What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market

Inferno

Coach
We need some non dykes Kimmorley threads, so I thought I would stir up some discussion.

Sticky has mentioned we are a few strike players short of a premiership, and I think very few think we have the current roster to take us all the way.

So identify a hole in the roster, and if possible make a case for who we should buy. Also try and stick to off contract players, we could all say sign Cam smith and Inglis, but it isn't going to happen.

Personally I think we are short 1 strike centre. The Pom is solid, and McNichol has big wraps on him, but is very much an unknown quantity.

I also think we are short an impact forward off the bench. Someone who makes an immediate impact, even if they are only good for 10 min spells. Think Hutch 3 years ago.

I also think we are short at Hooker. Kinga and De Gois are solid, but nothing special.

Whatuira, is one possible option, but likely to sign with union. Falou is off contract, and looking to move to the centres eventually but hard to see the Storm letting him go.

As for Impact forwards off the bench, there has been few more impressive than Sam Thaiday. He started off solid, but since being selected for SOO last year he really lifted to another level. He's quick, a solid defender and can even kick goals!

Another 2 I was looking at were both from the Storm, Jeff Lima and Sam Tagatese have both been impressive for the storm this year. Lima especially proves a handful with every hitup, and both will struggle to retain a spot when the Storm pack is at full strength (currently missing Kaufausi and Crocker)

There doesn't seem to be too many high quality hookers off contract and I am not keen on buying players that are no better than we already have, so the only option here for mind is Michael Ennis. He is currently playing halfback, but with Wallace rumoured to be linking up with them mid season, he could be on the outer. Corey Hughes is also off contract although I'm not really a fan.

What are your thoughts?

You can go here for a list of off contract players http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=174593

There has been a few changes since that was posted though.

spider

Coach
we need a dynamic rake

they compliment the play makers as well as being one

a good one is vital for a premiership

cheese

Bench
We have more than enough punch in the forwards to win a comp.

When Kearney is fit, we have three very good outside backs, which is comparable to most sides. Soon to be 4 when krazy karl is here. Nielson and the robbo's will also be alot closer to grade.

Without doubt our biggest weakness lies in the halfback, and hooker.

Young Watts and Green should make a solid halves pairing next year. Dobson is a f**king good little player, but we're obviously not interested.

Michael Ennis is the goldman, but I think he will stay in brizzy. Someone like Paul Aiton coming off the bench with Degois starting would add some zip and unpredictibility to our side. If we could get him, PJ Marsh would also be an excellent buy.

Inferno

Coach
The forwards are good, but wonder how we would go against either the dogs at full strength and form and the Broncs at full stength at form. We played both and beat both, but apart from the warriors the other night, I don't think we have really come up against a really strong forward pack.

While we are on the topic, what does everyone think we should do with Kearney. Keep him at fullback, hooker rotation, halves, maybe even centre? I honestly have no idea what to do with guy, but I definitely want him on the field for 80mins every week.

Aiton and Marsh would both be great buys. Both zippy little guys who can really take advantage of the good go forward our pack currently makes. Kinga is too slow for mind, and seems to be playing within himself. De Gois started off well, but teams are starting to notice it and he has been less effective over the last month or so.

If I could pick I'd take Aiton, purely because he is younger and zippier. Hard to see him leave the panthers though.

Surely

Post Whore
Kearney would make a good centre i think, good speed, good support play, a handfull one on one, be good to see him outside bird at 5/8. Simmo is safer at the back so i would keep him there.

cheese

Bench
Panthers great pack
Souffs great pack
Brizzy great pack
Dogs great pack
Warriors great pack

All very strong forward packs. Bashed them all apart from the warriors last sat

On Kearney

Fullback, no question.

He adds the third option in attack we desperately lack.

And i'm with you on kinga. Another very average player that has a few hero worshippers

Inferno

Coach
Neither pack was really at their best when they played us except the Warriors when they beat us over the weekend. Dogs were missing their SOO players and the panthers were sh*t when we played them in round 1.

Only packs that really stood up to us this year was the bunnies, warriors in game 2, and also the Dragons game 2.

Inferno

Coach
Any suggestions Millers? No point buying anyone unless they are better than who we already have.

bluey

Bench
Carney, Ennis or Aitkon.
We need a centre most but who fits the club, and rickys style???
I would love to get carney i think he is a talent.

Chondricthyes

Juniors
Do we need to buy anyone?

With the youngsters coming through and those already bought I think the talent is here.

Not this year maybe ...

Next year and the 2 following will be mind blowing.

Just keep sendin them up..

I would buy a Prop if we bought anyone. Impact off the bench, bye , bye Loo Loo, Cam, Selmes has been haevily invested in so I think we need to get another year out of him.

I still maintain we are at the start of the Golden Age so I think development will be faster and stability will bring results.

carcharias

Immortal
the little Hughes bloke from the dogs has some agro about him and I beleive he is off contract.

I know people hate him but is he any good?

ghoti

Bench
carcharias said:
the little Hughes bloke from the dogs has some agro about him and I beleive he is off contract.

I've never rated him very highly...he's a solid player, but I think we need someone sharper than Hughes. He brings a lot to the defensive side of things, but his attack is close to non-existant...Kinga or De Gois are both better options IMO.

Cam Smith is well worth paying $400k+ for, I know it flies in the face of my balanced salary opinion, but a player of his quality would be outstanding for the club. Noddy will finally have to take the back seat and we'll have solid, mature, smart direction from the centre of the field. If not, Ennis is a good quality buy. He's versatile with a good kicking game and is a solid attacking player from dummy half...he'll give us options we're lacking. Stuart Webb is another good option if Souths decide to make a play for Hughes...he's an excellent hooker...the defensive ability of Kingston, but has a varied attack and crisp long passing game.

Kearney should wrap up the permanent fullback position...he's our Matt Bowen. Unpredictable and an extra prong in attack. In an ideal world, we could wrap up Dobson and have a Dobson/Watts/Green half roster...but Kimmorley's signed and unlike Since 73' facts, I can't see him going anywhere.

Our pack is one of the best in the comp and doesn't need messing with, but our outside backs are missing a high quality strike player. Pomeroy and Covell have got the left side wrapped up. If we could pick up Wendyll Sailor on low money for a trial it could do a lot of good for us. Brenton Bowen's off contract, and he's the sort of dynamic speedy winger we've been missing. Him and Kearney could forge an awesome combination from the back. Milton Thaiday's also off contract...he was in breathtaking form a few seasons back. Him or Bowen would be great acquisitions.

Other than those, we should be looking at wrapping up our off contract players...Brown, Weston, Perenara and maybe Ciraldo should be signed ASAP.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
carcharias said:

Id rather eat my own vomit

Inferno

Coach
Bowen just signed with the Tits a couple of days ago Ghoti.

Another option with Kearney, hooker? He played it last year great off the bench. His defence probably isn't as strong as Kinga or De Gois's, but he makes up for it in attack, plus it keeps him around the ruck in support, something that has been missing.

Inferno

Coach
ghoti said:
Other than those, we should be looking at wrapping up our off contract players...Brown, Weston, Perenara and maybe Ciraldo should be signed ASAP.

Ciraldo? He'd be at the bottom of my list to be honest. That said he was impressive in PL last week and looks to be getting a shot this week. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

Latest posts