What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player of the Year

Warriors player of the year 2003

• Sione Faumuina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brent Webb

• Stacey Jones

• Logan Swann

• Monty Betham

• Vinnie Anderson

• Henry Fa'afili

• Jerry SeuSeu

• Total voters

Anonymous

Juniors
Yep, so I just copied this idea off a thread in the NRL forum, but I have thought about it before. Who is our player of the year for 2003?

In the NRL forum thread the first 3 or 4 votes were for Francis Meli, and another couple for Sione Faumuina, who are both probably contenders. There was one for Stacey Jones but I can't see it happening.

Other contenders? Maybe Logan Swann, Brent Webb? The much maligned Monty Betham? Anyone else?

I'd go for big Francis.

AliN

Live Update Team
It's a toughie but I think Logan has had his best season ever for us and has helped the younger ones come thru..
others to stand out are Webby and Faumuina

ExJnrKiwi

Juniors
I think you should include everyone in the list, make it 100% objective then.

Webb gets my vote because he's the most improved and has developed into one of the Warriors best attacking options this year.

JoeD

First Grade
My vote went to Francis, I'm not sure if its true but somebody else said he has played every game this year. He has been great on attack and his defence has been punishing at times. (he he just ask some of the broncos)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I dont think francis deserves it this year. While his aggressive tackling has been awesome this year, some parts of his defence have fallen away many a time. And there was a patch in the middle of the year where he seemed to be down on confidence.

I think there are 3 clear cut contenders, being Villa, Sione and Webby. Villa missed a few too mnay games with injury for me to give to him, I prolly would have given it to Webb, cept that I cannot beleive how far Sione has grown as a footballer. From a fringe first grader to a regular first grader, covering many more positions than anyone expected to, he has grown with this challenge. From his flamboyant offloading and running, to his bone crunching D, his maturity, (watch him try n stop toopi fighting all the time) this guy is my warriors of the year.

Tho Webb will win the skytv warrior thing, and rightly so, with marshy and stace having missed a few games, (or a lot!!!) webb has really taken it on himself to get us over the try line. And he has worked at his positional play, everyone agreees his error rate is dropping.

Anonymous

Juniors
ExJnrKiwi- I wanted to put in more options but there is a limit for polls unfortunately :(

Antilag- I don't think I'll put in Villasanti, you might want to reconsider that. How many games has he played in this year- has he even cracked 10 yet? He would be lucky to have had 6 or 7 starts.

bayrep

Juniors
Wow for all the crap that Brent Webb copped this year I am suprised that he is running 2nd equal behind Meli

Francis Meli 33% [ 3 ]
Sione Faumuina 22% [ 2 ]
Brent Webb 22% [ 2 ]

Though there hasnt been a lot of votes yet by the looks :). I am not sure why you would pick Meli his defence is like a bucket with a hole in it. Most attacking teams attack his side of the field becuase they know he is not great on defence.

Anonymous

Juniors
Exactly, because Toopi's out there and because no-one ever marks up. Most wingers struggle marking 3 men.

EJS

Juniors
I actually think V Anderson has had a great season, developing into a solid centre, so I voted for him. Mel's defence is still suss, occassionally

bayrep

Juniors
Meli reminds me of Lomu when they kick in behind him or they run around him with a slick pass he just looks dead in the water.

Anonymous

Juniors
Is the Roosters winger a bad defender as well, because he couldn't turn around and outsprint a flying Meli to the ball on Sunday? No! That's impossible to defend against.

Anonymous

Juniors
Apart from that, he reminds me of Lomu too, the biggest, baddest, most devastating winger in the world :D

Rudolph

Juniors
My vote went to Sione, he's played great all year And i wasn't a fan of his last year.

I dont think u can compare Meli to Lomu, Meli's much better (never been a fan of Lomu, Perhaps the most overrated rugby player of all time) and his defense hasn't been great. He usually comes in when he doesn't have to, it cost us 4 points a game cause they score a try against him every damn game.

Webb would be a close second, he has attacked well in the line (still needs to retuen the ball a bit quicker) and grown in the role, i'd rather him be at stand off but he doing okay.

------------------
Mike

guten_targ

Juniors
I'll take Webb..due his much improved defensive and attacking qualities and his ability to make something out of nothing.

Anonymous

Juniors
I would appreciate it if you actually looked at performances this year, rather than just picking your favourite players.

Clinton Toopi :roll:

Latest posts