybe one who plays better this year after he showed glimpses of good footy. He always goes hard, just needs to run some good lines.
Matamua is another.
A few of our fwds are just used as running decoys which takes a lot out of them.
I'm hoping Benji can get all the fwds doing varrying roles. If it's left up to one or two to make an impact then the op D are going to be all over us again.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Well a few of these names haven't even debut yet ha ha.
Seyfarth maybe one who plays better this year after he showed glimpses of good footy. He always goes hard, just needs to run some good lines.
Matamua is another.
A few of our fwds are just used as running decoys which takes a lot out of them.
I'm hoping Benji can get all the fwds doing varrying roles. If it's left up to one or two to make an impact then the op D are going to be all over us again.
Seyfarth is a good kid who gives a shit showed much improvement last season & is on an upwards trajectory.

Tigerm

First Grade
My neighbours son is good mates with him.They played together for the shamrocks whose home ground is 5 mins from my place.Hes an impressive kid who never hesitated to turn up to coaching sessions when my nephew was playing for the shamrocks in ‘22.
I remember a few years ago, we went to a trial game at Wollongong and after the match a few of the players signed autographs, they all left except him, and he signed every kid who wanted one.
I remember thinking he is only young and probably pumped to be signing them, but from what you are saying, it’s just the mark of the man.
Apparently he signed here for less money last time, hopefully he can kick arse, he’s certainly capable of it.

Nutz

Bench
My neighbours son is good mates with him.They played together for the shamrocks whose home ground is 5 mins from my place.Hes an impressive kid who never hesitated to turn up to coaching sessions when my nephew was playing for the shamrocks in ‘22.
Captain of the victorious HM.

Tigerm

First Grade
Another impressive kid Kit Laulili was the captain of the champion ‘22 wests HM side whereas Seyfarth is a Balmain junior
I haven't followed the junior side of things as much as I should have, do we have many Balmain juniors in our squad, that you're aware of?
Brooks was? Nofo?

Latest posts