What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Swap - O'Hara for Sherwin???

Dogs Of War

Coach
colonel_123 said:
Someone mentioned on the Wests Tigers forum that there was a radio discussion about the possibility of a mid-season player swap between two players, one of them a former rep player.

I presume this would be about O'Hara (being the former rep player) and Sherwin?

It was also reported by some posters who attended Wests Tigers open training session that they spotted Malcolm Noad there.

Would be interesting to see if it went ahead, although it makes sense, both players are currently stuck in premier league and both fill need positions for the other club. (O'hara, if O'Meley goes)

I wonder what the rules about a player transfer might be, especially since I'd imagine Sherwin's contract would be worth more then O'Hara's (although O'Hara is probably on a sizeable contract as well).

I think that this would be great. Dogs would get some forward depth for this season, and hopefully see O'Hara get back to that potenial he once had. While offloading Sherwin and freeing up some cap room (maybe to offer O'Meley more money to stay at the Dogs)

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
O'Hara used to be good.

If Sherwin goes and Benny gets injured then we're up sh*t creek without a paddle.

I'd rather keep Shifty, develop Roberts and sign some young up and coming props.

Or even better, promote our juniors.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Paying the money that Shifty is on, to play reserve grade is just stupid. At least O'Hara may turn things around at the dogs, and is a ready to go this season for depth in the forwards.

If Roberts get injured then so be it, this happens to all clubs from time to time, as much as it pains me to say it, we still have Corey Hughes for this season, as well as Billy Ngawini depending on which way Folkes wants to go if this eventuates.

The kicker really is that with Sherwin gone, we may be able to resign O'Meley for next season with the extra money we would now have.

jimmythehand

Juniors
I like the idea of Shifty the number one half back and roberts either a utility or hooker.

I'm not going to be too disappointed if we lose O'Meley, he's prone to handling errors and giving away penalties and sometimes he really takes it up like a cat and just ducks into tackles (he might be getting out of this habit now). I used to rate him very highly but don't have as much respect for him any more.

Ridders

Coach
would be a joke of a move. dogs r fine in the prop department with Armit and Hickey good replacements with armit probably moving into the starting position if o'meley leaves.

I have to agree with you jimmy in the sense that i wouldn't mind o'meley leaving either. While he was once a great prop, recently i've had serious doubts about his forms. To me he at times just seems to surrender in tackles by just going to ground easily.
O'meley leaving would also leave us some cap room which we could use to either top up some of the contracts of existing players like hazem or go out on the market next year.

Where we don't really have depth is in the halves position. If roberts were to get injured, who'd step up to fill the role. To see hughes at the halfback position would make me cry. I'd be happier to see sherwin as the starting halfback with roberts as our interchange hooker. Some of the dummy-half runs he had against the rabbits were gun and gained us at least 10-15 metres.

ShineDog

Juniors
We need Shifty Sherwin, O'Hara has talent and would add depth to our bench, however I personally would not get rid of Shifty.

I would like to see this following team run out next week...(I know I'm dreaming though...what are your thoughts???)

1. PATTEN
2. EL MASRI
3. TONGA
4. EMELIO
5. CUTLER/MILLARD
6. HOLDSWORTH
7.SHERWIN
8. O'MELEY
9. UTAI
10. MASON
11. SBW
12. RYAN
13. MAITUA
---
14. ROBERTS
15. ARMIT
16. CLEAL
17. HICKEY/KOUPARITSAS

cb4

First Grade
utai at hooker, tough call, dont think it would work but everything is worth a shot

jimmythehand

Juniors
well the whole selection fiasco seems to smell of something like that happening. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a done deal and we're fast tracking roberts to be our next halfback.

obviouslyrat

Juniors
i dont think we should get rid of shifty for O'hara. Looking at our team for starters, i think our main problem is in the halves...We have like the best forward pack on paper and our backline is dangerous and can match any backline in the competition. Losing Shifty means we're losing the best half we have at the moment.

O'hara WAS good, he isnt in his best form, i dont think he even gets a starting role for the tigpies. Imo, we keep shifty, even if losing him means more chance of retaining shrek. I say therers plenty of young talents out there, who can support our forward pack.

Latest posts