What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player manager deals

DJ1

Juniors
Banaghan's dodgy deals
By James Hooper
March 22, 2006

PLAYER agent Jim Banaghan negotiated one of the sweetest contracts in the NRL through the New Zealand Warriors - including free travel and luxury accommodation.

His players loved it too - because his management fees of more than $100,000 were paid for by a third party.

A Daily Telegraph investigation has uncovered the extensive dossier of perks Banaghan received as part of the New Zealand Warriors salary cap scandal.

Eight players out of the Banaghan management stable are currently contracted to the Warriors including Ruben Wiki and Nathan Fien.

Apart from the free airfares and accommodation, Banaghan has also received cash payments from the Warriors.

None of it was included in the salary cap.

George Mimis, who manages former Bulldogs skipper Steve Price, has never accepted airfares or accommodation.

But a signed letter of agreement with the Warriors included his own management fees, Price's sign-on fee, a free car and a lucrative job with an Auckland radio station.

The sign-on fee in the contract registered with the NRL was for a lesser amount and did not include the car or employment at the radio station.

Advertisement:
The third party payments for the management fees were made by Cullen Sport, a company controlled by former Warriors owner Eric Watson.

When contacted when the Warriors salary cap scandal first broke on February 24, Banaghan said: "I know nothing."

Last night the leading player agent, whose powerful stable includes at least 20 NRL stars, maintained: "I've done nothing wrong so I'm happy," Banaghan said.

Mimis also denies any wrongdoing. He has been implicated in the affair over Price's contract, which failed to include a car and details of employment with a radio station.

Another part of Price's deal allegedly included an unsigned contract guaranteeing three years work after retirement, but Mimis has strongly denied any knowledge of this.

"There is no deal agreed to between Price and the Warriors for any form of certain employment post his football," Mimis said.

"There were lots of discussions with both the Warriors and the Bulldogs but there was no deal and there is no deal.

"Steve Price is currently undertaking university studies to give himself every opportunity for employment post-football.

"The Warriors opted to increase the radio contract, reduce the NRL contract and they explained to SFX that this had been legitimised through the NRL."

Both agents will come under scrutiny - and face the prospect of the NRL refusing to register them as managers - at an Accreditation Committee meeting this Friday.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night outlined how agents found to be in breach of accreditation committee guidelines face stiff penalties, including losing their official NRL accreditation.

"The accreditation committee must take seriously any information that comes forward which indicates agents have been complicit in breaches of the rules," Gallop said.

New Zealand Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah refused to discuss the intricate details of the latest salary cap scandal developments but confirmed a number of irregularities were uncovered by an internal audit.

"There were some things that we were concerned with but we've managed to unwind everything and we're totally looking forward and we've got excellent relationships with all our agents," Scurrah said.

The Daily Telegraph
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18557705-23214,00.html

DJ1

Juniors
It's clear that these managers are a party to this type of situation.

Who else is managed by Banaghan or Mimis?

DJ1

Juniors
Here's a start,

Jim Banaghan

Rueben Wiki
Phil Graham
Nathan Fien
Joel Monaghan
Justin Hodges
Ashley Alberts
Corey Parker
Brent Tate
Michael Monaghan
PJ Marsh
Chris Flannery
Vinnie Anderson
Brent Webb

George Mimis

Mark Gasnier
Jason Ryles
Matt Cooper
Shaun Timmins
Ben Hornby
Ben Creagh
Justin Poore
Colin Best
Corey payne
Michael Henderson
Wes Niaqama
Nathan Browne
Darren Lockyer
Danny Buderus
Luke Ricketson
Robbie Kearns
Phil Bailey
Matt Orford
Billy Slater
David Peachey
Chris Anderson
Gordon Tallis (past)
Anthony Mundine (past)
Steve Simpson
John Morris
Steve Price

dazza

Staff member
DJ1 said:
Banaghan's dodgy deals
By James Hooper
March 22, 2006

PLAYER agent Jim Banaghan negotiated one of the sweetest contracts in the NRL through the New Zealand Warriors - including free travel and luxury accommodation.

His players loved it too - because his management fees of more than $100,000 were paid for by a third party.

A Daily Telegraph investigation has uncovered the extensive dossier of perks Banaghan received as part of the New Zealand Warriors salary cap scandal.

Eight players out of the Banaghan management stable are currently contracted to the Warriors including Ruben Wiki and Nathan Fien.

Apart from the free airfares and accommodation, Banaghan has also received cash payments from the Warriors.

None of it was included in the salary cap.

George Mimis, who manages former Bulldogs skipper Steve Price, has never accepted airfares or accommodation.

But a signed letter of agreement with the Warriors included his own management fees, Price's sign-on fee, a free car and a lucrative job with an Auckland radio station.

The sign-on fee in the contract registered with the NRL was for a lesser amount and did not include the car or employment at the radio station.

Advertisement:
The third party payments for the management fees were made by Cullen Sport, a company controlled by former Warriors owner Eric Watson.

When contacted when the Warriors salary cap scandal first broke on February 24, Banaghan said: "I know nothing."

Last night the leading player agent, whose powerful stable includes at least 20 NRL stars, maintained: "I've done nothing wrong so I'm happy," Banaghan said.

Mimis also denies any wrongdoing. He has been implicated in the affair over Price's contract, which failed to include a car and details of employment with a radio station.

Another part of Price's deal allegedly included an unsigned contract guaranteeing three years work after retirement, but Mimis has strongly denied any knowledge of this.

"There is no deal agreed to between Price and the Warriors for any form of certain employment post his football," Mimis said.

"There were lots of discussions with both the Warriors and the Bulldogs but there was no deal and there is no deal.

"Steve Price is currently undertaking university studies to give himself every opportunity for employment post-football.

"The Warriors opted to increase the radio contract, reduce the NRL contract and they explained to SFX that this had been legitimised through the NRL."

Both agents will come under scrutiny - and face the prospect of the NRL refusing to register them as managers - at an Accreditation Committee meeting this Friday.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night outlined how agents found to be in breach of accreditation committee guidelines face stiff penalties, including losing their official NRL accreditation.

"The accreditation committee must take seriously any information that comes forward which indicates agents have been complicit in breaches of the rules," Gallop said.

New Zealand Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah refused to discuss the intricate details of the latest salary cap scandal developments but confirmed a number of irregularities were uncovered by an internal audit.

"There were some things that we were concerned with but we've managed to unwind everything and we're totally looking forward and we've got excellent relationships with all our agents," Scurrah said.

The Daily Telegraph
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18557705-23214,00.html

i didn`t know eric had sold the club.

cheers dazza

innsaneink

Referee
Surely if these managers have been found to have been acting improperly, why cant players sack them, get out of any binding contracts?
Why would players want to be associated with someone known as a cheat?

Fairfax

Juniors
Correct me if i'm wrong but the only group that are responsible for cap payments are the clubs. The agent/manager and the player have no responsibilty and can't be called cheats.

That being the case there is a moral obligation not to engage knowingly in behaviour that would lead to breaches of the cap, but no legal imperative, unless that has changed with agents accrediataion. The agent/manager would simply argue he is doing the best he can for the client. The agents accreditation scheme probably has dealt with this behaviour now, but was running rampant before last year by all reports.

Why don't the NRL get taxation audits on the agents first and if there is an anomaly, drill down and investigate the clients? This could be a condition of accreditation and might just clean it up a bit.

HammDoggy

Juniors
I thought you had to be registered to be an NRL player agent these days, surely they can just de-register them and be done with it?

bartman

Immortal
I think they accredit managers, not register them. Difference being that they can't enforce players or clubs to only deal with the accredited ones?

I think they're trying to strongly suggest that accreditation is the way to go, but when that change was announced I remember reading some detail and thinking "toothless tiger"...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
innsaneink said:
Surely if these managers have been found to have been acting improperly, why cant players sack them, get out of any binding contracts?
Why would players want to be associated with someone known as a cheat?

some of these kids are pretty green and don't know any better

innsaneink

Referee
Twizzle said:
some of these kids are pretty green and don't know any better

I agree....but now that these incidents are coming to light...they can only be ignorant for so long.

Why would the players listed above want to continue on with these managers knowing they (the managers) are now known publically to play outside the rules?

I'm confused. If Price signed a letter of acceptance wouldn't have also signed a legal contract? If so, are these contracts then submitted to the NRL?

I would assume that Price signed but did not check the contract. Or, signed the contract knowing that there are certain omissions which were agreed to in the letter of acceptance.

ibeme

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I'm confused. If Price signed a letter of acceptance wouldn't have also signed a legal contract? If so, are these contracts then submitted to the NRL?

I would assume that Price signed but did not check the contract. Or, signed the contract knowing that there are certain omissions which were agreed to in the letter of acceptance.

He said that he signed with the understanding that the NRL had been informed of the changes. He specifically asked if everyone had been informed and was reassured by the club that they had been.

ibeme said:
He said that he signed with the understanding that the NRL had been informed of the changes. He specifically asked if everyone had been informed and was reassured by the club that they had been.
Yes, I've read that but still my question is...

Did the contract he signed match the earlier letter of acceptance and if are these contracts then lodged to the NRL?

It would seem that it isn't. Maybe it should.