What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player names on jerseys

Misty Bee

First Grade
Ozjet, unless you are my mate (and he has NOTHING to do with Henson Park, unless there is a brothel there), I'm not having a go at you.

Here's another way of looking at it. The average NRLcareer is 2 seasons. After 50 years, that would basically be 425 numbers for EVERY squad of 17, or 1275 numbers for eact team of 3 grades. In the end, we'd need numberplates on the back. Imagine the premiership winning skipper with NKG 764 on his back!

re Warne and Nike, WTF couldn't Nike make Michael Jordan wear Arti Beetson's No. 11? Stupid reason.

Allowing stupid reasons to pick stupid numbers is NOT high upon the agenda for the future of our game.

Misty Bee said:
We should NEVER allow tradition to be fiddled with.
Good point! We should put the scoring system back to 3 point tries, put 2 players back in the starting roster to make it 15 a side and have them all work full time jobs.

On top of that, get rid of 40/20 kicks, revert knock ons to losing the ball regardless where you are facing.

hrundi99

First Grade
salivor said:
Also if we're so keen to give players an individual number. Why not keep their jersey numbers but give them an individual number of when they represented their particular team like the Australian cricket team do and print that on the breast of their jersey. IMO knowing your the number 400 and something player to play for QLD or NSW is much more special than having something like 65 on the back of your jersey.

I like the fact that they do that in the cricket and now for the Kangaroos.

It's a great idea. It's modern and show's respect for heritage at the same time.

hrundi99

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Utterly rediculous idea.

In Rugby League, the numbers mean POSITIONS. This is because of the varied and defined roles each position demands. Therefore, sitting up at Telstra or Suncorp viewing a team of 13 dark haired men can se who is supposed to be doing what.

Parra fans had the embarrassment of seeing our prop becoming playmaker last year (Pearson). It's easy to see this error if the playmaker, rather than wearing 7, is wearing 10.

The Oz cricket team tried this for one dayers. Shane Warn was so taken aback with the massive depth of Australian Sporting tradition that he close 23, reputedly Micheal Jordan's number.

Friggin Jordan. WTF?????

What Australian sporting tradition is there that relates to numbers on cricketers backs?

You would have the same mentality as my mate who'se phone number is his girlfriends measurenments.

I think that's kinda sweet. What's the matter, your measurements too big for your phone number?

As for the names - fine. However, for a meagre sum you can buy Big League - which lists all the players.

I don't think we need the help, as much as the sports that do (ie Onion).

If Seppo sportsfans need help identifying players, it's their problem.

Struth! My throat's as dry as a dead dingo's donger!

Numbers in each of the four North American sports don't relate to specific positions, so it's perfectly reasonable for them to pick the number they want (unless it's been retired).

Let go of your anger darling.