What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player swap Norman for Widdop

St Georgio

Juniors
My Gut feeling picking up a wooden spooner 5/8 reject, over a gun player like Widdop was a recipe for disaster, I am always wanting the best for any player wearing the Red V but seriously Norman has to one of the worst buys in recent history of the club, Millward and McGregor must leave at years ends.
Parramatta off loaded a big reject now are Premiership Contenders BUT they should also suffer for giving us Norman, may the pain continue, Let The Drought continue!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There's a couple of journo's and others who are laying into the Dragons for this proposed swap deal.

Many saying he returned to England because he was 'homesick'. Which is bull#!*%. Widdop came to Aust when he was 6. Hardly homesick or had any connection to the Old Dart at that age.

Many saying he 'left us in the lurch'. If I remember correctly he gave us at least 6 months notice and only if we signed a 'suitable' replacement. Compare that with JG who apparantly gave a few weeks notice.

Some people commenting on his kicks into legs and crab running. Under McGregor, with our 5 hit ups and kick, which has also infiltrated Hunts play and to an extent Normans as well, it was comical at times. However, under the 6 again rule and our 'new' attacking structure with Dufty, Lomax etc, his running/kicking game would add further sparkle to it.

A 1yr deal with a club option for another is a no brainer for me. Yes, there are talented youngsters out there such as Burton, who, with a handful of games is a good prospect, however, wouldn't that become a roadblock for our own emerging juniors such as Sullivan?

Speaking of Sullivan, he's signed for another 2 years, a perfect fit for a mentor like Widdop, otherwise his mentor would be, Norman....mmm!

Old Timer

Coach
If it transpires that Widdop does return and career coach does exit as a result it just goes to show how contemptuous the entire club is.

if career coach had never got the job or been bumped after 2 failed years who knows what we might have had re retaining players and enticing quality players.

We certainly know what we got by retaining career coach.

Dragsters

First Grade
What a load of shit from Crawley on Fox, talking about "taking a stand" against Gareth because he apparently walked out on the club.

From what we saw, every step of the process was done with Widdop affording the club plenty of heads up. How often do you see a star player stick around for over a year after the release was actually granted. Rather that kick and stomp for an immediate release, Widdop stayed 12 months and played his heart out, gave us time to replace him, and STILL stayed after Norman signed on.

Not to mention that he has specifically contacted the dragons about a return, as he promised to do if he returned to Australia, before going to any rival clubs.

Gareth did well by us and we could definitely use him next year

Indeed.

Compare this with the SBW scenario.

This bloke jumps on a plane overnight and deserts the dogs to go play a rival code.

Granted this was a while ago but these journos are all fawning over his return as they know it will sell papers...

hazzbeen

Bench
Put all the white noise aside, as it stands this minute. Widdop is a substantial upgrade on Norman.[/QUOTE. Gareth is a big upgrade from Norman , Gareth competed for every ball , and a tough competitor ... Nothing like the Princess we have now ....

possm

Coach
Swaping Widdop would be a backward step now. We need to look forward and groom the talented young juniors we have coming through. I say drop Norman to reserve grade and you will see his manager start looking for an alternative club. Promote Sailor to 6 and if he is not suitable then move Dufty to 6 and begin looking to sign A Johnston from Souths as our fullback. If Millward again can't get the job done, promote Ramsey to fullback.

I would like to see an eventual backline of:
Schiller
Ramsey
Lomax
Feagai
Feagai
Sullivan
Clune

All local juniors with talent and speed. Hopefully, their defensive skills will be at first-grade standards. Now is the time fto ensure these players are signed up long term. It would also be the time for the Club to identify their skill shortfalls and arrange suitable mentors who can arrange for these skill-sets to be improved.

I think appropriate mentoring is something missing from our pathways program. I believe that not only would mentoring by past great players/coaches be good for first-grade preparation, It might just be what is needed to instill loyalty and pride in the big red V back into our player squad.

Bad attitude of some players within our Club must be addressed without delay. A prime example of what could end up being a trend within our junior ranks is the behavior of Jason Saab. Coached and developed into a junior rep by St George, he graduates to the first-grade squad signing a 3-year deal. Then all of a sudden he feels it is too long a journey to training each week. In my day kids would really be proud to play for the big red V and I am sure many from the Illawarra moved house to be close to training at Kogarah. Maybe the answer is to resume training at Kogarah rather then the gong
refecting the need to ensure the St George influence in our Club is not eroded further. Those residing in the gong could be bussed to and from training held in Kogarah.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
This may be an unpopular opinion but whilst I'm okay with us offloading Norman I don't see the benefit in signing Widdop. The guy is at the backend of his career and continues to find injuries no doubt he is a class player but personally I would save the huge $$$ we are going to pay him and invest in the future put Sailor at 5/8 and splash the cash on a winger or a prop.

st.phil

Bench
yeah hate to be a downer and like the romance of it and huge upgrade on Borey Snoreman BUT... he'll want a 3 year deal and thats a lot of cash and he'll be a blocker. We have clune, sullivan, sailor and potentially dufty as 4 really exciting halves prospects in the wings. Add the injuries and the freakshow that will come with the move, it's a "pass" from me

denis preston

First Grade
‘All over the shop’ and ‘clutching at straws’: Why Norman-Widdop swap reflects Dragons mess
NRL Premiership
zac_rayson.jpg

• August 4, 2020 7:43pm
  • Zac Rayson
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
8d731097760ded703e710caf9e13fc8c

Gareth Widdop and Corey Norman could be swapping teams for next season.Source: FOX SPORTS
The bombshell report that the Dragons are in talks over a potential swap deal involving Corey Norman and former playmaker Gareth Widdop has left the NRL in shock – but there’s fierce debate over whether the move is a good one for the club.

The NRL360 panel said the news ‘fits the theme’ of the ‘all over the shop’ St George Illawarra club – while Paul Crawley believes the Dragons must prove what they ‘stand for’ by rejecting Widdop after he walked out on them last year.

The Daily Telegraph report of the swap came after news 29-year-old Norman was dropped for this week’s clash against the Roosters.

Ben Ikin said on Fox League: “Norman (was) dropped this week. It’s seeming to me his career is coming to an end with the Red V.”

And Paul Kent revealed the club had offered the former State of Origin playmaker to a number of NRL rivals.

“They’ve been privately shopping around Corey Norman to other NRL clubs. There’s been, I would say, tepid interest from the other clubs about taking him on.

“He’s on $850k a year which the Dragons inherited from Parramatta’s contract. It’s a lot of freight to take with you as far as a contract goes.”

But he said the swap was a solid option for the side: “A lot’s got to happen, but in principal it sounds like a good deal.”

Brent Read agreed, saying: “I like the trade though … Gareth Widdop’s a good player, he’s a leader. Provided he’s over the shoulder problems, I quite like the swap.

“The way Corey Norman’s playing, you can’t get much worse!”

But his fellow panellists weren’t so sure, given Widdop’s ugly exit from the club.

Paul Crawley said: “Everything about the Dragons is all over the shop at the minute. Seriously, Gareth Widdop was the bloke last year that wanted to get out of the final two years of his contract.

“[He] Let the club down, pretty much forced them into going to find a replacement that was Corey Norman. And now they’re going to bring him back at 31?

“He’s a gun player, Gareth Widdop, when he’s on. But what does your business stand for? He walked out on them, he left them in the lurch, and now you’re taking him back.”

Ben Ikin responded, saying the news showed the club was struggling with a lack of a clear direction: “This fits with the theme of the Dragons … The Dragons at the moment, there’s so much uncertainty.”

Paul Kent agreed with that prognosis, saying: “I don’t know if they’ve got anybody that’s really steering the ship there at the moment. They’re a club that’s clutching at straws with their decision making.

“They let him go because he wanted to return home. He’s been back 12 months and now he wants to come back?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ef1e72f6871684f3e9390b28edf0bdee

But what does your business stand for? He walked out on them, he left them in the lurch, and now you’re taking him back.”

Ben Ikin responded, saying the news showed the club was struggling with a lack of a clear direction: “This fits with the theme of the Dragons … The Dragons at the moment, there’s so much uncertainty.”

Paul Kent agreed with that prognosis, saying: “I don’t know if they’ve got anybody that’s really steering the ship there at the moment. They’re a club that’s clutching at straws with their decision making.

It's great that most now acknowledge that the Board & the Gordons are a bloody mess but how do we get change ??? Go screaming to the NRL for a performance audit on our management ( to protect their investment ) ?

Dragon David

First Grade
This may be an unpopular opinion but whilst I'm okay with us offloading Norman I don't see the benefit in signing Widdop. The guy is at the backend of his career and continues to find injuries no doubt he is a class player but personally I would save the huge $$$ we are going to pay him and invest in the future put Sailor at 5/8 and splash the cash on a winger or a prop.

Widdop wasn't a world beater when he played for us. In fact he was frustrating to watch with his grubber kicks into legs, not having quick acceleration to go through any gaps and a lot of lateral movement. General play kicking was OK, goal kicking was great, defence wasn't too bad and having said this, he overall was much better than Norman.

We need to blood our youngsters and give them all of the opportunities to play first grade without any shadow of a doubt in the very near future, well starting in 2021 at least. Widdop could very well block their pathways which we would not like to see and hopefully the coaches and recruiters ensure that this does not happen.

If we can offload Norman and Widdop comes back, I'd only give him say a year to help the juniors out. Maybe the juniors won't need him anyway.

Essentially, Sailor is worth keeping 100%. He is young, can play fullback, wing, halves so is a great utility to have in the team. He is a good kicker in general play and also can kick goals. He needs schooling more in defence. Mary should not muck him around. Put him in the starting side with Clune in the halves, play Hunt at hooker and McInnes at lock. Four forwards on the bench. Injury free, keep this for the remaining games we have this year.

End of Story

matPORTS

Juniors
Bad attitude of some players within our Club must be addressed without delay. A prime example of what could end up being a trend within our junior ranks is the behavior of Jason Saab. Coached and developed into a junior rep by St George, he graduates to the first-grade squad signing a 3-year deal. Then all of a sudden he feels it is too long a journey to training each week. In my day kids would really be proud to play for the big red V and I am sure many from the Illawarra moved house to be close to training at Kogarah. Maybe the answer is to resume training at Kogarah rather then the gong refecting the need to ensure the St George influence in our Club is not eroded further. Those residing in the gong could be bussed to and from training held in Kogarah.

The Red V Podcast crew made a very good point on the Saab situation - if he's in the 2009-2011 Dragons squad, would he be complaining about the three hour round trip to training each day? He may not have been getting in ahead of BMoz, Nighty and Wendell (in the case of 09)... but I'm sure he'd be loving it within the winning environment.

Again, all of this comes back to the maniacs running the asylum - The Board & McGregor. Nothing is going to change unless they change or remove themselves.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I’d welcome him back in a heartbeat and he is a major improvement on the Norman dud.
You got to wonder why the sudden change of heart to want to return back to Oz after walking out on the club to finish his career in his birth country.
I strongly suspect.......Happy Wife = Happy Life

Or perhaps he may know some news about a new coach at the Dragons for 2021?

YoHadrian

Juniors
One of the reasons Widdip left so quickly and abruptly was his relationship with McGregor was untenable.

Now he wants back to the Dragons.

It's a long bow but he wouldn't return if this was the same situation.

Don't forget that JG is also due back 'in the new year' not as a player, but!!!

Perhaps someone told him via back channels that McNong is only running the show in name now.

Latest posts